Author Topic: My survival pantry thus far...  (Read 13526 times)

Offline Mr Mannn

My survival pantry thus far...
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »
I'm probably not supposed to publish this but here goes.
a 40 or 50 meal supply from Wise. Freeze dried meals Its really like 15 to 20 meals as they put them in packets that feed 4 (they really only feed two) My taste testing took a few of the packets and I'm not too happy with the taste. So these will be more easily discovered so looters or the govt can take them and leave my real stash alone.

50 freeze dried meat packages
from wise. The packets are not very big, but they come with instant rice so it could make a meal. It was 60, but taste testing took a few. again I am not too happy with this, but I can lose it if I have too.

I have found perfect hiding spots for the rest so a search of the apartment won't turn anything else up.

The basics
I have 12 #10 cans of uncooked rice.
A tip from a very wise CCer led me to Pleasant Hill grains. I have 44 pounds of uncooked rice in a tub.
I went for rice instead of wheat for two reasons.
1) soaked in cold water long enough...I can eat them.
2) Cooking rice doesn't have that fresh bread smell that will bring hungry people to my door.
*** I also have a rice cooker now too.

1 #10 can of rice and chicken.
1 #10 can of scrambled eggs and bacon
2 #10 cans of pilot bread (fancy name for hard tack) 70 crackers per can.
18 cans of Begala cheddar cheese. made by the Australians for 3rd world place without refrigeration.
11 military MREs (was 12, but the taste test thing happened) with chemical heaters.
I case (12 foil packages) of freeze dried refried beans. Only make as much as you want.
a three day supply of water in foil packets

I have assorted plastic storage devices and I just got 30 oxygen depleters.

Obviously I'm short in a number of areas. But I plan to go after regular canned goods for the next few paydays.
The rest of my cash has been going towards camping equipment. and that's a lot more expensive.
I am jealous of those of you who have been wiser and had much more time to plan ahead.

Camping wise, I have two Esbit back packer stoves. lots of solid fuel tabs. Backpack cooking gear. a pack of 10 survival blankets. a water filter, three back up filters, two straw survival filters. and assorted other camping stuff.

Thats it so far. Mountain House is the only freeze dried company I like. I want a few more things from them, but I'm going to focus on canned food for now.

Bug out. Still short a back pack. I'm set to get out by car...BUT I have no preset destination. That will kill me as surely as staying.
My plan now is to survive for a few month during a collapse, But I'm not even ready to think of a serious end of the world scenario...certainly not from an apartment.

My great concern if anything Big hits during an Iowa winter. By big, I mean power outage that looks permanent. I'm not equipped to stay, so I must head south...by car...along with 500,000 others.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: My survival pantry thus far...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:18:28 PM »
How do you run a rice cooker with no electricity? :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:35:35 PM »
How do you run a rice cooker with no electricity? :-)

That's where the plastic containers come in. Soak for a few hours, and eat.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 05:04:27 PM »
I hope those 44lbs of uncooked rice in that tub are divided up into smaller portions internally.

Be a real bitch to have some contamination and have to ditch 40lbs of rice...

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 05:37:58 PM »
Ever try Heater Meals?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
I hope those 44lbs of uncooked rice in that tub are divided up into smaller portions internally.

Be a real bitch to have some contamination and have to ditch 40lbs of rice...

I'm not gonna open it up to find out. I'm betting not.
But its a quick way to build the backbone of my pantry. I'll just have to be careful. I can do that.

Offline ranger75

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:03:38 PM »
I'm probably not supposed to publish this but here goes.
a 40 or 50 meal supply from Wise. Freeze dried meals Its really like 15 to 20 meals as they put them in packets that feed 4 (they really only feed two) My taste testing took a few of the packets and I'm not too happy with the taste. So these will be more easily discovered so looters or the govt can take them and leave my real stash alone.

50 freeze dried meat packages
from wise. The packets are not very big, but they come with instant rice so it could make a meal. It was 60, but taste testing took a few. again I am not too happy with this, but I can lose it if I have too.

I have found perfect hiding spots for the rest so a search of the apartment won't turn anything else up.

