Author Topic: Will the SEC expand?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Will the SEC expand?
« on: November 25, 2012, 07:25:41 PM »
Talk around here in NC is that the ACC won't last much longer.  Maryland is going to the Big 10, and I would think one or more of the major conferences would want the TV markets that some of the ACC teams possess.

The Big 10 wanted Maryland and Rutgers because it brought them the Washington DC/Baltimore and NYC TV markets.  The major markets left that would interest the SEC would be the larger cities in NC and Virginia.

I think the SEC would probably prefer to pick up UNC and UVA.

UNC would cover the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill TV market as well as the Charlotte and the Greensboro/W-S TV markets.  They're the school in NC that would have the largest following.  Problem is UNC views itself as another Ivy League type university and they don't want to be associated in a conference they consider to be academically below their standards.  That could be their one hangup.  In that case, the other school that would have an almost equal following would be NC State.  Same statewide appeal and TV markets, just not quite as big a support base.  NC State would jump in a second.

In Virginia, if the SEC were to pick up UVA, that would capture the Washington DC market on the Virginia side plus Richmond and most of the rest of the state.  But they have the same issues as does UNC in they are snobs academically.  The only other school in the state would be Va Tech which would be a nice pickup, but just not the coverage that UVA would have since it's much closer to DC and Richmond.  Like NC State, I also think Va Tech would jump just by being asked.

Florida won't want FSU or Miami to be included, UGA won't want GTech, and So. Carolina won't want Clemson, so I really think those are off the table.  Besides, those 4 don't really add any TV market (except Miami).  A team in NC and VA would open up two new states and much more TV market.  And TV market is why these other conferences are grabing schools.

Other thoughts?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Will the SEC expand?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 07:37:06 PM »
They probably will expand, although I'm surprised that North Carolina and North Carolina State never belonged to the Southeastern Conference to begin with, and that South Carolina only recently joined.

They always seemed a natural fit to something called the "Southeastern" Conference.

It's just going to grow and grow.  The Big 10 with fourteen members now?

The way it's going, why not just have one single great big conference, the United States Conference, to which all first-class college football programs belong?

Television has ruined college football, but there isn't a thing one can do about that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: Will the SEC expand?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
The way it's going, why not just have one single great big conference, the United States Conference, to which all first-class college football programs belong?

You're not too far off.  I think we'll see 4 major conferences:  currently the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12.  You're either going to be in one of those conferences or you'll be out of the loop.  We're about to that point now.  A few more teams in each conference and we'll be there.  ND may be the only independent who can stay with the big conferences.

But yes, it's all about money and TV market. No other reason for the PAC 10 (12) to pick up Utah and Colorado except to gain the SLC and Denver TV markets.  Same with the Big 10 and DC/Baltimore and NYC.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.