Author Topic: Greetings from a Cultural Hell  (Read 9245 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Greetings from a Cultural Hell
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 02:25:32 PM »
My dad was in the rifle line back in the early 60's, and my brother played euphonium, so I'm with ya on the whole "run the length of the football field whilst blowing your lungs out. As a drummer, though, we had it relatively easy!

The girlfriend and I went to the Westwood Cinema a few weeks ago to watch the semi-finals, though, and were just blown away by how athletic the kids doing drum corps these days have to be. No WAY could us burnouts back in the early 80's have pulled off these shows back then!

Yeah, there's a reason there's an age cap on that stuff. What is it - 18? At 18, you've got bigger balls than you realize, so it's not such of a wheezer to get out on that field and have a "good time".
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »
Holy crap -- that's EXACTLY the one I was thinking of!!  I'm currently running through this past season's episodes on Comcast On Demand.  Season 5 is going to have a LOT of different issues/problems for him to work through so I imagine you've been busy!!  Really looking forward to the new season!!

I'm really nervous about how this season's going to be received...D's main lifeline to some semblance of sanity is gone, and we've left him with a child he may not be able to love. How does he resolve and/or channel his rage, his need for vengeance? Does he lose his grasp on some the Code of H (putting him at great risk of being caught)? A lot of people were really angry with how we ended the season last year, and while most were upset because of what it meant for D and the baby, I've always felt that most were really pissed off because D was denied the chance to REALLY exact his revenge upon T, and at that point, could do nothing except try swallow his rage.

At the end of the day, though, I can tell you that this season is going to be very contentious for those of us who work on the show. Last season, we pretty much had everything written (except the finale, of course) months before shooting was wrapped. This year, not the case. As you may know, M.C.H. is now an executive producer, and out of respect for the work he's done to make D who he is, he's got a lot to say about where we go with everything.

I, for one, certainly hope you like it. :)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 10:53:58 PM »
What television show are you talking about?  Is it on HBO?  If so, we're too poor for those channels.  We can only afford extended cable with HD.  lol
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 05:36:44 AM »
What television show are you talking about?  Is it on HBO?  If so, we're too poor for those channels.  We can only afford extended cable with HD.  lol
He's talking about Dexter. It's on Showtime.
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 07:26:37 AM »

Hey I heard about that show!  People like it.  I don't have those channels either EC, I guess we are in a cultural wasteland....:)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 07:41:36 AM »
Hey I heard about that show!  People like it.  I don't have those channels either EC, I guess we are in a cultural wasteland....:)

check hulu.com and see if you can watch it, free, on your computer.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 07:49:53 AM »

A moonbat co-worker of mine--who is retiring tomorrow--absolutely loves that show.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 07:59:58 AM »
A moonbat co-worker of mine--who is retiring tomorrow--absolutely loves that show.

Know what?  A moonbat wife of one of my best buddies does too.  And I mean full on press Moonbat.  Incense burning, yoga doing, hippie acting, SAAB driving Moonbat.  I feel as I have been given a gift.  Thank you HNC.   :hyper:

ETA:  I ain't gonna say anything to her about this, but everytime she posts on FB, how much she LOVES that show, I will have such a smile.  :-) She posts that quite often. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2010, 08:29:25 AM »

Let's make it a group called "Cultural Wasteland". I'll bring the wine in a box.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 08:46:50 AM »
Wow, welcome!  And I appreciate your fine work. :bow:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 09:06:33 AM »
Let's make it a group called "Cultural Wasteland". I'll bring the wine in a box.

Woot!  I'll drink wine in a box.  I ain't shame.   :-) 

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 09:21:32 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, kids. I'm really grateful because, as you know, most creative people are little more than insecure attention whores, so I'd be lying if I said I only write because I feel some need to communicate my soul or some such shit.

I do it 'cause like I hearing how great I am.  :thatsright:

One other thing...

I really don't understand why so many libtards love the show and consider it in line with their bullshit ideology; it's about a guy who recognizes his weaknesses, but still strives to excel at his job, tries to protect his family, and literally turns the vilest among us into chum. If anything, the show's blatantly conservative.  :lmao:

Offline Karin

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 10:23:03 AM »
I'll have to join the cultural wasteland, too, because we don't get Showtime, either.  I'm not above drinking wine out of a box, though.   :-)
Welcome HNC, great to have you here! 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »
Know what?  A moonbat wife of one of my best buddies does too.  And I mean full on press Moonbat.  Incense burning, yoga doing, hippie acting, SAAB driving Moonbat.  I feel as I have been given a gift.  Thank you HNC.   :hyper:

ETA:  I ain't gonna say anything to her about this, but everytime she posts on FB, how much she LOVES that show, I will have such a smile.  :-) She posts that quite often. 

My half-sister is a computer engineer for IBM....and very very much a Democrat.

She gave me her copy of the book, Dexter, after she read it and loved it! It's one her favorite shows.

She has issues with me being a Republican. If she only knew one of the show's writers was a conservative.   :evillaugh: :lmao: :evillaugh:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 01:44:53 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, kids. I'm really grateful because, as you know, most creative people are little more than insecure attention whores, so I'd be lying if I said I only write because I feel some need to communicate my soul or some such shit.