The basics
I have 12 #10 cans of uncooked rice.
A tip from a very wise CCer led me to Pleasant Hill grains. I have 44 pounds of uncooked rice in a tub.
I went for rice instead of wheat for two reasons.
1) soaked in cold water long enough...I can eat them.
2) Cooking rice doesn't have that fresh bread smell that will bring hungry people to my door.
*** I also have a rice cooker now too.

1 #10 can of rice and chicken.
1 #10 can of scrambled eggs and bacon
2 #10 cans of pilot bread (fancy name for hard tack) 70 crackers per can.
18 cans of Begala cheddar cheese. made by the Australians for 3rd world place without refrigeration.
11 military MREs (was 12, but the taste test thing happened) with chemical heaters.
I case (12 foil packages) of freeze dried refried beans. Only make as much as you want.
a three day supply of water in foil packets

I have assorted plastic storage devices and I just got 30 oxygen depleters.

Obviously I'm short in a number of areas. But I plan to go after regular canned goods for the next few paydays.
The rest of my cash has been going towards camping equipment. and that's a lot more expensive.
I am jealous of those of you who have been wiser and had much more time to plan ahead.

Camping wise, I have two Esbit back packer stoves. lots of solid fuel tabs. Backpack cooking gear. a pack of 10 survival blankets. a water filter, three back up filters, two straw survival filters. and assorted other camping stuff.

Thats it so far. Mountain House is the only freeze dried company I like. I want a few more things from them, but I'm going to focus on canned food for now.

Bug out. Still short a back pack. I'm set to get out by car...BUT I have no preset destination. That will kill me as surely as staying.
My plan now is to survive for a few month during a collapse, But I'm not even ready to think of a serious end of the world scenario...certainly not from an apartment.

My great concern if anything Big hits during an Iowa winter. By big, I mean power outage that looks permanent. I'm not equipped to stay, so I must head south...by car...along with 500,000 others.

What are you going to do when you run out of food?

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 09:37:16 PM »
What are you going to do when you run out of food?
I'm only planning to last a month or two. Looking at Greece, Egypt, other places where events prompted a temp shut down of goods and services. America is big enough where I can probably travel to a better spot.

I'm not preparing for the end of the world. Otherwise I would be out in the country with a store of seeds or something.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 08:15:53 AM »
Oh, survival pantry.

I thought you said panty.

Carry on.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline ranger75

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »
I'm only planning to last a month or two. Looking at Greece, Egypt, other places where events prompted a temp shut down of goods and services. America is big enough where I can probably travel to a better spot.

I'm not preparing for the end of the world. Otherwise I would be out in the country with a store of seeds or something.

I remember visiting grandma & grandpa's farm when I was a little kid back in the late 50's. They had 190 acres for farming & grazing and a 1.5 acre garden where grandma grew everything under the sun: lettuce, cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, radishes, rhubarb, raspberries, blueberries, crabapples, apricots, etc., etc.

They had cows for milk and butter, a wonderful horse (Patty), goats for cheese, chickens, and a beautiful collie named (what else?), Lassie. Grandma canned up enough food to keep as many as 8 people fed all winter. In fact, they could have lived off the fat of the land and the sweat off their brows almost indefinitely without ever going to town.

That's how 1/3 of the people in this country lived back then. They were all "survivalists" but they just didn't know it.

Offline Dori

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 07:48:28 PM »

I remember visiting grandma & grandpa's farm when I was a little kid back in the late 50's. They had 190 acres for farming & grazing and a 1.5 acre garden where grandma grew everything under the sun: lettuce, cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, radishes, rhubarb, raspberries, blueberries, crabapples, apricots, etc., etc.

They had cows for milk and butter, a wonderful horse (Patty), goats for cheese, chickens, and a beautiful collie named (what else?), Lassie. Grandma canned up enough food to keep as many as 8 people fed all winter. In fact, they could have lived off the fat of the land and the sweat off their brows almost indefinitely without ever going to town.

Sounds just like my grandparents' farm.  I can't think of anything they didn't grow themselves.  My grandfather would go hunting and fishing too.  They even had their own smoke house for preserving meats.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline hillneck

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 07:12:01 AM »
Even when I was a kid, we only went to the store about once a month, and that was for stuff like coffee and sugar.  Everything else came from the farm. 
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.