Author Topic: The 1964 Presidential Election Keeps Coming to Mind Somehow...Minern  (Read 2640 times)

Offline CC27

MineralMan (87,807 posts)

The 1964 Presidential Election Keeps Coming to Mind Somehow...

I was only 19 years old that year, so I couldn't vote, but I remember it like it was yesterday, rather than 52 years ago. It may be that some DUers don't remember it at all, though. In fact, it may be that most DUers don't. Check it out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1964
or
http://www.270towin.com/1964_Election/

The electoral college, that year, gave LBJ 486 votes. His opponent, Barry Goldwater, could only muster 52 electoral votes. It was one of the big landslide victories - historical, in fact, for Democrats.

As Donald Trump spirals ever downward, just three weeks from the election, I keep remembering the press coverage of the 1964 election and the blind support so many conservatives gave to Goldwater.

Goldwater won just six states. Five were the classic Southern states, and the other was Arizona, his home state. That was it. The nation voted blue. Overwhelmingly.

What will November 8 reveal? I doubt it will be as massive a victory for Hillary Clinton, but I feel the landslide starting to slowly creep down the mountain, even now. Months ago, I predicted a Hillary win with 350+ electoral votes. The question is how many votes will be represented by that + sign? As momentum grows in that sliding mass of earth, it could be more than any of us think.

We'll know soon enough...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/12512519797

I hope and pray Trump wins so your pretentious ass is crying in a corner on election night.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: The 1964 Presidential Election Keeps Coming to Mind Somehow...Minern
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 03:01:58 PM »
Minnesota Moses needs to review his memory.....or at least the history books.

If he's seeking parallels between 1964 and 2016, it doesn't look as if there's hardly any at all.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline CC27

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »

If he's seeking parallels between 1964 and 2016, it doesn't look as if there's hardly any at all.

I don't know why Coach but rock head is the one DUmmie that really gets under my skin.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »
I don't know why Coach but rock head is the one DUmmie that really gets under my skin.

He's stuffy.  He's condescending.  He's haemorrhoidal.

That's why.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 03:13:13 PM »
Texas going blue?  Oklahoma, Arkansas & Kansas as well?  Someday perhaps, but not this year.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 03:18:02 PM »
I am not predicting anything other then it will be close.
DUmbasses really should learn to stop listening to each other.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »
Obama wasn't assassinated and Hillary didn't take over. There was no way a Republican was going to beat LBJ that year.

He's stuffy.  He's condescending.  He's haemorrhoidal.

That's why.

Yep, and he's also denser than a sack of hammers yet he thinks of himself as some intellectual:

Thank goodness for Al Franken. But we almost didn’t get him into office. We almost had Norm Coleman as the junior senator for Minnesota.

Here’s why that happened, and why everyone needs to pay attention to what happened:
The Franken campaign, for reasons I will never understand, failed to connect with new voters who supported President Obama.

At my Saint Paul precincts polling place, I took my time when I showed up to vote. I was watching what went on. What I saw told me why the Franken/Coleman race was so close, while Obama swept the state.

I was at the polling place for about an hour. In that time, at least a third of the voters were registering at the polling place. It was clear that they had not voted before…ever. Some were black, some were Hmong, some were hispanic. To a person, once they got their ballot, they were in the voting booth for less than 30 seconds.

They voted for President Obama, then ran their ballot through the scanner. They didn’t vote for any other candidate or any other issue…only for Obama.

The Franken campaign did not align itself with the Obama campaign and make it clear that voting for Franken was as important as voting for Obama. I saw no campaign ads stressing that.
I mentioned this to a few people in the Franken campaign, long before the election, but the concept seemed foreign to them. They couldn’t visualize anyone casting just a vote for President. Surely, they thought, these new voters would vote for DFL candidates down the line.

The results show that not to be the case. Campaigns need to pay attention to the details. They need to get every vote. Nothing else will do.

We almost had Norm Coleman as our Senator, ladies and gentlemen. Imagine!
If you’re involved in a campaign, keep this in mind. How many people will go to the polls and vote for the Governor’s race and stop there? Don’t make Franken’s mistake and miss those votes. We need to work together. It’s not just the campaign you’re working on…it’s progressivism across the board.
–MineralMan on DU

http://mnprogressiveproject.com/why-al-franken-almost-lost-the-election-a-cautionary-tale/

he WAS the Senator until MM and the others committed  massive election fraud and installed Stuart Smalley. Rockhead is an appropriate nic for MM.

