Author Topic: any motorcycle enthusiasts?  (Read 14126 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: any motorcycle enthusiasts?
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 06:52:48 AM »
Nice scooter Hacksaw.  I wish I had solid rims on my bike but I don't have the scratch for it right now.  I like the look of the laced rims better than the solid rims but if you get out somewhere and have a flat it is extremely hard to get it fixed and you can't use fix a flat on the spoked rims.

KC

Bring it to Texas!  Let's go riding!!
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 09:19:37 AM »
Nice scooter Hacksaw.  I wish I had solid rims on my bike but I don't have the scratch for it right now.  I like the look of the laced rims better than the solid rims but if you get out somewhere and have a flat it is extremely hard to get it fixed and you can't use fix a flat on the spoked rims.

KC

Bring it to Texas!  Let's go riding!!

Let me start by saying nice Heritage there Tex.

what you see isn't solid rims, they are just brake disc covers. They were on it when I got it. As far as wheels, I just have the factory mags.
Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 10:21:27 AM »
VTX 1300

"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »

Ya know, I almost went American, but Harleys little bro, Buell, can't get their shit together.

Good info above - I didn't know that. There are a few good foreign sport tourers out there (a little out of my price range). The Honda ST1300 is an awesome bike. Ducati makes a good one, but the maintenance will break the wallet (before 2006 - I believe the new ones come w/ a service plan). I love Harley's, but they can rattle parts off and the older ones leak oil. The resale value holds, though (and in some cases, it increases!!!). I love the fact that they have the high mileage club - it's awesome. The negatives don't matter much to me, though... My buddy has a dresser, and it rides niceeeeee. It's like sitting on a leather sofa  :-). As soon as I can afford a Night Train, I'll be all over it. I love their whole soft tail line. Have you seen the new Rocker? That thing is awesome :rocker:

While you're enjoying your Harley, I'm paying asinine insurance for mine  :banghead:

I'm really surprised that some of these jap and European bikes don't hold their value. I mean really.... these things can go 100+ thou plus miles before any problems occur.

Yeah, y'all with the sport bikes pay an OUTRAGEOUS amount on your insurance .... I have never been able to figger out why though .....

[youtube=425,350]U2o_Emao-eA[/youtube]

:lmao:

KC
:rotf: :lmao:
I love it when some kid on a crotchrocket comes up and challenges me to a race. It's like a Corvette challenging a limosine! 2 very different machines built for 2 very different purposes.

I tell them, "Sure... I'll race ya.... in 20 years on the same bikes!"

I should challenge them to an 'ironbutt' ride. The one who can walk afterwards is the winner!

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 11:07:40 AM »

what you see isn't solid rims, they are just brake disc covers. They were on it when I got it. As far as wheels, I just have the factory mags.

Thanks.  Yeah, I knew they weren't 'solid' like the Fat Boys.  I meant solid as in 'No Spoke Holes'.  I looked at an FLH about 3 years ago when I was going to buy the Heritage but the guy was wanting too much.  I think he still has the bike.  It was clean but being a police bike it had a lot of miles on it. 

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2008, 11:10:23 AM »
VTX 1300

I like the VTX's.  Those things ride reeeealy nice.  One of my ridin' buds has an 1800 VTX and probably puts more miles on a bike than anyone I know.  A quick ride around the block for him includes a trip to St. Louis! 

KC

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 11:15:32 AM »

:rotf: :lmao:
I love it when some kid on a crotchrocket comes up and challenges me to a race. It's like a Corvette challenging a limosine! 2 very different machines built for 2 very different purposes.

I tell them, "Sure... I'll race ya.... in 20 years on the same bikes!"

I should challenge them to an 'ironbutt' ride. The one who can walk afterwards is the winner!

I like looking at the sport bikes and I like watching someone who is good ride them but I really don't see how you can ride one for very far at a time.  Even the sport touring bikes look uncomfortable to me.

I just hate to see an 18 year old on a bike that will do 180 mph off the production floor ....

KC

*Stolen

Offline ih8hippies

• Just Off Probation
  • hippie slayer
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2008, 11:17:27 AM »
All these cruisers  :p

KJ - Nice bike y'all!

Someone said something about racing. It's funny because I get these punks with the big fart cans on their Honda, or whatever, trying to race me all the time. I guess they don't understand the whole weight to HP ratio deal  :lmao:

I always decline... it's not worth a ticket for something you know you can win.

As for the Iron Butt rides, that's some crazy shite. Those guys go for days.... I've done long day trips and am sore. Thats where the cruisers shine - comfort (and cheaper insurance).

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2008, 11:22:20 AM »

Thanks.  Yeah, I knew they weren't 'solid' like the Fat Boys.  I meant solid as in 'No Spoke Holes'.  I looked at an FLH about 3 years ago when I was going to buy the Heritage but the guy was wanting too much.  I think he still has the bike.  It was clean but being a police bike it had a lot of miles on it. 

