Author Topic: a demand by certain DUers for a military coup in the US ...  (Read 534 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
a demand by certain DUers for a military coup in the US ...
« on: April 18, 2020, 02:28:13 PM »
Star Member Hekate (60,263 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213303597

It's baaaaack: a demand by certain DUers for a military coup in the US ...
Some of you have been around awhile, and some are new (or "new" ) .

I'm one of those who keep saying hell no.

But this is your opportunity to fully express yourselves. I would love to hear it explained in full: how the US military, which is designed to be non-political, would up and do what you want. How the US, which is designed to be a republic, would remain a republic after a military overthrow. How the inevitable armed insurrection by the heavily armed knuckle-draggers would be put down. How any of this is supposed to work to our benefit.

I really want to know. Thank you.

:whatever:

Star Member The Velveteen Ocelot (82,111 posts)

1. What the hell is wrong with some people who call themselves liberals?

Are all kinds of deplorable authoritarian and anti-constitutional solutions just fine when Democrats do them? No, actually, they are not just fine, no matter who does them, and I can't think of many worse solutions than a military coup.

:rotf:

RandiFan1290 (5,378 posts)

6. I've seen it from a few zombie accounts

Dead for years and all of a sudden active and posting

Oh, yes... of course.... it's the trolls and russian bots who do it all...  :whatever:

Star Member Andy823 (10,589 posts)

7. Yep the trolls are still here

I saw a post a few days back where someone said the guy who slashed tires at a hospital, he was on drugs, should be "executed" instead of getting him some help in treatment and then face charges.

Thomas Hurt (5,839 posts)

10. Emotional reactions to the christofascist agenda and touting fascist means to an end...not good.

Lets take a breath everyone. We have beaten this dead horse before.

He isn't going to be removed under the 25th, he isn't going to impeached and removed, he isn't going to be overthrown.

We have to win the election, unfortunately that has been the only way we were going to be rid of this pig since the day he took office.

Numbers of dead are just numbers. The magical thinkers don't get what 30K dead means, and many of them don't care at all.

Some of them only wish that more libs were dead.

:mental:

LizBeth (1,533 posts)

15. There are four sheriffs refusing to do duty in Michigan in the no gathering/no protest dilemma.

If you are suggesting that the military step in against rw out there protesting or coup against Trump, there will be many that would refuse first off. But then, I am not sure what you are talking about here, so I can be way off. But really, for us Dems to even think the military would hold honor over political party, not gonna happen. We have seen it over the last three years. Trump going after respected military and still they excuse and support and will vote for him.

:whatever:

procon (14,182 posts)

16. I'm having trouble understanding the logic of Trump vs a coup.

Yes, we can probably agree that Trump is the worst president with country has ever endured. We hate his lies, his bullying, the bragging, the petty retaliation, the long running vendettas and his embarrassing stupidity. We've endured his immorality and lack of ethics for far too long. His disdain for the traditional norms of our society, and his blatant disregard for the rule of law, leaves us outraged and drives us to find bizarre solutions in questionable decisions.

Opting for coup, especially in this country that prides itself on the adherence to the rule of law, is the ultimate insult. For all the evil Trump has done, for his selfishness in bending the law to benefit himself and ignoring the existing laws to peddle his self serving agenda regardless of who he hurt, we cannot follow in his tracks.

If we have learned nothing during Trump's reign of errors, it is the enduring value of our Constitution. We would be going far worse damage than Trump if we think to set aside the Constitution and start a military coup.

:yawn:

Star Member VMA131Marine (2,715 posts)

17. We already have the power to end Trump's unPresidency in November.

You have to vote Biden even if you have to crawl over broken glass to do it. He has to win big enough that not even Trump can question the legitimacy of his loss, even though he will anyway. The period from the election to inauguration is going to be a total shitshow. Don’t expect Trump to help with the transition or attend the swearing in.

:bs:

roamer65 (18,695 posts)

23. I bet the generals and admirals are talking right now, though.

The “liberate” bullshit from today I’m sure got their attention.

If there is a “coup”, COVID-45 will be shoved aside on medical concerns and Pence will take office.

You won’t see troops in the streets.

:lmao:

EndlessWire (813 posts)

32. Well, I'm sorry to have this opinion but, this guy is a DICTATOR. He is not going to stop increasing his power. This is not a time to just assume that we will even *have* an election in November, or that he won't cheat to win. We have to have a plan in place: Plan A, Plan B, Plan C.

He has traitors helping him, and protecting him. He wipes his ass with the Constitution. No, I'm not advocating a military coup, but neither am I saying that extraordinary action will be ignored.

Eventually, this "man" will have someone come and shoot you DEAD for daring to criticize him. That's what dictators do. So, we gave him emergency powers, and he needs to keep a plausible reason for martial law, and at anytime he gets a wild itch on his backside he can declare martial law--because we gave the power to him.

So, he's gonna foment chaos, keep the virus going, and it is reality that he really could conceivably order troops in to keep the peace. HIS peace. Because we said he could!

It's nice to live in a country where we never had to consider that our President might by the domestic enemy. Gosh. But, if we find ourselves under Trump's thumb with no end in sight, then we will have to find a way to overthrow the government of a tyrant. And, we will have to be pristine as the driven snow while we do it. But, that's what it's coming to.

