Author Topic: Justice Roberts rescues Obamacare again  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Belle

Justice Roberts rescues Obamacare again
« on: June 25, 2015, 09:33:11 AM »
In a 6 - 3 ruling today the Supreme Court said the tax subsidies are a yes, nationwide.  Roberts rewrote Obamacare to save the mandate in 2010, changing a fee to a tax. 

Roberts:  “Congress passed the Affordable Care Act to improve health insurance markets, not to destroy them."  Sure, John, even tho the law was specifically written that only those states who set up their own exchanges would qualify for subsidies.

I won't rant, I  promise, but it is apparent to me that there will be no more legislation that upholds the Constitution & there is no voice for conservatism. 

This ruling is a win-win for insurance companies.  I compare it to student loans.  The universities know that the government is pushing these loans, so they'll push their prices up & bestow huge salaries for liberal Professors that teach revisionist history & push their leftist agenda.  So these insurance companies know they'll receive guaranteed subsidies & raise their prices as well. 

Obamacare, Obamatrade, open borders, desecration of our Constitution, oh, oh, sorry, I'm ranting.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-25/obamacare-tax-subsidies-upheld-by-u-s-supreme-court-ibc9o863

Offline Fourwinds

Re: Justice Roberts rescues Obamacare again
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 09:38:32 AM »
I still remember the photos of this prick's smug grin when Obama Care was passed the first time.

Offline Belle

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:44:48 AM »
Hey, Fourwinds, you're onto something.  Have you noticed that progressives, especially when they're destroying you, always seem to have a "smug grin"?  Our King is great at that.  Okay, there are exceptions; Michelle always seems to have a scowl, even when she's going on taxpayer paid vacations.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:52:59 AM »
I still remember the photos of this prick's smug grin when Obama Care was passed the first time.

I still remember the "smirk" and "nod" by Bush to Roberts when he was appointed to RINOdom.
I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed, a democracy in a republic, a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 10:00:11 AM »
Belle: "I won't rant, I  promise, but it is apparent to me that there will be no more legislation that upholds the Constitution & there is no voice for conservatism." 

I agree with you.  During Barry's reign of terror you will NOT see the Constitution upheld.  That is why it is so very important to elect a conservative as the nominee.  I truly believe this is our very last chance to save this country peacefully and that ONLY a conservative will beat the DEMS to the White House.  Bush RINO and Rubio RINO just aren't going to win, nor would they bring about the change we need.

As for Barrycare.  It is here.  IMHO it is up to the conservatives to come up with a better plan and sell it on the campaign trail to get some votes from the DEMS and Independents.  After all liberals will vote for what they can get.
I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed, a democracy in a republic, a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Belle

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 10:00:52 AM »
A scathing rebuttal from Justice Scalia:

â€œWe should start calling this law SCOTUScare.”

"The Court holds that when the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act says ‘Exchange established by the State’ it means ‘Exchange established by the State or the Federal Government.’ That is of course quite absurd, and the Court’s 21 pages of explanation make it no less so."

â€œWords no longer have meaning if an Exchange that is not established by a State is ‘established by the State.’ It is hard to come up with a clearer way to limit tax credits to state Exchanges than to use the words ‘established by the State.’ And it is hard to come up with a reason to include the words ‘by the State’ other than the purpose of limiting credits to state Exchanges.”

No further proof is needed to know we are in the throngs of an activist Judicial.  & since these are life long positions, & R & D's will continue to stack the court with liberals, liberalism is cemented & in majority rule in the Judicial, executive, senate & house.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015/06/25/supreme-court-upholds-tax-subsidies-under-obamacare/

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 10:12:53 AM »
The writing is on the wall.  We have a liberal justice system; a liberal president, and a liberal Congress.  Sorry, but many Republicans voted for RINOs time and time again for the sake of party.  Unfortunately, this is where it got us.  This is why I cannot and WILL NOT vote for Jeb should he be the nominee as it won't make a damn bit of difference.  IMHO it's too late anyways.  It is time to realize (most of us have) that we need to prepare ourselves as best we can for the worst and hope for the best.

Offline Belle

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 10:55:52 AM »

libertybele:  "During Barry's reign of terror you will NOT see the Constitution upheld.  That is why it is so very important to elect a conservative as the nominee." 

