Author Topic: Man 'imprisoned' family in trailer for years  (Read 1332 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Man 'imprisoned' family in trailer for years
« on: August 14, 2008, 02:39:23 PM »
When police officers finally searched the squat white mobile home of Raymond Thurmond in Lavonia, Georgia, the smell was so horrendous that one had to wear a gas mask and another refused to enter.

Thousands of cockroaches and other insects were found crawling across the floor and in the furniture, there were decomposing food remains everywhere and a problem with the plumbing had caused the floor to rot.

Lieutenant Missy Collins, of Lavonia Police, said: "It was pretty much a virtual prison. He controlled what they ate, what they did. He controlled pretty much everything." Thurmond is currently in custody on suspicion of raping his wife, child abuse and false imprisonment. The poultry plant worker's arrest and the evidence uncovered has shocked neighbours on the 100-trailer park that they lived on in the town, 90 miles from Atlanta.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2556301/Man-imprisoned-family-in-trailer-for-years.html

There is some grim video footage at the link too.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Man 'imprisoned' family in trailer for years
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 02:41:31 PM »

this reminds me, MSNBC did an entire program on the horrible Josef Fritzl thing . . . .

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
Something is screwy about this.  First, even if I was being held captive in a mobile home, I would still keep it as clean as possible.  Second, why didn't they leave while daddy was at the chicken plant?  There were no bars on the windows.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 04:44:55 PM »

this reminds me, MSNBC did an entire program on the horrible Josef Fritzl thing . . . .

I saw that...it was horrifying to know people like him exist in this world.  Fiction can't hold a candle next to real life horrific traumas.

Offline Sadie

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 03:10:20 PM »
I would be looking for a way out of that place from day one. Hard to understand how they thought they had no way out.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 03:21:10 PM »
I think it is probably easier to scare the stupid. Just look at DU...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:07:56 PM »
I would be looking for a way out of that place from day one. Hard to understand how they thought they had no way out.

Not only that, but trailer parks aren't known for acreage homesites...how did no one in the vicinity not know or hear or suspenct anything for so many years??