Author Topic: The verdict is in  (Read 843 times)

Offline Mary Ann

The verdict is in
« on: April 20, 2021, 02:37:31 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215356014
Ms. Toad (26,302 posts)

Chauvin verdict is in

It will be read at 5 PM (ET) tonight.
We'll know soon enough what it is. Brought it over for this:
Botany (59,213 posts)

11. Firing Squad @ Dawn

Just an idea. I want to see him dragged out and tied to a post .... just to see the fear on his face. And then put into prison for life.
Yeah. That Constitutional thing about "cruel and unusual punishment" is so passe.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: The verdict is in
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 03:29:36 PM »
How much will be looted and burned tonight is the overriding question.  When sports teams win a championship, many of their home cities are en fuego.  Saw it with the Chicago Bulls and the Dallas Cowboys (both obviously long ago).
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 04:25:03 PM »
The verdict was reached too fast. 

So we'll see what happens from here.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 04:45:27 PM »
Guilty on all counts. It was hard to watch that video, and NOT think Chauvin had done something wrong. Don't know that it amounted to murder, though.

There is much I don't understand, like, why was George Floyd's brother allowed to testify? He wasn't there, wasn't a witness to any of it. And, if he could be called to testify, why couldn't the woman whose pregnant belly GF held a gun to? I wonder how she felt about all of this.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 04:49:52 PM »
Guilty on all counts. It was hard to watch that video, and NOT think Chauvin had done something wrong. Don't know that it amounted to murder, though.

There is much I don't understand, like, why was George Floyd's brother allowed to testify? He wasn't there, wasn't a witness to any of it. And, if he could be called to testify, why couldn't the woman whose pregnant belly GF held a gun to? I wonder how she felt about all of this.
The judge was very favorable to the prosecution; didn't allow the trial to be moved, allowed testimony from witnesses whose testimony didn't speak to Chauvin's guilt or innocence, didn't sequester the jury until this week, didn't grant a mistrial even when the prosecution introduced evidence that he had forbidden, and so on.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 04:52:36 PM »
The verdict was reached too fast. 

So we'll see what happens from here.

The left wing victory laps and media above the desk high fives are already underway I assume.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 05:09:22 PM »
I’m reserving judgment until I see how people behave tonight. If they still burn the town down then this meant nothing for anyone.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 05:39:30 PM »
when will the appeal because of mad maxine be filed?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 06:15:27 PM »
How much you want to bet the jury voted guilty on all counts because, if they acquitted Chauvin on any of the charges, the racists of BLM and the fascists of Antifa go on a looting and arson spree in protest. Another factor is the jurors were afraid of the real possibility of being doxxed and voted the way they did to protect themselves and their families.

Something else has me stumped.  How can they vote guilty on all three crimes? It's either 2nd Degree Murder, 3rd  Degree Murder or Involuntary Manslaughter, not all of the above.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 06:28:42 PM by Zathras »
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 06:23:36 PM »
How much you want to bet the jury voted guilty on all counts because, if they acquitted Chauvin on any of the charges, the racists of BLM and the fascists of Antifa go on a looting and arson spree in protest. Another factor is the jurors were afraid of the real possibility of being doxxed and voted the way they did to protect themselves and their families.

blm would loot and riot either way the verdict went.  Either in celebration or retaliation.

This is the new form of Justice in Beijing biden's America

I wouldn't be surprised if alot if good COPS throw in the towel knowing that they have targets on their backs

Police lives matter.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 06:48:13 PM »
Something else has me stumped.  How can they vote guilty on all three crimes? It's either 2nd Degree Murder, 3rd  Degree Murder or Involuntary Manslaughter, not all of the above.
DH asked the same question. Seems like it should be only one verdict.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 07:38:47 PM »
DH asked the same question. Seems like it should be only one verdict.
I've heard this issue discussed in some YouTube livestreams. Minnesota laws appear to be problematic in this regard. Thus, Chauvin was found guilty of both 'unintentional murder' and manslaughter.

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 12:24:10 AM »

IMHO fear of doxxing is what really drove the verdict.  And the best way to not get doxxed was to vote guilty on all three charges.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 02:13:00 AM »
IMHO fear of doxxing is what really drove the verdict.  And the best way to not get doxxed was to vote guilty on all three charges.

The media was provided pretty detailed profiles of the jury members. It probably wouldn't have been too difficult to find out their names.

Offline BamaMoose

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 03:57:52 AM »
I'm sure there will be an appeal.  Too many issues both inside and outside the courtroom to ignore.  But, I'll admit that I feel he should be found guilty of some level of manslaughter.  At some point he should have realized that Floyd was no longer resisting and taken alternative action.  Whether or not Floyd was going to die because of the drugs in his system, Chauvin became a contributing factor.  I don't believe he intended to harm Floyd, he was just trying to restrain Floyd when he started flipping out.  Unfortunately, Chauvin didn't disengage when it became obvious that Floyd was in respiratory distress.  I feel bad for everyone involved because I don't believe the final outcome will serve justice to Floyd, Chauvin or any other participants.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 09:44:28 AM »

will this start a new precedence in American justice now?  Hoot and hollar about how the jury is supposed to act with the implied threat of violence against the jurors and society in whole if the verdict doesn't meet the requirements of the angry mob?

Police lives matter.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 07:12:19 PM »

I wondered the same thing. Typically the prosecution will put multiple counts out there so if it doesn't get the verdict on the top count maybe it will get one on the lesser counts.  Seems to me like that would be double jeopardy.

Something going on here... and I am not sure what it is.  If I had to speculate I would say the judge sentences the max, then 2 or 3 years down the road the conviction gets thrown out on appeal after all the hype has gone down and he gets quietly paroled.

One thing I am sure of... cops will no longer try to control crazy out of control folks and let them run off.  Ain't worth going to prison over some hyped up asswipe when he goes nuts and dies when you try to restrain him.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 07:50:28 PM »
will this start a new precedence in American justice now?  Hoot and hollar about how the jury is supposed to act with the implied threat of violence against the jurors and society in whole if the verdict doesn't meet the requirements of the angry mob?
I'm hoping against hope that the Rittenhouse case will turn out differently, due to it not getting as much attention as the Floyd case, the decedents having been engaged in violence at the time, and maybe other factors, but I'm not optimistic.