Author Topic: Being pulled over for expired tags now is just police being jerks  (Read 760 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Sympthsical (970 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215330196

Being pulled over for expired tags now is just police being jerks

What I haven't seen mentioned much in all of the coverage of the Daunte Wright killing is just how shitty it is to pull people over for expired tags. Due to Covid 19, there is a massive backlog at DMVs for getting tags replaced. People have been going around for months without proper tags due to cancelled, delayed, or unavailable appointments.

The police are most certainly aware of this.

Nice excuse for a "driving while black" stop, but even more malicious considering current DMV conditions in many states.

At around 2:00 p.m. local time on April 11, 2021, Brooklyn Center police pulled over Daunte Wright for a traffic violation[10] as the vehicle's registration tag had expired. Officers ran Wright's name through a police database, determined that he had an outstanding warrant, and tried to arrest him.

Star Member dflprincess (25,961 posts)

17. Minnesota didn't extend the time for tags

As those can be renewed by mail or online. Mine come due the end of April & I've ordered online the last two years. It's taken about 10 days to get them.

However, new registrations have been taking longer & you can get the temp tag extended.

Star Member thucythucy (5,743 posts)

21. Then again there's the "digital divide" which, like pretty much every other form of inequality in our society, is disproportionately adverse to African Americans.

Add to that the fact that the USPS has been and is being gutted as part of the GOP war on America. I used to get something in the mail every day, now I get large batches every second or third or sometimes even fourth day, which is a new development as of this fall.

I don't know if either of these was a factor here, but they are worth noting.

:thatsright:

Star Member Ocelot II (93,360 posts)

3. That used to happen to me almost like clockwork every year

because I'd always forget to get them renewed. But, since I am an old white lady, what would happen was that I'd get pulled over and the cop would say something like, "Ma'am, are you aware that your license tags are expired?" And I'd apologize and say I forgot but I'd take care of it right away, and that was the end of it. Never got a ticket, let alone tased or shot; just a friendly warning.

I'm guessing you don't have any outstanding warrants...

Xipe Totec (43,095 posts)

4. I see my white privilege in this and it makes me want to wretch

I've been pulled over for an illegal left turn.

The cop shakes his head, gives me a stern warning, and lets me go on my way.

I've been pulled over for speeding on a residential area, 15 miles over the speed limit. Same result.

I've been pulled over for speeding on a school zone, 15 miles over, etc.

I've been pulled over for driving 95 mph, on a 55 mph zone. 40 miles over the speed limit, In New Hampshire, which by law requires immediate arrest and jail.

Instead, the cop shaved 10 miles off from the report. A stiff fine, to be sure, and my insurance said 'hello!', but I was allowed to drive away with my passengers and continue my vacation trip.

Any of these encounters could have ended up with me dead, bleeding on the pavement, if I were black.

And it makes me sick to my stomach to think about it.

:whatever:

Star Member a kennedy (22,356 posts)

7. There was a warrant for his arrest......Daunte Wright didn't appear I[n] court.....

“Just learned that the warrant out for Wright's arrest was for failure to appear in court

For illegally possessing a firearm with out a permit and fleeing from police in the past. The initial reason was for an expired registration.”

This was posted on another DU thread.

:popcorn:

Star Member dflprincess (25,961 posts)

12. It was a misdemeanor charge

And it's now being reported that he missed his court date because the Zoom link was sent to the wrong address.

:thatsright:  Did he give a incorrect address? That's my guess.

You want to know how many times I get a fake address from some one I am arresting?

:whatever:

sop (4,564 posts)

9. I've had it with the cops' cult of compliance.

Failure to comply is a capital offense in copland. They believe anyone who doesn't immediately comply can be killed or brutalized with impunity. As defense apologists will argue, "if the suspect had just complied, he would still be alive." I don't give a **** whether it's a lawful order, or not. Not following police instructions in situations where the alleged crime is a misdemeanor cannot be legal grounds for execution.

:bird:

Star Member Hoyt (48,306 posts)

11. Agree. This could have been handled by mail. No need to stop him.

I do think the officer made a horrible “error,” should be fired, investigated for whether she was fit for duty, and likely tried. The leaders who allowed this type of traffic stop and maybe even the “error,” should be canned too.

Star Member Renew Deal (79,320 posts)

13. Is it expired tags the same thing as expired registration?

If so, it’s perfectly legitimate to pull people over for that. It’s not the same as pulling people over for broken license plate lights.

joetheman (283 posts)

19. No reason to pull folks over. I had to make an appointment to meet with our DMV and it was

made in advance of my expiration date and I couldn't get an appointment until three weeks after the expiration. I carry the appointment confirmation in the car in case I am stopped. The backlog is tremendous. I don't have tickets but since my spouse dies I need to change the registration...they sent me a letter.

