Author Topic: Judge Calls Health Law Unconstitutional  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Judge Calls Health Law Unconstitutional
« on: December 13, 2010, 12:18:15 PM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703727804576017552229615230.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEADNewsCollection

Judge Calls Health Law Unconstitutional

<snipped>

In a 42-page ruling, U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson said the law's requirement that most Americans carry insurance or pay a penalty "exceeds the constitutional boundaries of congressional power."

<snipped>

Article at the link.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline thundley4

Re: Judge Calls Health Law Unconstitutional
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »
I'm sure that Obama's team already has an appeal ready to go.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »
Obviously, a racist judge! (DU mode)

I find this a telling line from the judge: "At its core, this dispute is not simply about regulating the business of insurance -- or crafting a scheme of universal health coverage -- it's about an individual's right to choose to participate."

:clap:

Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 02:20:03 PM »
Finally.  'Bout damned time a Federal judge decided the Commerce Clause had a limit somewhere short of buying and selling living people (Come to think of it, some of them wouldn't even go that far, they'd just say the 13th Amendment precludes the possibility so it's a moot point).
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline ShawnTi

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 02:24:30 PM »
Sorry, new to the forum and can't figure out how to post a youtube video and I can't edit that one :(

[youtube=425,350]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2FwncVrlqA[/youtube]

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »
Finally.  'Bout damned time a Federal judge decided the Commerce Clause had a limit somewhere short of buying and selling living people (Come to think of it, some of them wouldn't even go that far, they'd just say the 13th Amendment precludes the possibility so it's a moot point).

Yeah, and interestingly the victory is on the "Rocket Docket", ensuring a somewhat accelerated trip to SCOTUS.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline true_blood

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 02:29:39 PM »
Finally. Maybe more judges will be ruling the same. Let's hope so!

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 02:33:48 PM »
 :) :-) :cheersmate:

Great news. I hope more judges rule this piece of crap to be unconstitutional.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 02:35:08 PM »
Gotta question on this, maybe for DAT:

What happens when multiple federal judges make a ruling on individual cases with the same basic theme, i.e., Obamacare, and they, in essence, differ with each other? Does each case individually wind its way through the court system, appellate, etc., just to ultimately wind up - maybe - with SCOTUS?

Is each case reviewed on its own merits, then another judgment is pronounced relative to that case?

How can a lower-court judge determine the constitutionality of a given law - let's say Obamacare in this instance - vice another judge from another district?

Do pissing matches ensue between these guys (unseen to the rest of us mortals, of course)?

Okay, I guess it was more than one question..... :whistling:

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »
This might help ya out a tad, Euph--the Florida case is for a different part of the Health Care Deform, according to RedState. 
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »
This might help ya out a tad, Euph--the Florida case is for a different part of the Health Care Deform, according to RedState.  

Okay, that does help - but in the news of late, what we're hearing is Judge A rules that Obamacare is constitutional; Judge B rules that Obamacare is constitutional, but Judge C rules that Ocare is UNconstitutional. Granted, we're talking 3 different cases with 3 different sets of facts for each, but the bottom line seems to point toward the law is either upheld or it's shitcanned.

I'm trying to figure out who - besides SCOTUS - gets to sort through all this legal mumbo jumbo and get these guys singing off the same page....if that's even possible.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 02:45:28 PM »

What happens when multiple federal judges make a ruling on individual cases with the same basic theme, i.e., Obamacare, and they, in essence, differ with each other? Does each case individually wind its way through the court system, appellate, etc., just to ultimately wind up - maybe - with SCOTUS?

Is each case reviewed on its own merits, then another judgment is pronounced relative to that case?

How can a lower-court judge determine the constitutionality of a given law - let's say Obamacare in this instance - vice another judge from another district?

Do pissing matches ensue between these guys (unseen to the rest of us mortals, of course)?

I'm certain that DAT will give you a more definitive answer, but it is my understanding that these cases will be appealed to their respective Circuits, and if eventually there are at least two Circuit Courts of Appeal that disagree in their final decision, the cases will be appealed to SCOTUS........it is one of the underlying duties of the Supreme Court to resolve issues between dissenting Circuits.

doc

Confucius

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »
Okay, that does help - but in the news of late, what we're hearing is Judge A rules that Obamacare is constitutional; Judge B rules that Obamacare is constitutional, but Judge C rules that Ocare is UNconstitutional. Granted, we're talking 3 different cases with 3 different sets of facts for each, but the bottom line seems to point toward the law is either upheld or it's shitcanned.