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 03:43:55 PM »
Here you go, Rockhead. 

This one is just as accurate as yours. 

Deplorable since 2016

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 04:00:12 PM »
And with LBJ you got an escalation of Vietnam that you spent the rest of his term marching against. Just can't be happy, can you rockhead?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 10:22:26 PM »
Reagan won 525-13 in 1984, the biggest landslide in HISTORY!!!
Period!
EOD, Minnieman.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 10:35:35 PM »
I am not predicting anything other then it will be close.
DUmbasses really should learn to stop listening to each other.

Exactly. I keep thinking 1960 or 2000.

The reason Lyndon B. Johnson won in 1964 is because of John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963. He did not run in 1968.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chariot

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 01:29:48 AM »
And with LBJ you got an escalation of Vietnam that you spent the rest of his term marching against. Just can't be happy, can you rockhead?

Apparently my father was told that if he voted for Goldwater, the Vietnam war would escalate. He voted for him and what'd-ya-know?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 06:53:18 AM »

Oh, the issues are quite different, but one thing they have in common is that the press was heavily slanted in favor of Johnson, as the inheritor of the whole fictitious Camelot romance.  Turned out poorly, with Johnson trumping up a disastrous war that ended badly all around and (As was revealed after his death) being that he was a psycho and a physical coward with a baloney war record to boot.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline samspade

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 07:22:58 AM »
Exactly. I keep thinking 1960 or 2000.

The reason Lyndon B. Johnson won in 1964 is because of John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963. He did not run in 1968.
I recall at the time when the 1964 election was going on that Kennedy was still held in favor and it was not till later we heard about his womanizing.  Jackie was going around without her husband to various places and I wondered why.   Yeah they made a big production about how she dressed.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 07:30:07 AM »
Texas going blue?  Oklahoma, Arkansas & Kansas as well?  Someday perhaps, but not this year.

Which leads me to my new POTUS candidate (the QAPLAH! Party):
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 08:04:58 AM »
Which leads me to my new POTUS candidate (the QAPLAH! Party):

I'd rather see him as the Attorney General prosecuting Her Heinous and her toadies.
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 09:04:50 PM »
I recall at the time when the 1964 election was going on that Kennedy was still held in favor and it was not till later we heard about his womanizing.  Jackie was going around without her husband to various places and I wondered why.   Yeah they made a big production about how she dressed.

Very interesting. I remember reading that Secret Service knew that John F. Kennedy had an affair with Marilyn Monroe.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 08:19:14 AM »
Can't we start with the robbery that occurred during the 1960 election?  As the MSM set its hair on fire over the Trump comment the other night I caught one  savvy reporter mentioning that Nixon conceded the election knowing there was provable fraud in Chicago (and at least three other cities).   :fuelfire:

Of course we are not here to discuss Nixon, but it was Old Bootlegger Joe Kennedy and Mayor Eugene Daley who orchestrated the whole thing. 

Now when Landslide Lyndon (so named for his first questionable victory) ran against Goldwater he brought his corrupt tactics with him.  What they did to Goldwater in the whisper media was a crime.  Who remembers "The Daisy Ad"* which only had to run once  to be picked up by the media and run over and over on the nightly news?  Yes those were the days.  I still remember the chants of "Hey, hey, LBJ, How many kids did you kill today?"

Daisy Ad Links

What kind of a man was LBJ??

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/jul/06/internationaleducationnews.humanities

LBJ's medal for valour 'was sham'
Julian Borger in Washington
Friday 6 July 2001 05.38 EDT

For most of his political life, Lyndon B Johnson wore a second world war military decoration for valour under fire despite never having seen combat, an investigation broadcast on CNN yesterday revealed.

LBJ was awarded the Silver Star, the third-highest US combat medal, for a 1942 fact-finding mission over the Pacific while he was a Texas congressman and an acting lieutenant commander in the navy.

The citation, issued in the name of General Douglas MacArthur, said the plane, a B-26 bomber, was "intercepted by eight hostile fighters" and that Johnson "evidenced coolness".