Traildogbob (2,762 posts)

20. White and alive

Traded my truck in about a month ago. Through Covid hell and no notification from DMV, the dealer alerted me my tag had expired 7 months ago. Had to get a temp, then got a real tag. My personal tag “4STR” as a retired Forest educator, had to be re-ordered. Could not use the expired one, why is beyond me. But through all that time, I am white and alive.
Old enough to remember, long hair and a van was a target for red neck police. But we all lived, I think. I phone videos.
This shit needs to end now. Stop suing cities and letting cops get a pension. Take everything they own as well. The tax payers did not do the killing.

Star Member phylny (7,299 posts)

23. I was pulled over in Virginia, a little over an hour from where I live,

for expired tags a few years ago. We'd been dealing with my husband's radiation, and the notice came in the mail and went unnoticed. I had no idea. My two dogs were restrained in the back seat and I was terrified the cop was going to shoot one of them because they were barking their heads off. I kept telling him they were restrained. Anyway, there had to be six or seven cars that passed by me SPEEDING before he pulled me over. I mentioned that to him. He wasn't moved by my comment.

::)
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: Being pulled over for expired tags now is just police being jerks
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 09:58:04 AM »
thucythucy (5,743 posts)

21. Then again there's the "digital divide" which, like pretty much every other form of inequality in our society, is disproportionately adverse to African Americans.

Add to that the fact that the USPS has been and is being gutted as part of the GOP war on America. I used to get something in the mail every day, now I get large batches every second or third or sometimes even fourth day, which is a new development as of this fall.

How can black people be targeted by the post office if all of the envelopes are white? 🤔
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 10:18:19 AM »
How can black people be targeted by the post office if all of the envelopes are white? 🤔
The police can't tell what color somebody is if the windows are heavily tinted either
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 10:19:35 AM »
thucythucy (5,743 posts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBxZGWCdgs

The digital divide comment reminded me of this video that was used on the radio yesterday (although it appears to be from way back in 2016).  It's on voter ID laws, but several of the racist white liberals in the first minute and a half comment that minorities don't have access or don't know how to use the internet to get an ID.  All the blacks interviewed in the rest of the clip have ID, know how to get ID, know how to use the internet, and know where the DMV is.

More support for the notion that the real racists are the proggies who think everyone is beneath them, especially those with higher melanin content in their skin.   
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 10:24:43 AM »
Star Member thucythucy (5,743 posts)

A major factor here is the deceased showed a lack of respect for law enforcement and the rules of a civilized society.  For him to have outstanding warrants is bad enough but then to drive around with expired tags rather than fly under the radar is sheer stupidity. 

Blaming the so called "digital divide" or the USPS for not renewing his tags is absurd.  Responsible people act in a responsible manner.  This person did not. 

He did not deserve to die and the Officer who shot him needs to be held accountable for her error in judgement, but the root cause is the deceased created a set of circumstances and acted in a way that caused the officer to react to his behavior.

And lastly,

Don't run from the pole-eese and you won't get yo ass shot. 

Learn it
Love it
Live it

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 11:05:39 AM »
Sympthsical (970 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215330196

Being pulled over for expired tags now is just police being jerks 3

What I haven't seen mentioned much in all of the coverage of the Daunte Wright killing is just how shitty it is to pull people over for expired tags 2. Due to Covid 19, there is a massive backlog at DMVs for getting tags replaced. 1

1 Porcine excrement! Especially here in CA, where I can renew my registration and get tags at some local grocery stores, and have been able to for several years. Before that we could go to a AAA office and renew our registration.

2 Renewal notices are mailed out a month or two in advance and the renewal is easy. So Sympthsical is defending people not paying their taxes.

3 Don't like the police acting on violations of the law? The simple solution is to not violate the law.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 11:13:33 AM »
But anyone who doesn't wear a mask or doesn't carry their proof of vaccination should be arrested!!! (DU mode)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 02:28:01 PM »
If your tags are expired it is probably a good indication that your insurance is expired as well. Insurance rates are a lot higher in a lot of areas because of this.

I would like to hear the dummies response to one of them who gets hit by an uninsured driver and has to foot the bill.

Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 02:36:41 PM »
So now the DUmmies think it's OK to not pay taxes? (Which is what vehicle registration fees are.)

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 03:20:46 PM »
So now the DUmmies think it's OK to not pay taxes? (Which is what vehicle registration fees are.)

I recall a time when the demented old fart who currently wanders around the White House made the comment that paying your taxes is patriotic...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 04:27:49 PM »
I recall a time when the demented old fart who currently wanders around the White House made the comment that paying your taxes is patriotic...

I wonder how the DUmmies would feel about Biden drawing Social Security, his senate pension and his presidential salary?

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 02:25:27 PM »
No, it is your patriotic duty to pay as little taxes as possible
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)