I'm trying to figure out who - besides SCOTUS - gets to sort through all this legal mumbo jumbo and get these guys singing off the same page....if that's even possible.

IMO, at some point in time in one of the lower courts, all of the cases that are being argued on the basis of the same portion of ObamaCare (in the same Circuit), will likely be combined.  That said, a number of the lawsuits attack different portions of the law, and those will likely proceed intact.

doc

Confucius

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 02:56:21 PM »
IMO, at some point in time in one of the lower courts, all of the cases that are being argued on the basis of the same portion of ObamaCare (in the same Circuit), will likely be combined.  That said, a number of the lawsuits attack different portions of the law, and those will likely proceed intact.

doc

Thanks - makes sense.

I probably could've answered my own question by researching the Justice Department and see how all those different Circuits, Districts, whatever, break down. Homework assignment for tonight, I guess....

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 03:12:04 PM »

'Resolving a difference in the Circuits' is one of the classic jurisdictional provinces of the Supreme Court, though it does not HAVE to take the case, nor is it the exclusive way this question would get there.  As far as there being a difference in the Circuits goes, though, there are a surprisingly wide number of situations where Federal agencies have to apply law one way in one State, and differently in another one, due to the States being in different Federal Circuits with different governing rulings on some fine point of evidence law, what exactly certain environmental law regulations mean, etc.

Basically, the cases start out in separate Circuits (And so necessarily different Districts, into which each Circuit is divided).  In each Circuit, it begins with an initial decision by a District Judge; one or both parties willl be unhappy and appeal it, which ultimately generates a Circuit Court (Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, to be more precise) decision and opinion.  When two different Circuits end up issuing conflicting opinions on the same point, it's a given that someone involved will try to get the Supreme Court to issue a writ of certiorari (Meaning that they accept the case for decision) to resolve the discrepancy.  It is optional for the Court to accept these cases, it depends on how serious they think the effect would be.

I am not really following the litigation on these cases, and don't know if a fundamental conflict with the pro-HellCare decision has irrevocably been raised yet.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 03:28:48 PM »
'Resolving a difference in the Circuits' is one of the classic jurisdictional provinces of the Supreme Court, though it does not HAVE to take the case, nor is it the exclusive way this question would get there.  As far as there being a difference in the Circuits goes, though, there are a surprisingly wide number of situations where Federal agencies have to apply law one way in one State, and differently in another one, due to the States being in different Federal Circuits with different governing rulings on some fine point of evidence law, what exactly certain environmental law regulations mean, etc.

Basically, the cases start out in separate Circuits (And so necessarily different Districts, into which each Circuit is divided).  In each Circuit, it begins with an initial decision by a District Judge; one or both parties willl be unhappy and appeal it, which ultimately generates a Circuit Court (Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, to be more precise) decision and opinion.  When two different Circuits end up issuing conflicting opinions on the same point, it's a given that someone involved will try to get the Supreme Court to issue a writ of certiorari (Meaning that they accept the case for decision) to resolve the discrepancy.  It is optional for the Court to accept these cases, it depends on how serious they think the effect would be.

I am not really following the litigation on these cases, and don't know if a fundamental conflict with the pro-HellCare decision has irrevocably been raised yet.

Both you and doc did a great job answering my questions. Thanks.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 04:24:55 PM »
Gotta start somewhere.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline ndh777

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 06:54:29 PM »
THANK GOD.

I was so overjoyed when I read this last night on Yahoo :D It's not officially over, and I doubt it will ever be as long as there are enough morons or under-educated people to continue to support it.
"Give me liberty, or give me death."

My personal blog-
htttp://ndh777.blogspot.com

Offline true_blood

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 07:07:26 PM »
THANK GOD.
I was so overjoyed when I read this last night on Yahoo :D It's not officially over, and I doubt it will ever be as long as there are enough morons or under-educated people to continue to support it.
Yeah Eric Holder, the red diaper doper baby, already has an appeal to the ruling.
I hope the Supreme Court shoot down this Hellcare.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 02:33:45 AM »
Don't count on SCOTUS to do the right thing. We have only four justices who believe in the Constitution. Four others believe they should develop policy, regardless of the Constitution. And one who swings both ways, depending on his mood that day. Ginsburg and Breyer can be counted on to base their decisions on international law; and there's no doubt about Kagan: [youtube=425,350]<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DSoWGlyugTo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DSoWGlyugTo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>[/youtube]

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 01:15:25 AM »

20 states ask judge to throw out Obama health law

PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) — Attorneys for 20 states fighting the new federal health care law told a judge Thursday it will expand the government's powers in dangerous and unintended ways.

The states want U.S. District Judge Roger Vinson to issue a summary judgment throwing out the health care law without a full trial. They argue it violates people's rights by forcing them to buy health insurance by 2014 or face penalties.

"The act would leave more constitutional damage in its wake than any other statute in our history," David Rivkin, an attorney for the states, told Judge Vinson. >>>

The other states involved in the lawsuit are Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Idaho, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah and Washington.

Leftists like Stinky and the Dungs in Congress remain willfully blind to the mountains of evidence demonstrating that government-run healthcare is guaranteed only to raise overall costs, increase the incidence of fraud, and lower the standard of care.

Why do they continue to support it? That’s simple: because they believe in it. The notion that the imperial federal government should control every aspect of people’s lives, regardless of the costs or demerits of such control, is an article of faith for the Left, not a product of reason. Conversely, leftists never offer free-market solutions to problems like healthcare reform because they abjure free markets.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:17:29 AM by Janice »
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline ndh777

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 01:48:04 AM »
Don't count on SCOTUS to do the right thing. We have only four justices who believe in the Constitution. Four others believe they should develop policy, regardless of the Constitution. And one who swings both ways, depending on his mood that day. Ginsburg and Breyer can be counted on to base their decisions on international law; and there's no doubt about Kagan: [youtube=425,350]<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DSoWGlyugTo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DSoWGlyugTo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>[/youtube]

You're right...I heard on the local news that this judge is not against the whole bill, just feels that the bill needs to be reformed a little because only PARTS of it are unconstitutional. From what they are telling me, he is still for it, just removing the parts that are against the Constitution or changing them up a bit so that they can go hand in hand with the Constitution.

If they really do go forward with that idea, I sure hope that they reform it. From what the news was saying, it sounded as though the judge was also trying to remove the part of the bill that would require anyone who refuses insurance to pay a penalty fee. If that is true, that would be fine with me and I'd be all for the bill! Just let me keep living my life, let me have any insurance company I want or none at all, and I'll be fine with the bill; otherwise, the bill can be destroyed and forgotten for all I care. But really, if that happened, I see no reason for such a law...if an injury is serious enough, no hospital is allowed to turn away a patient regardless of citizen status or their financial status thanks to previous laws which allow this. Although, I suppose this law would change it so that these that desperately need the medical treatment can have their medical service at no cost to them (technically since they will be taken from taxes) and not build a huge debt. I wonder if this bill does go through, what will happen to those who were not able to pay their previous balance and left in debt.

Has anyone here read the entire bill? I wouldn't point fingers at anyone who didn't read it and mock them because I haven't read it, and the politicians who put it through didn't read it either...*cough cough* Pelosi *cough cough*
"Give me liberty, or give me death."

My personal blog-
htttp://ndh777.blogspot.com

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 03:13:56 AM »
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline ConservativeMobster

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 09:51:32 AM »
Doesn't this bill fall on its face if any of the provisions are found unconstitutional?
Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?***Ronald Reagan

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 10:08:12 AM »
Doesn't this bill fall on its face if any of the provisions are found unconstitutional?

No, the provisions are all severable. So the rest of the law stays intact--as law--even if the USSC rules that the mandate is unconstitutional. But it's unworkable as policy, if that's what you mean, without the mandate, so in that sense it would fall on its face if this decision is finally upheld at the USSC.

Breyer is a pompous ass, but I'm not sure even he would think the mandate makes any Constitutional sense. And, as a sometimes betting man, I'd bet Kennedy casts his lot against it. This may turn out 6-3. Maybe even 7-2...

....Because I'm not 100% sure about Souter voting for this. Really. For all his libness, he has a remarkably mathematical mind that may lead him to see the illogic of the mandate.

Of course we can forget Sotomayor and Ginsburg.