Author Topic: how about  (Read 3343 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
how about
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:07:02 AM »
If one's on the forum list page of this site, under "General Discussion," there's no explanatory note about what the forum's for, like there are underneath the names of most other forums here.

Many people think that things political or economic go into "General Discussion," when there are in fact separate forums for those topics.

It has been my observation the past 16 months that when material is being piled into the lesser forums, the lesser forums undergo a noticeable increase in interest, traffic, and posting. 

And we need to build up the "Politics" and "Economics" forums; if nobody else does it, I might start jamming primitive bonfires, as appropriate, in there, so as to bolster these two forums.....which might, or might not, go over well with others (after all, not everybody's enamoured of the primitives).

How about adding a descriptor under the title "General Discussion" on the forum list, something to the effect that if it's politics or economics, it belongs in those specific forums, and not "General Discussion"?

Said in a positive way, of course; my own literary qualities, such as they are, are still half asleep.

Usually this is the sort of "issue" that gets discussed between moderators only, but I think it would be good for our valuable and much-esteemed members to know it's an issue.

"General Discussion" = topics too general or miscellaneous to be described
"Politics" = topics about politics
"Economics" = topics about economics

What happens then is "General Discussion" gets less cluttered, and the two other forums get more good stuff put into them, increasing interest and traffic.

Just my opinion; thank you.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: how about
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:34:41 AM »
Okay, I got some coffee and milk inside the body, and so can think more clearly.

And I just noticed I won something on the Powerball--not the Powerball itself, but on it.  I had purchased a $3 ticket, with three sets of numbers, and the last number, the Powerball number, were all the same, the winning Powerball number.  So I'll have to go to town soon to check that out.

Anyway.

Under the title "General Discussion," how about the descriptor:

For topics and issues too general to be categorized, and for which no separate forum (such as "Politics" or "Economics") exists.

The part in parentheses to be exactly as written.

I hope that doesn't sound negative.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 04:50:54 PM »
I added a forum description for General Discussion.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 03:06:51 AM »
Okay, I got some coffee and milk inside the body, and so can think more clearly.

And I just noticed I won something on the Powerball--not the Powerball itself, but on it.  I had purchased a $3 ticket, with three sets of numbers, and the last number, the Powerball number, were all the same, the winning Powerball number.  So I'll have to go to town soon to check that out.

Anyway.

Under the title "General Discussion," how about the descriptor:

The part in parentheses to be exactly as written.

I hope that doesn't sound negative.

How much did you win?

Should powerball discussions be in economics or general discussion? However, the lottery can be quite the political battle.