Agree.  If you were guessing, what % chance is there of a conservative getting past the Rove/Prieubs powerhouse?

libertybele:  " Sorry, but many Republicans voted for RINOs time and time again for the sake of party." 

Agree again.  For me, as a registered Independent (always been) I voted for the lesser of 2 evils.  No more.   

Offline Belle

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 11:18:48 AM »
Okay, what did I say, darn, another negative.  I know, its my rants. Bring it on.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 11:25:06 AM »
Okay, what did I say, darn, another negative.  I know, its my rants. Bring it on.
It wasn't me, but maybe you should learn to use the quote function.  It would make your posts more readable.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 11:53:28 AM »
Roberts basically said that since the law was written so sloppily then they have no choice to let it it stand based on what they divine were the intentions.

Why does a liberal pick for the Court NEVER turn out to be a mistake for them but at least half or better presumed conservative ones end up that way for us?

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 12:00:50 PM »

I just gave you one, for complaining about it.

:tongue:
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Belle

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 01:19:43 PM »
Hey, Big Dog, you're right & I deserved it.  No hard feelings. 
You're right, Chris.  Non-techy me will have to figure it out.

Offline RayRaytheSBS

• "There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men."
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 01:28:07 PM »
Hey, Big Dog, you're right & I deserved it.  No hard feelings. 
You're right, Chris.  Non-techy me will have to figure it out.

Hit the quote button on a random post, you'll see [ ] with quote in it at the top. That starts what you want quoted. When you get to the end of what you want quoted type [/ ] with quote after the /, and it will highlight in grey for you.

If you hit the insert quote button st the top right of my post, you'll see what I'm talking about.
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms”

“The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion ... and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself - ultimate cost for perfect value.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 02:00:26 PM »
Roberts basically said that since the law was written so sloppily then they have no choice to let it it stand based on what they divine were the intentions.

So by this logic, if a bridge builder designs and constructs a bridge in a very sloppy manner are we to just let it stand on what we thought the builder was really trying to build, or do we say it's dangerous and needs to be scrapped and built over again, this time with more attention to the design and construction of the bridge.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 02:28:23 PM »
So by this logic, if a bridge builder designs and constructs a bridge in a very sloppy manner are we to just let it stand on what we thought the builder was really trying to build, or do we say it's dangerous and needs to be scrapped and built over again, this time with more attention to the design and construction of the bridge.

Engineering? Numbers? Undeniable truth? Facts?

STOP THE MICROAGGRESSION!

Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 09:18:45 PM »
America is decline.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »
House bill would force the Supreme Court to enroll in ObamaCare
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/246204-gop-bill-would-force-supreme-court-to-enroll-in-obamacare

A House Republican on Thursday proposed forcing the Supreme Court justices and their staff to enroll in ObamaCare.

Rep. Brian Babin (R-Texas) said that his SCOTUScare Act would make all nine justices and their employees join the national healthcare law’s exchanges.

“As the Supreme Court continues to ignore the letter of the law, it’s important that these six individuals understand the full impact of their decisions on the American people,” he said.

Go for it!
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 10:11:25 AM »
House bill would force the Supreme Court to enroll in ObamaCare
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/246204-gop-bill-would-force-supreme-court-to-enroll-in-obamacare

Go for it!

That bill will never even make it out of committee.

Babin is simply expressing sheer frustration, which is completely understandable. But if he thinks that bill will go anywhere other than the trash pile, he'd better think again.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 03:14:34 AM »
I find it hard to believe that Roberts has changed stripes. He must be getting blackmailed.

Conservatives are in a world of hurt even if one is the nominee for the Presidency. Many Rinos and Rockefeller Repubs would rather see Hillary win IMO.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 02:29:27 PM »
I find it hard to believe that Roberts has changed stripes. He must be getting blackmailed.

Conservatives are in a world of hurt even if one is the nominee for the Presidency. Many Rinos and Rockefeller Repubs would rather see Hillary win IMO.

You're making the assumption that he was a conservative all along.

Bush 43, the RINO that he is, appointed Roberts to the Court and to Chief Justice. Why shouldn't we expect that Roberts is going to do the RINO thing?

