Author Topic: Bad news found to be false; bitterness ensues  (Read 902 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Bad news found to be false; bitterness ensues
« on: February 28, 2012, 10:06:37 AM »
stopbush (10,365 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

Newport Beach restaurant: 1% tip a hoax
Social media is abuzz over the infamous “1% tipper” story involving True Food Kitchen in Newport Beach.

The story about a 1% tipper in Orange County has been making the rounds on Twitter and Facebook since Friday. In a blog, an anonymous employee dubbed Future Exbanker, posted a photo (shown right) of a receipt left by his or her boss at True Food Kitchen in Fashion Island.

The employer, according to the photo, left $1.33 tip on a bill of $133. 54. Making matters worse, an insulting message is left for server Breanna: “Get a real job.”

Who is Breanna? Who is this alleged cheapskate banker? And, what exactly went down that day at True Food Kitchen?

This afternoon, True Food Kitchen, finally responded to the viral blog post — calling much of it a hoax. The original receipt was altered, including the tip amount, the restaurant told The Register.

“True Food Kitchen was able to determine a number of things were altered in comparison to the merchant copy. The total bill was $33.54 and the tip was more than $7. The handwritten note was not authentic either,” True Food Kitchen’s Jami Reagan told The Register late Monday night.

Earlier today, the Newport Beach restaurant posted this message on its Facebook page:

“We’re glad to respond to the news stories about a tipping incident at True Food Kitchen in Newport Beach. Our first concern is with our staff, we are very fortunate to have employees that are talented, bright, and undoubtedly, some of the best in the business.

We’re also glad to be able to clear up some misinformation regarding the incident at True Food Kitchen in Newport Beach. The receipt that was originally posted on the blog, Future Ex Banker, and then republished by various websites, was, in fact, altered and exaggerated. We can also assure you that the receipt was not posted and altered by anyone on behalf of True Food Kitchen. We respect our guests’ privacy and take it very seriously; we would never share personal information.”

The Register tried to contact “FutureExBanker” via Twitter on Friday, but the blogger has yet to respond. His website was shutdown late Friday, according to HuffPost. His Twitter account is also offline.

http://fastfood.ocregister.com/2012/02/27/newport-beach-restaurant-reacts-to-1-tipper-photo/150695/

villager idiot loves him some 1% hate:

villager (17,347 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

3. Clearly. The 1% are the kindest people on earth.

n/t

6. Glad to hear about your lunch tabs. The putative hoax, as you know, was pinned on a 1%er.

My point was, it didn't feel hoax-y to most people because the behavior was so believably 1%ish.

10. Yes, I'd forgotten all the examples of the kindness of banks which permeate the news lately...

Thank you for reminding me. You must rely on the kindness of banks, Blanche DuBois-style, yourself, I take it? 

dogknob (524 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

20. Having worked in restaurants at many levels for a long time...

... I believed it because it happens all the time. Not snarky notes on the bill, but 1%ers consistently stiffing.

And I've had head-waggling NY whores with knock-off Louis Vitton handbags stiff me for a $100 tab and then complain to the manager I had no personality.

So?

WI_DEM (27,299 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

23. local morning news anchor reported this morning this was a hoak with a smirk

on his face and then said, 'Once again the media jumps to conclusions.' because we all know that the 1% couldn't have done anything like this.

****! I hate when bad news isn't bad!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002358875
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: Bad news found to be false; bitterness ensues
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:09:56 AM »
Could be worse...the employees could have told the customer the place was full of bugs!

:-)
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:12:21 AM »
Fake but accurate.  :panic: :panic: :panic:

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Fake but accurate.  :panic: :panic: :panic:

Must you turn every thread into a discussion of orgasms?

I keed! I keed!

*runs*
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »
Must you turn every thread into a discussion of orgasms?

I keed! I keed!

*runs*

Hello!

Were iz teh boobiez?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:48:02 AM »
here ya go  http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibfan-africa/123288359/

DON'T click the link!  There's a virus there!!

Just not for your computer.

:-)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Karin

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »
You know, when this story first came out, one Dreamer Tatum spoke up and said it looked like a hoax.  Looked too "set up." 

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »
villager (17,347 posts)

6. Glad to hear about your lunch tabs. The putative hoax, as you know, was pinned on a 1%er.

My point was, it didn't feel hoax-y to most people because the behavior was so believably 1%ish.

In other words, fake but accurate.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 12:44:47 PM »
I got news for ya DUmmies, if I new one of you waited tables, I'd make it a point to go there all the time! I'd leave a 0% tip! How do ya like them apples? And I sure as hell ain't no 1%er!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!