:censored:

ExciteBike66 (1,752 posts)

26. I'm not pro-coup, but...

"How the inevitable armed insurrection by the heavily armed knuckle-draggers would be put down."

Let's just say...these guys aren't ISIS material. They have lived relatively comfy lives in the wealthiest nation on earth and of course have zero experience fighting a modern military (even the vets, when was the last time we fought a modern power?)

I would be more worried about the individual soldiers and sailors in our military taking sides.

J
amastiene (36,714 posts)

36. I don't see a military coup working here, but

If Congress, well, the Senate, specifically, had done its damn job instead of bring so corrupt, we at least would not have such an unhinged madman as president, calling for civil war right now.

I think people are very frustrated when they talk about a military coup. The fact is, this is a partisan, Democratic Party web site. The opposition party is running amok right now, with a president THREATENING DEMOCRATIC GOVERNORS through his insane, out of control, temper tantrum pitching followers. People on a DEMOCRATIC web site are going to get frustrated by that. Playing nice has not gotten us anywhere. People here are frustrated. I overlook the calls for a military coup, because I see that they are frustrated, and rightfully so. Their hearts are in the right place and I don't question their passion for our party and our country, because I know playing nice is getting us nowhere.

Star Member honest.abe (4,064 posts)

38. What if Trump is able to win in November and begins to consolidate his power even more?

And becomes a true dictator.. Putin style? I do believe that is his ultimate goal.

Star Member Hekate (60,263 posts)

48. Trump can't see past tomorrow's TV ratings anymore. Putin is the brains in the story....

Trump never had a political grand plan, because he's not a politician. He is what he always has been: a rich kid who used Daddy's money to get his start, a failed businessman (bankrupt over and over), a huckster, a con man. He has not got a clue about how government works and why we have government. He thinks everything is a crooked business deal -- hence Ukraine.

Many powerful Republicans saw him for what he was, but thought they could control the monster and get more of what they wanted: power and money. Mitch McConnell is one.

Putin, otoh, plans to break apart Western democratic alliances. Think about that. NATO, Paris Climate Accord, European Union -- everything that statesmen sweated to achieve: stability and peace from 1946 onward, everything we hoped & prayed for when we thought our world might be blown to atoms in WW III. Every POTUS from FDR and Truman to Barack Obama.

To Trump, they are obstacles to "deals" where he can play one against the other for personal monetary gain -- he even thought NATO was a trade alliance. He is a very stupid and ignorant man. Putin is neither stupid nor ignorant.

To Putin, all those Western democratic states and their alliances are reminders that the glory days of the USSR as a feared and powerful empire are over, and he wants the power and the glory back. As long as the US and the European Union remain united, he can't get what he wants. If he can find the right cracks and drive wedges in, it all falls apart into separate squabbling nations without the power they/we have now.

Putin had a hand in Brexit. He has had a hand in agitation to break apart the EU. We know he had a hand in making sure Hillary Clinton did not become president and that Donald Trump did.

Breaking apart the US isn't Trump's fantasy -- he hasn't got the imagination. Becoming an actual dictator -- all Trump wants is the big parade and constant adulation, and whoever can give him that, well...

But every time someone here at DU fantasizes about breaking America apart into several nations, or breaking California apart into several states, or feverishly claims they's just doing a thought-experiment about a military coup to get rid of Trump (I remember similar about Dubya), I really wonder if they have thought this through.

And if they have not thought it through, Putin definitely has. It would be the end of us as a republic, the end of us as an international power.

:mental:

SoonerPride (5,357 posts)

45. Instead of a military coup, what about disobeying an order?

I don’t advocate a coup, as in they place a bullet in his empty noggin and replace his cabinet with a junta of generals like some South American country.

But, just for the thought exercise, what if Agolf Twitler ordered a nuclear strike on Iran in October hoping to rally people to his side in a war fervor, or orders the military to “liberate several states with democratic governors?”

I would hope that the saner calmer minds of the Pentagon would ignore those orders. That would be akin to a coup because they are disobeying an order from their Commander In Chief.

But they might also view them as illegal orders.

What about a widespread military disobedience of his command? Is that a coup? Or not?

:thatsright:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DUmpDiver

Re: a demand by certain DUers for a military coup in the US ...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 03:41:34 PM »
EndlessWire (813 posts)

32. Well, I'm sorry to have this opinion but, this guy is a DICTATOR.

He's such a dictator that he's letting individual governors run their own states when it comes to dealing with the pandemic.

Putin, otoh, plans to break apart Western democratic alliances. Think about that. NATO, Paris Climate Accord, European Union

I'm sure Putin was just thrilled when Trump got our NATO allies to start paying more of their fair share for NATO.  I suppose Putin told Trump to make that happen, right?

Paris Climate Accord:  Trump bailed on it. Putin stayed with it.

The EU is threatening to collapse on its own under the strain of the pandemic. And the EU wasn't formed for the good of mankind.  It was formed to COMPETE economically with America.

-----------------------------------

A coup has already been tried against Trump and failed: Brennan, Comey, McCain et al with the Russian collusion hoax.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
Re: a demand by certain DUers for a military coup in the US ...
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 08:55:39 PM »
I thank God every night that none of these nitwit arm chair generals is in charge of the military.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0