Scalia's dissent was priceless. He flat out said that Roberts' Court (though he didn't name him outright) is in the business of playing favorites with laws and "fixing" laws that were broken. He also wrote that Congress is in the business of making law and that when SCOTUS rewrites laws to fix them, the Court is in a place the Framers never intended for it to be.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 04:37:20 PM »

Bush 43, the RINO that he is, appointed Roberts to the Court and to Chief Justice. Why shouldn't we expect that Roberts is going to do the RINO thing?

Scalia's dissent was priceless. He flat out said that Roberts' Court (though he didn't name him outright) is in the business of playing favorites with laws and "fixing" laws that were broken. He also wrote that Congress is in the business of making law and that when SCOTUS rewrites laws to fix them, the Court is in a place the Framers never intended for it to be.

Hi 5.  Exactly, why should we expect a Bush appointee to be anything other than a RINO?  Jeb will be no different; in fact he'll be even worse.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 11:08:04 PM »

Roberts and Kennedy fooled a lot of people including me. Many experts thought that Obamacare would be defeated. Facts are that Bonehead, Obama and Pisslosi were drawing up plans in case that happened to cover those that lost their insurance under Odumbocare. . 

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 06:52:51 PM »
By Roberts's logic (effects of changes vs actual law), Brown v Board of Education should have gone the other way, since the repercussions of that decision are still ongoing in America's educational system. "The Warren Court didn't write that decision to destroy the education system, but to ensure that millions of black children had an education".

He's the reason I'm starting to believe in term limits for Federal judges.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 11:18:29 AM »
He may have rescued Barrycare again, but it's only a matter of time before reality sets in by next election.

Here are five remaining threats to Obama’s signature domestic program.

1.) Repeal

Republicans are already turning their attention back to repealing the law, perhaps using a fast-track process called reconciliation that could move legislation through the Senate with just 51 votes.

But there are major obstacles ahead. Senate rules limit what parts of the law can be repealed using the process, and whatever legislation emerges would likely face a veto from Obama....

2.) Marketplaces failing

Some of the 13 states that opted to set up ObamaCare marketplaces, known as exchanges, are considering turning over part of all of their operations to the federal government due to financial and technical problems.

New Mexico, Nevada and Oregon have already handed over the toughest aspects of their operations to the federal IT system. Hawaii decided earlier this year to follow suit, and other states, including Vermont and Minnesota, are considering their options.

“The chances are good that some of the state-based marketplaces struggle, especially in the smaller states,” said Michael Adelberg, who formerly helped oversee the exchanges in the Obama administration and is now a consultant at FaegreBD.

The stakes of failing state exchanges are far lower now that the Supreme Court has ruled that subsidies can be made available on federal or state exchanges. But states have invested significant resources into their exchanges, with some costing as much as $200 million.

“We’re going to work with states that want to do state-based exchanges,” Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell told reporters last week. “We’ll do federal exchanges where there aren’t those.”

3.) Rising costs

Republicans have latched on to proposed 2016 premium increases of as much as 30 percent in some states to argue that costs are skyrocketing under ObamaCare.

States are likely to block any premium increases of that size, and the average premium increase appears to be trending at somewhere between 4 percent and 6 percent.

A Kaiser Family Foundation study found that in 11 cities with complete data so far, premiums are set to rise 4.4 percent, compared to 2 percent last year.  Similarly, an analysis from Avalere Health, a consulting firm, found that premiums will rise 5.8 percent across eight states with complete data.

“The growth looks to be pretty modest,” said Larry Levitt, a vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation, though “somewhat bigger this year than last year.”

Perhaps a bigger problem for the law is the cost of deductibles — the amount patients have to pay before insurance kicks in. A study from the Commonwealth Fund finds that 31 million people are “underinsured” because they face such high deductibles and out-of-pocket costs.

“Are the people buying lower cost plans in the Exchanges underinsured?” Adelberg said. “That is one place people are going to turn their attention.”...

4.) Enrollment challenges

...“The biggest challenge ahead is increasing enrollment. Getting more people signed up is central to the law's primary aim,” Levitt said. “Increasing enrollment is also key to keeping premiums under control.”

People who have signed up for ObamaCare so far tend to be sicker and poorer than the population at large. The challenge for the administration will be getting middle-income, healthier people enrolled. A higher penalty for lacking insurance next year (the greater of $695 or 2.5 percent of income) could help...

5.) Another lawsuit

The legal challenges to the law are not over....

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/246489-five-lingering-threats-to-obamacare