Author Topic: problem  (Read 6737 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
problem
« on: April 18, 2010, 06:57:42 AM »
Okay, so I have this new up-to-date computer, and there's a problem with posting an original topic on the site.

It doesn't happen when posting a mere comment, but when trying to post an original topic using quotes.

The body for the area of text doesn't stay stable; it jerks up and down, ultimately coming to rest back at the top of the body; it really bounces around, making quoting and formatting and revising things in an original topic difficult.

It bounces, like a spring.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: problem
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:05:48 AM »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 07:12:14 AM »
Okay, I followed your lead, and installed Firefox.

Now, to try it out.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:27:03 AM »
Okay, Chris, sir, that worked.

I posted the first primitive campfire I ran into, to try it out, and it worked.

However, this bothers me, for two reasons.

Number one, why does InternetExplorer8 do that?

Number two, while I have no problems using a second browser, I'm reluctant to reject InternetExplorer because it's in the heart of the computer, and it's like pulling out one's real heart and putting in some plastic and batteries.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 07:32:14 AM »
I'm not sure why IE8 does that.  I do have both browsers on my computer and I use both of them because of issues with other sites as well.  You eventually get used to it.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:34:40 AM »
Okay, so I have this new up-to-date computer, and there's a problem with posting an original topic on the site.

It doesn't happen when posting a mere comment, but when trying to post an original topic using quotes.

The body for the area of text doesn't stay stable; it jerks up and down, ultimately coming to rest back at the top of the body; it really bounces around, making quoting and formatting and revising things in an original topic difficult.

It bounces, like a spring.

Same things happens to me.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 07:37:01 AM »
You could keep using IE... try clicking the Compatibility Mode button next to the address bar (looks like the torn piece of green paper).  Switch to IE7 compatibility and see if that fixes your problem.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 07:37:28 AM »
I don't even bother with IE8 anymore.  It's all Firefox or Google Chrome.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 07:42:01 AM »

Ok -- I just downloaded firefox and it is fixed.  What is google chrome?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 07:48:32 AM »
Same things happens to me.

Well, it doesn't seem to happen with Firefox.

All okay now.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »

Ok -- I just downloaded firefox and it is fixed.  What is google chrome?
Chrome is the browser that Google came made. I use it as my main browser and like it more than IE or Firefox.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 01:07:55 PM »

Someone brought this up like a week ago. I noticed it too.

Download Chrome or Firefox, it doesn't do that with them.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 01:17:33 PM »
You could keep using IE... try clicking the Compatibility Mode button next to the address bar (looks like the torn piece of green paper).  Switch to IE7 compatibility and see if that fixes your problem.

That should do it.  Compatibility mode.....
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 01:20:21 PM »
I have 4 Browsers but Opera ignites a warning for some reason.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 02:11:48 PM »
Comments I make around here are like whispering on a runway. I made a shout in the shout box about losing IE8 a few days ago, Frank. IE8 has issues. Microsoft KNOWS this. As typical, Microsoft is loathe & slow to make their stuff work properly. I don't like Chrome because I've run across compatibility issues with it. Google may have gotten them fixed by now, I dunno. Secondly, Google pissed in their own Wheaties when they were outed about using user data gathered from people using Chrome. I know they say they fixed that, but I don't trust Google.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »
Comments I make around here are like whispering on a runway. I made a shout in the shout box about losing IE8 a few days ago, Frank. IE8 has issues. Microsoft KNOWS this. As typical, Microsoft is loathe & slow to make their stuff work properly. I don't like Chrome because I've run across compatibility issues with it. Google may have gotten them fixed by now, I dunno. Secondly, Google pissed in their own Wheaties when they were outed about using user data gathered from people using Chrome. I know they say they fixed that, but I don't trust Google.

I've never had problems with Safari  :uhsure:
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 04:01:08 PM »
I've never had problems with Safari  :uhsure:

Well, you're F'n mac user, what would you expect ??  :tongue: :fuelfire:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 05:59:49 PM »
Well, you're F'n mac user, what would you expect ??  :tongue: :fuelfire:

What's a "mac"?? :lmao:

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 04:07:29 AM »
What's a "mac"?? :lmao:

doc

I believe it is a PC running linux with a thousand dollar apple logo stuck on the box.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 08:57:30 AM »

I have the same problem that Frank's having when I use my work laptop.  I don't have permission to add on Firefox, so I'm stuck with IE8.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »
I have little sympathy when a workplace gets a virus if they're using IE. You might suggest to your IT guru that FF is a little more exploit resistant than IE. I have IE 8 , W7 and I haven't encountered any problems. The best I can suggest is that  you get IE updated and Windows updated. I DO recall having that problem once, but it went away. I can't recall if I did anything or not to fix it.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 09:32:16 AM »
I believe it is a PC running linux with a thousand dollar apple logo stuck on the box.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 01:27:20 AM »
I noticed this same problem while using IE8.  Switching to Compatibility mode resolves the problem.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.