I do it 'cause like I hearing how great I am.  :thatsright:

One other thing...

I really don't understand why so many libtards love the show and consider it in line with their bullshit ideology; it's about a guy who recognizes his weaknesses, but still strives to excel at his job, tries to protect his family, and literally turns the vilest among us into chum. If anything, the show's blatantly conservative.  :lmao:

I remember a few knocks at Bush through the seasons.  :p

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 01:51:23 PM »
I remember a few knocks at Bush through the seasons.  :p

I know. I love Melissa to death, but the woman is cradle-to-grave BDS victim.  :banghead:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 05:09:22 PM »
I know. I love Melissa to death, but the woman is cradle-to-grave BDS victim.  :banghead:

Unlike DUers, I can watch a TV show and ignore the crack here and there about "issues" that I may or may not agree with. It's when the show gets too "preachy" about the liberal view that I can't stand to watch. The main character of any show should keep the viewers guessing on their political views but have the supporting actors give any of the political zings. To get thew most views possible a show should avoid politics or have two characters that are the opposite as far as politics go. Makes them equally strong, it seems like anyone who represents the conservative view are always shown to be the DU stereotype of what a conservative is.

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 05:23:27 PM »
Unlike DUers, I can watch a TV show and ignore the crack here and there about "issues" that I may or may not agree with. It's when the show gets too "preachy" about the liberal view that I can't stand to watch.

I agree completely, and I think aside from very few instances, we've done a good job keeping politics out of the show. When Dexter's got some piece of crap Saran-wrapped on a table, I think it's safe to say nobody with a functioning brain is particularly interested in "BushCo."

Operative phrase being "functioning brain," mind you.  :cheersmate:

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 05:32:05 PM »
Dexter is the shizz-nit. Gf and I've been watching it from season 1 again since season 4 is coming out soon (if it hasn't already).

I try to ignore any politics in a TV show and I'm pretty good at it.

And welcome HNC.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 05:34:25 PM »
If the one you're thinking of was based upon a series of books regarding a rather "quirky" brand-new single dad who works with his sister, then you're correct, and thank you so much for the kind words.  :bow:

We're also sorry for springing that finale on you, and for making you wait until September 27th before we tell you what happens next.  :evillaugh:

Damn, I was hoping it was Californication.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 05:34:33 PM »
Dexter is the shizz-nit. Gf and I've been watching it from season 1 again since season 4 is coming out soon (if it hasn't already).

I try to ignore any politics in a TV show and I'm pretty good at it.

And welcome HNC.

Thanks, Mike. Season 4 is On Demand right now (at least on Comcast/Xfinity), and Season 5 starts Sept. 27.

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 05:36:07 PM »
Damn, I was hoping it was Californication.

:heart: Californication!!!!!! I wasn't all that into it at the beginning, but once I found it, I swear to you, I watched nothing else for almost 3 days when I found it On Demand.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2010, 07:00:49 PM »
:heart: Californication!!!!!! I wasn't all that into it at the beginning, but once I found it, I swear to you, I watched nothing else for almost 3 days when I found it On Demand.

Ok do I have yet another show to start watching on demand?  What is basic storyline?

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 06:21:05 AM »
Ok do I have yet another show to start watching on demand?  What is basic storyline?

Basically, David Duchovny plays Hank Moody, a divorced, boozing, pot-smoking womanizer and writer living in LA (the guy I would've been, were it not for my woman). He's basically a good man, but profoundly flawed. You see him trying to do the right thing, but more often than not finding himself trying to put out fires his past behaviors have ignited. Evan Handler plays his best friend, and virtually steals every scene he's in. In any event, the show is about Hank trying to find success not just professionally, but in life as well. He gets along (somewhat) with his ex-wife, and is re-establishing his relationship with his daughter.

In short, the show is raunchy, totally inappropriate, and alternately very funny and very sad. It's also very authentic and exceedingly well-written. You can catch the pilot episode On Demand, I believe, so if you give it a shot and like the pilot, I think you'll be hooked.  :popcorn:

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2010, 08:18:21 AM »
Basically, David Duchovny plays Hank Moody, a divorced, boozing, pot-smoking womanizer and writer living in LA (the guy I would've been, were it not for my woman). He's basically a good man, but profoundly flawed. You see him trying to do the right thing, but more often than not finding himself trying to put out fires his past behaviors have ignited. Evan Handler plays his best friend, and virtually steals every scene he's in. In any event, the show is about Hank trying to find success not just professionally, but in life as well. He gets along (somewhat) with his ex-wife, and is re-establishing his relationship with his daughter.

In short, the show is raunchy, totally inappropriate, and alternately very funny and very sad. It's also very authentic and exceedingly well-written. You can catch the pilot episode On Demand, I believe, so if you give it a shot and like the pilot, I think you'll be hooked.  :popcorn:

Yeah, I accidentally stumbled on Californication during the 2nd season, and loved it.  The dialogue is excellent.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender