Author Topic: Man Arrested Near Capitol After IED, Rifle, Ammunition Allegedly Found in Jeep  (Read 1299 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
WASHINGTON, D.C. —  DEVELOPING STORY:

A man is under arrest in Washington after an improvised explosive device, a rifle and some ammunition were allegedly found in his jeep, Capitol Police said Friday.

The man stopped to ask police for directions near the Capitol building at about 11 a.m. EDT Friday, at the intersection of 2nd and Independence Avenue Southeast, according to Capitol Police spokeswoman Sgt. Kimberly Schneider.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,417581,00.html

Offline DumbAss Tanker

If he stopped to ask the cops for directions, the odds are this is some poor dumb SOB who got lost on his way to eradicate gophers Caddy-shack style on a farm in back-country Maryland.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
I had heard that the rifle was cased. I didn't hear whether or not it was unloaded. If it was, he's in compliance with Federal transportation laws. I don't know about the alleged IED. Until more is known, it's hard to pass judgement. At the moment, it seems like a cased rifle doesn't really constitute probable cause to have searched the vehicle.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 01:24:34 PM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris

• Administrator
I heard the Sgt. making the announcement on the radio.  She was practically hyperventilating that they had found "an actual weapon" in the man's vehicle.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline jinxmchue

The man stopped to ask police for directions near the Capitol building at about 11 a.m. EDT Friday

What is "things not to do when you are carrying weapons and explosives in your vehicle in Washington, D.C.?"

Offline Airwolf

Has anyone seen TiT lately?
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Has anyone seen TiT lately?
puh-leez

DUmmis don't have the stones.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Whelp, it's a pretty good bet the guy was a liberal--after all, does any REAL man ask a WOMAN for directions?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Airwolf

In the local paper they said they found a live handgrenade in with the other stuff.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"