Author Topic: Next Administration to Call on F-22s  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Next Administration to Call on F-22s
« on: February 06, 2008, 07:35:53 AM »
All from the Dummies

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=259x10997

unhappycamper   (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-06-08 07:05 AM
Original message
Next Administration to Call on F-22s
 Advertisements [?]Next Administration to Call on F-22s
Mclatchy -Tribune News Service | By Dave Montgomery | February 06, 2008

WASHINGTON - After months of open disagreement between the Air Force and leaders in the Pentagon over the size of the nation's F-22 Raptor fleet, the Bush administration has opted to leave the decision up to the next administration.

As expected, President Bush's $515.4 billion defense budget funds the last 20 F-22s under a multiyear purchasing plan but does not include money to shut down production of the Lockheed Martin fighter plane.

The Pentagon leadership has insisted for months that the production line should be closed after 2011, but Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England eased away from that position recently by telling members of Congress that the line would stay open to build a few F-22s to replace warplanes destroyed in combat.

The Pentagon had maintained that production should be capped at 183 while Air Force leaders contended that the service needs at least 381 to maintain U.S. air superiority.

In unveiling the defense budget on Monday, Pentagon comptroller Tina Jonas said the Defense Department hasn't changed its view that the fleet should be capped at 183 aircraft. But she added: "I do believe, though, that the next administration will have to make the call on what they want to do ultimately.''

Rest of article at: http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,161498,00.h...

uhc comment: Psssst. These puppies are $330,000,000 a pop.

DrDan  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-06-08 07:15 AM
Response to Original message
1. they are expensive, but . . . .
 we could purchase 21 a month at the current rate of the Iraq war.

Also, sure would like to see the Pentagon be driving these decisions, rather than the politically appointed civilian leaders.

Sherman A1  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-06-08 07:42 AM
2. The question in my opinion is
 maintain air superiority from whom? Who has an aircraft that can best what we currently fly? Should we continue to develop new technologies.... certainly. Should we buy this aircraft in quantity... I don't think so.

Ahem................quite a few countries ya dumbass

sam sarrha  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-06-08 08:30 AM
Response to Reply #2
3. the F22 is special.. i worked on it, the Joint Strike Fighter was a rip off, they chose the inferior
 plane,.. Should be investigated for RICO Violations, that piece of shit will never fly, and the rest of our planes are really old.

Sure ya did............
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Next Administration to Call on F-22s
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:29:30 AM »
I dunno about the doofus dan primitive.

Also, sure would like to see the Pentagon be driving these decisions, rather than the politically appointed civilian leaders.

There's something to be said of the practicality of this, but what about the primitive notion that the military should be under civilian control?

Another case of the primitives thinking things only halfway through, and then stopping thinking.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline whiteguyPI

• That sounds like a "you" problem
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:14:28 PM »
 maintain air superiority from whom? Who has an aircraft that can best what we currently fly? Should we continue to develop new technologies.... certainly. Should we buy this aircraft in quantity... I don't think so.
Or we could also sell it to our allies like we do with the F-16...complete idiots over there at the Dump.
Haji don't surf!
Jive turkey!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 01:40:47 PM »
And how do you think we gained that unchallengeable superiority, Jeenyuss?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."