Author Topic: Trump paused student loan payments while Biden restarted them  (Read 279 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Trump paused student loan payments while Biden restarted them
« on: December 15, 2021, 06:48:10 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216144574

Fun thread.   :rofl:

wellst0nev0ter (7,026 posts)

If you don't think that's how people are going to interpret how things went down, then us Dems will be looking forward to a miserable midterm.

Cuthbert Allgood (3,589 posts)

1. It's accurate.

He ran on this, has the power to do something, and isn't. And then we will somehow be shocked when millennials don't get excited for the next election.

mcar (37,654 posts)

2. He ran on this?

WHO are the low information voters?   :lmao:

AngryOldDem (11,961 posts)

10. My son absolutely loathes Biden for this.

But he doesn’t credit Trump with suspending the payments, either. All he knows is, come February, he’s back in that rabbit hole of debt.

I can’t really talk politics with him because he knows it all and our conversations can get tense. But I’d be willing to bet that he won’t be voting Democratic for a long time, if he votes at all. He’s squarely with the Progressives and has been extremely frustrated that the party doesn’t seem to listen to younger voters.

So ... your son just magically didn't have to make his payments?  Gotcha.

11. I share his frustrations

And what I fear is that low-information voters, the voters that might lean Democratic if we played our cards right, will blame Biden for restarting the student loan payments that The Great Trump had halted.

W_HAMILTON (4,634 posts)

30. It's not a half-measure.

And due to various life circumstances that have derailed my professional career (as mentioned in previous posts), I've pretty much come to the conclusion that paying the absolute minimum (through an income-based repayment program) and then having my student loans discharged after 20 years is my best route financially.

And I don't have a larger tax bill and won't have one for 15-20 years (or however long I have left to pay, I haven't even figured it out yet with all the pandemic pauses and other $0 payment periods, etc.). I figure by then, the student loan situation will be resolved or our democracy will have ended because those so vehement about student loans decided to sit out more elections and let Republicans win, so, either way, it's not really a priority of mine at this very moment.

So you're basically admitting that you, as a college educated person (who probably thinks of yourself as better than those without a college education), are going to knowingly default on a loan AND you are screwing the tax system you tout so much?  Gotcha.  By the way, I notice this DUmmie is a Star member at DU ... S/he can afford the star (unless donated), but can't pay back their student loan?

helpisontheway (4,648 posts)

25. I think my son feels the same way about Biden

He did not want to vote for Biden. He liked Bernie. I begged him to vote for Biden instead of not voting. I told him that Biden would write off the 10,000 whereas Trump would not do a thing for him. Doubt he will vote for Biden again if he runs. I don’t understand why Biden would promise young adults something that he had no intention of doing.

liberal_mama (790 posts)

35. My son feels the same way! He's always been a liberal democrat but sees this as a betrayal

With inflation and high gas prices, it's going to be very hard for a lot of people to make their payments. People are going to get very angry and I worry that the republican fascists are going to clean up in 2022.

At the very least, they should adjust the income based repayment to a lower amount.

The writing is practically on the wall.  Y'all see it, but you're afraid to acknowledge just how bad this administration is because you don't want to be hit with the ban hammer at your beloved DU.

betsuni (18,145 posts)

61. It's being used as a populist purity test, like Medicare for All was.

Biden can be accused of breaking imaginary promises (lying), proof that the party only pretends to be progressive, that they do nothing and stand for nothing, don't stop Republicans, both sides same, etc. Goal is for young potential Democratic voters to become cynical and not vote.

The whole BUT HIS PROMISES helps Republicans.

Well, it's on video so I think it's probably not as imaginary as you would like it to be.

AncientAndy (25 posts)

40. Your link defines young voters as 18-29.

I don’t think we should be forgiving student debt for people 29 and younger. A 29 year old with a BA is only seven years out of college. I don’t expect anyone to pay off their loans in that little time. This should be for long-term holders only.

42. Means testing doesn't win you votes

AncientAndy (25 posts)

44. Neither would unfair benefits.

Somebody who graduated last year would get their debt paid off but someone who graduates next year doesn’t? It don’t see how we can sell that. Unless we plan on doing this debt relief every few years.

45. Win more election, cancel more debt

Do nice things.

Not that complicated.

AncientAndy (25 posts)

51. That doesn't make a lot sense.

Win more elections, yes! But unless we tackle the cost of tuition first we’ll end up in a situation like I said. People who graduated a year before win the lotto, and anyone who graduates after is screwed unless we forgive it again.

AncientAndy is just being obtuse.  He's totally missing wellst0nev0ter's point.  Let me help AA out ... He's saying you should just BUY votes using other people's money.  There, is it more clear now?

More at the link.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Muddling 2

Re: Trump paused student loan payments while Biden restarted them
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 08:10:56 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216144574

Fun thread.   :rofl:

WHO are the low information voters?   :lmao:

So ... your son just magically didn't have to make his payments?  Gotcha.

So you're basically admitting that you, as a college educated person (who probably thinks of yourself as better than those without a college education), are going to knowingly default on a loan AND you are screwing the tax system you tout so much?  Gotcha.  By the way, I notice this DUmmie is a Star member at DU ... S/he can afford the star (unless donated), but can't pay back their student loan?

Well, it's on video so I think it's probably not as imaginary as you would like it to be.

AncientAndy is just being obtuse.  He's totally missing wellst0nev0ter's point.  Let me help AA out ... He's saying you should just BUY votes using other people's money.  There, is it more clear now?

More at the link.

KC

I have to wonder what other debts one voluntarily assumes the DUmmies think one shouldn't be obligated to repay?
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 08:43:40 AM »
I don’t understand why Biden would promise young adults something that he had no intention of doing.

Hi, you must be new here.

Offline Karin

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 08:47:52 AM »
Star Member wellst0nev0ter (7,031 posts)

46. Cancel the debt by executive order

And dare the courts to reinstate it.

The courts will be packed in a week.

:lmao: :mental:

I don't really remember Biden running on this.  I remember him in a basement, or telling dumb stories. 

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 08:51:53 AM »
46. Cancel the debt by executive order

And dare the courts to reinstate it.

The courts will be packed in a week.

The democratic party's new method of  of arguing policy: "JUST DO IT!!!!"

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 08:54:55 AM »

If you don't think that's how people are going to interpret how things went down, then us Dems will be looking forward to a miserable midterm.
student loans aside, you dems are going to look like 8 hour old dog shit on a sidewalk in New York City in the middle of August in next year's midterms

AngryOldDem (11,961 posts)

10. My son absolutely loathes Biden for this.

But he doesn’t credit Trump with suspending the payments, either. All he knows is, come February, he’s back in that rabbit hole of debt.
and who put him into that rabbit hole?

helpisontheway (4,648 posts)

25. I think my son feels the same way about Biden

liberal_mama (790 posts)

35. My son feels the same way! He's always been a liberal democrat but sees this as a betrayal

I blame bad parenting skills

45. Win more election, cancel more debt

Do nice things.

who's going to pay for it?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020