Author Topic: primitives pose as automobile mechanics  (Read 2510 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives pose as automobile mechanics
« on: March 18, 2008, 01:50:42 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3027838

Actually, I'm not poking fun at the Kali primitive, a first-tier primitive, an authentic cowboy (actually, a primitive woman) from southern Texas, unlike the bird-smacking stoned red-faced primitive.

Kali  (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 02:26 PM
Original message

question for DU auto mechanics

Is there a solution to a stripped oil plug/hole other than JB weld, or replacing the whole pan?

Are there threaded inserts for this sort of situation?

I dunno.

I think Kali should register over here, and get real automotive advice from people who really know.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-18-08 02:27 PM
Response to Original message

1. There is, but it's enough of a pain in the ass and likely enough to fail that you might as well bite the bullet and replace the pan. You'll have to remove it to repair it, anyway.

Kali  (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 02:31 PM
Response to Reply #1

3. "You'll have to remove it to repair it, anyway."

That answers the real question!   

Junkyard is so darn far away. Guess I'll check the new prices. or get the JB.

tachyon (318 posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 02:33 PM
Response to Reply #3

5. The JB will work just fine. I have used it to fix holes in gas tanks without even draining the gas...just mix it and hold it against the leak for a minute or 2.

(If you have to you can use it to fill in the hole and re-thread it)

Kali  (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 02:35 PM
Response to Reply #5

7. oh for gas tanks I go delux and buy the actual gas tank epoxy!

tachyon (318 posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 02:38 PM
Response to Reply #7

8. Are you sure it's not the same stuff in a fancier box?

N4457S (80 posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 02:29 PM

2. I Don't Know...

...what you're driving, but I would suggest trying to rethread it.

If you can't do that, then yeah...you're gonna have to buy an oil pan but for God's sake don't buy a new one.

Go to a boneyard instead.

Let me know.

Kali  (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 02:33 PM
Response to Reply #2

6. It's a junky old F250 - '85, I think

I'm out on a ranch - 20 miles from parts store, 60 from a junkyard. It was already glued in once.

sergeiAK (243 posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 02:39 PM
Response to Reply #6

9. Check ebay for a used oilpan

madokie  (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 02:32 PM

4. Yes there is, go to the parts house and tell them what you done and you need an oversized plug

it should be a tad bigger than the old one and when you screw it in the first time it will deepen the threads that are already there and the new plug should have a magnet so as to hold the small pieces of metal that will be created. After you screw it in and make the new threads the first time take it back out and then clean the little pieces of metal off the magnet. And then replace it and fill with oil and you're good to go. Been there done that. I worked in a parts store for a couple years years ago and while I was there we sold several of the oversized plugs so you are not the first nor only one to do it so don't beat yourself up about it, ok.

add: after reading the other answers I want to reiterate that you do not have to remove nor replace the pan and it is not a big deal so as if you do your own oil changes then you can do this job yourself.

Peace

Kali  (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-18-08 02:40 PM
Response to Reply #4

10. I didn't do it!

We are just trying to get it running for one of the kids - it was an abandoned vehicle (I'm near the border)

Did the primitives give good advice, or were they talking out of their rectal apertures again?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
Re: primitives pose as automobile mechanics
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 01:57:03 PM »
Uh, I just noticed something I hadn't noticed when posting this.

JB weld

And then

The JB will work just fine. I have used it to fix holes in gas tanks without even draining the gas

Wouldn't that be a rather primitive thing to do, welding with gasoline in the vicinity?

Yeah, I wish primitives would do that, but I suspect even primitives aren't that stupid.

Pretty stupid, but not that stupid.

What is a "JB weld," exactly?  It needs a blow-torch-like thing, right?

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 01:58:40 PM »
JB Weld is like an epoxy. There are two parts that activate once they come into contact with one another. Not like arc welding, Frank.

http://jbweld.net/index.php

I gotta tell ya, I wouldn't use it to fix a f'n oil pan plug hole.   :stupid:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 02:00:31 PM by Rebel »
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 01:59:41 PM »
JB Weld is like an epoxy. There are two parts that activate once they come into contact with one another. Not like arc welding, Frank.

Oh.

It's a good thing franksolich doesn't pose as a mechanic.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 02:01:25 PM »
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »
Most common JB:

http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

Okay, I've seen those in convenience stores, but never paid attention.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 02:06:30 PM »
Actually, pretty good advice.  Replacing the entire oil pan is the best solution and is pretty easy to do (just lots of bolts)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 02:07:21 PM »

It works great on plumbers' butt crack.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 02:10:01 PM »
Actually, pretty good advice.  Replacing the entire oil pan is the best solution and is pretty easy to do (just lots of bolts)

Well, but Kali faces sort of the same problem I do with things, living where she does.

Please notice the long distances one has to go.

If I were in her shoes--which I'm glad I'm not, because that would make me a primitive--I'd try to fix it too, if possible, rather than spending a couple of hours on the highway getting a replacement.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 02:33:21 PM »

Well, but Kali faces sort of the same problem I do with things, living where she does.

Please notice the long distances one has to go.

If I were in her shoes--which I'm glad I'm not, because that would make me a primitive--I'd try to fix it too, if possible, rather than spending a couple of hours on the highway getting a replacement.

You (she) can probably have it mailed to you. If not, the EZ Weld is a good enough solution to get to the parts store.  But that is a one-shot deal (IMHO) and is only temporary.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 04:28:20 PM »
I would never use or advise any kind of an epoxy to fix stripped threads in an oil pan.

An oversized,self tapping plug may be available at a local parts store but if the damage is too extensive or there isn`t a plug then replacing the pan is the only thing to do imo.

Offline tuolumnejim

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 08:39:28 PM »
The "madokie" DUmmie was the only correct one for the cheap and easy fix, a new pan is the real way to go. And if the DUmmie doesn't want to drive, I know they have an internet connection, HEY DUmmie ever hear of ebay?  :hammer: :-)
A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gwitness

• Leave that thing alone.
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 10:29:09 PM »
I have a kit with different sized reamers and taps........repaired quite a few oil pan drains with it.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 10:31:16 PM »
I have a kit with different sized reamers and taps..
benburch, is that you????????

;)

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 08:10:52 AM »

Neither would I Kev! I don't think it would set anyway because of the oil. Good luck to the dummie...some oil pans can be a mother****er to get off :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!