KC

I got lucky as hell when I bought mine. I went into the local H-D dealer and saw my bike for $8995. It had 2 owners before me (First was the Indianapolis PD) and it only had 32k on the odometer! I thought it was awfully low miles for a cop bike. Anyway, I put some cash on it to hold it and went to the bank. When I told the loan officer what I wanted, she told me the bike high booked at $14,000! I knew I was getting a deal, but WOW! I put half down cash and borrowed the rest. I had her paid off in a year!

Oh, have you seen the new Crossbones from Harley? It's a old school looking softtail.

Damn... If I had the money, I'd own one!

Offline ih8hippies

• Just Off Probation
  • hippie slayer
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 11:23:29 AM »

I like looking at the sport bikes and I like watching someone who is good ride them but I really don't see how you can ride one for very far at a time.  Even the sport touring bikes look uncomfortable to me.

I just hate to see an 18 year old on a bike that will do 180 mph off the production floor ....

KC

They should have a graduated license program, like they have in Europe. I bought the bike with intentions on taking it VIR, and some other race tracks. The best  part about them is how they turn. They aren't comfortable at all for the long haul. You can buy better seats, but the positioning is what counts.

The sport touring bikes are surprisingly pretty comfy. The BMW's (and most who ride them are a-holes) are pretty souped up as far as options. Like a goldwing - for example. I think they come with Navigation now

As for the 18 yr old comment - I couldn't agree more. Some of thee bikes can get you in to trouble pretty quickly. Hell, mine goes almost 100 in first  :o

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 11:25:45 AM »

KJ - Nice bike y'all!

Someone said something about racing. It's funny because I get these punks with the big fart cans on their Honda, or whatever, trying to race me all the time. I guess they don't understand the whole weight to HP ratio deal  :lmao:

As for the Iron Butt rides, that's some crazy shite. Those guys go for days.... I've done long day trips and am sore. Thats where the cruisers shine - comfort (and cheaper insurance).

Actually hip, the Iron Butt run is 1000 miles in 24 hours.

Check this out: http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »
VTX 1300

I like the VTX's.  Those things ride reeeealy nice.  One of my ridin' buds has an 1800 VTX and probably puts more miles on a bike than anyone I know.  A quick ride around the block for him includes a trip to St. Louis! 

KC

I like the VTX series. The bike is a lot of fun to ride. It's got a lot of power but handles like a smaller bike. I was going to get an 1800 but the deals on the 1300s were to good to refuse.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline ih8hippies

• Just Off Probation
  • hippie slayer
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 12:01:17 PM »

KJ - Nice bike y'all!

Actually hip, the Iron Butt run is 1000 miles in 24 hours.

Check this out: http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

Ahh... well I was thinking about the 50cc one. Even a thousand in 24 is nuts  :o

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 12:38:28 PM »
I know. 1000 miles in 24 hrs means you have to average about 42 mph (they also have 1500 in 24 which means an average speed of 62.5 mph)

You'd have to eat on the move and filling your gas tank would have to resemble a pitstop at the Indy 500. Going to the bathroom would almost be out of the question. It could be done, but it sure wouldn't make for a comfortable ride.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 01:20:30 PM »
I know. 1000 miles in 24 hrs means you have to average about 42 mph (they also have 1500 in 24 which means an average speed of 62.5 mph)

You'd have to eat on the move and filling your gas tank would have to resemble a pitstop at the Indy 500. Going to the bathroom would almost be out of the question. It could be done, but it sure wouldn't make for a comfortable ride.

There was a music teacher from Pennsylvania about 4 or 5 years ago who did like 32,000 (no that is NOT a typo) in one month.  He was in the Hog Tales mag if I remember right. 

KC

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 01:22:16 PM »

I got lucky as hell when I bought mine. I went into the local H-D dealer and saw my bike for $8995. It had 2 owners before me (First was the Indianapolis PD) and it only had 32k on the odometer! I thought it was awfully low miles for a cop bike. Anyway, I put some cash on it to hold it and went to the bank. When I told the loan officer what I wanted, she told me the bike high booked at $14,000! I knew I was getting a deal, but WOW! I put half down cash and borrowed the rest. I had her paid off in a year!

Oh, have you seen the new Crossbones from Harley? It's a old school looking softtail.

Damn... If I had the money, I'd own one!

No, I hadn't seen that!  Thanks for putting that up.  You KNOW that springer front end is going to be one heavy son of a gun with that big ass tire on it!  Wow.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2008, 01:24:13 PM »

They should have a graduated license program, like they have in Europe. I bought the bike with intentions on taking it VIR, and some other race tracks. The best  part about them is how they turn. They aren't comfortable at all for the long haul. You can buy better seats, but the positioning is what counts.

The sport touring bikes are surprisingly pretty comfy. The BMW's (and most who ride them are a-holes) are pretty souped up as far as options. Like a goldwing - for example. I think they come with Navigation now

As for the 18 yr old comment - I couldn't agree more. Some of thee bikes can get you in to trouble pretty quickly. Hell, mine goes almost 100 in first  :o

No shit!  What is up with that?!  I have ridden with a few of these guys and man ... talk about being anal....  jeeze.  Guess it is a mentality and not just the BMW riders around here.

KC

*Stolen