In fact, according to surviving members of the crew, the plane developed mechanical problems before reaching its target and never came under fire. No other crew member received a medal for the mission.

The biographer of LBJ, Robert Dallek, said the medal was the outcome of a deal with Gen MacArthur, under which Johnson was honoured in return for a pledge "that he would lobby the president, FDR, to provide greater resources for the southwest Pacific theatre".

That was LBJ, Stolen Valor and a lot of dead kids.  What a guy.  :popcorn:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline SVPete

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 08:37:34 AM »
Can't we start with the robbery that occurred during the 1960 election?  As the MSM set its hair on fire over the Trump comment the other night I caught one  savvy reporter mentioning that Nixon conceded the election knowing there was provable fraud in Chicago (and at least three other cities).   :fuelfire:

Of course we are not here to discuss Nixon, but it was Old Bootlegger Joe Kennedy and Mayor Eugene Daley who orchestrated the whole thing. 

Now when Landslide Lyndon (so named for his first questionable victory) ran against Goldwater he brought his corrupt tactics with him.  What they did to Goldwater in the whisper media was a crime.  Who remembers "The Daisy Ad"* which only had to run once  to be picked up by the media and run over and over on the nightly news?  Yes those were the days.  I still remember the chants of "Hey, hey, LBJ, How many kids did you kill today?"

Daisy Ad Links

What kind of a man was LBJ??

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/jul/06/internationaleducationnews.humanities

That was LBJ, Stolen Valor and a lot of dead kids.  What a guy.  :popcorn:

Without commenting on the wisdom of what JFK did, both LBJ and JFK enlisted to get an item on their political resumes'. JFK actually served; LBJ went on a "fact-finding" tour that went awry.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »
Without commenting on the wisdom of what JFK did, both LBJ and JFK enlisted to get an item on their political resumes'. JFK actually served; LBJ went on a "fact-finding" tour that went awry.

I have heard rumors that a John Kerry managed 3 purple hearts while on a photo shoot.
Does anyone know if such a person was there?

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 10:12:41 AM »
I have heard rumors that a John Kerry managed 3 purple hearts while on a photo shoot.
Does anyone know if such a person was there?

Good analysis of the heroics of J. F. Kerry here:

http://www.militarycorruption.com/kerry4.htm

KERRY’S C.O. DISPUTES VALIDITY OF FIRST “WOUND”

Grant Hibbard of Gulf Breeze, Fla., a retired Navy officer, told MilitaryCorruption.com he was the commanding officer to whom Kerry reported his “battle wound” on Dec. 3, 1968.

“I had confirmed that there was no hostile fire that night and that Kerry had simply wounded himself with an M-79 grenade round he fired too close. He wanted a Purple Heart, and I refused.”

The former Navy commander said Louis Letson, the base physician, saw Kerry and used tweezers to remove a tiny piece of shrapnel – about 1 centimeter in length and 2 millimeters in diameter – from the lieutenant j.g.’s (junior grade) forearm.

“Letson confirmed that the scratch had been self-inflicted when Kerry clumsily used the M-79.”

It’s been more than 35 years since the incident, but Hibbard still recalls Kerry’s actions with disgust.

“It is unacceptable to nominate yourself for a combat award. It compromises the basic military principle that we survive together.. To promote yourself is to denigrate your team . . . Kerry orchestrated his way out of Vietnam [in four months – a third of the required tour of duty] and then testified, under oath, before Congress that we, his comrades, had committed horrible war crimes..

“This testimony was a lie and slandered honorable men.
We, who were actually there, believe he is unfit to command our sons and daughters.”

Kerry was a disgusting disgrace to the USN.  That is  all.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline SVPete

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 11:05:07 AM »
With no hostile fire happening, what was Kerry doing? Screwing around?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 02:27:34 PM »
With no hostile fire happening, what was Kerry doing? Screwing around?
"Hey! How far do you think that peacock will splatter with this grenade?!"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 05:21:48 PM »
"Hey! How far do you think that peacock will splatter with this grenade?!"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's why he didn't hit it--it was one of those Nebraskan peacocks! :whistling: :tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 08:17:28 PM »
Reagan won 525-13 in 1984, the biggest landslide in HISTORY!!!
Period!
EOD, Minnieman.

2nd biggest electoral landslide was 1972  Nixon 520, McGovern 18.  Take that Dummies.