Author Topic: flippin dryer  (Read 2394 times)

Offline sondrab

• Probationary (Probie)
flippin dryer
« on: March 05, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »
Over the last two months I have changed out a blown fuse in my dryer. I've been on the roof cleaned out all the vents and today had to replace yet another fuse. So while I was in there I cleaned everything inside and noticed the vent that runs from the blower fan to the outside vent had a pretty good size space between it and the fan... So I figured problem solved. Yay me! Well %@#$, got everything put back together and started it up only for it to die after about 10 seconds. Gonna try a few more things, hoping I don't cause bigger problems, but I'm just about ready to push this flippin thing in the lake.
 :banghead:
:wtf3:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: flippin dryer
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »
Could you have recently added an appliance on the same breaker as the dryer?

Offline sondrab

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 02:33:24 PM »
Could you have recently added an appliance on the same breaker as the dryer?

I thought of that, nope, even made sure I wasn't running the washer at the same time the last few weeks. I never had this problem at the old house. I'm thinking maybe I crossed a wire or something this time, I had to take out the drum in order to fix the stupid vent thingy.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 03:01:05 PM »
I thought of that, nope, even made sure I wasn't running the washer at the same time the last few weeks. I never had this problem at the old house. I'm thinking maybe I crossed a wire or something this time, I had to take out the drum in order to fix the stupid vent thingy.

I'm no electrician, but it seems to me if the dryer keeps blowing the fuse/circuit breaker, that usually means an electrical problem rather than a mechanical/vent related issue.

If your dryer is electric-fired, you'll likely be running at 220 volts, so your washer won't impact that at all since it runs at 110 volts. If, however, your dryer is gas-fired, it may be running at 110 as well. But most of the time, electricians won't wire major appliances like that on the same circuit for the reasons you're finding out now.

Do you hear anything out of the ordinary? Maybe the drive/drum belt is being impeded and the extra load on the motor that turns the drum is causing the motor to overheat and thus trip the breaker.

It sounds like you've cleaned out the lint problem altogether (lint is a major source of problems) so I'd doubt that it's lint issue.

Failing that, it almost has to be an electrical issue and the only way to troubleshoot that sort of thing is to test it or identify an obvious problem like an overloaded motor. Hope this helps....
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »
Change the heating element on the dryer.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline sondrab

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »
Change the heating element on the dryer.

Been there done that, its getting hot so its not the heating element. I have an electrician on the way to check it out, got shocked a few times just trying to plug it in. LOL not that I'm complaining kinda liked the jolt. But I'm thinking its just time to send old girl to the scrap yard and get a new one if its not electrical related.  Im thankful for the help though.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:22:59 PM »
Whatever Ms "I do everything myself" Sondra.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:33:56 PM »
Been there done that, its getting hot so its not the heating element. I have an electrician on the way to check it out, got shocked a few times just trying to plug it in. LOL not that I'm complaining kinda liked the jolt. But I'm thinking its just time to send old girl to the scrap yard and get a new one if its not electrical related.  Im thankful for the help though.

Did you change out where the heating element plugs in. That usually what goes bad, other than a short itself in the element causing breakers to trip.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline sondrab

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »
Quote from: BEG link=topic=70208. :tongue:msg822461#msg822461 date=1330996979
Whatever Ms "I do everything myself" Sondra.

I have you know I had to get toad to open my bottle of wine tonight. Smarty pants!

Offline sondrab

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
Did you change out where the heating element plugs in. That usually what goes bad, other than a short itself in the element causing breakers to trip.
:thatsright: I haven't tried that yet, but I'm kinda thinking target practice is looking kinda good right about now and I have a good ol Target. Thanks for the idea, ill try it tomorrow. 

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 11:34:18 PM »
rather then invest more $ down the drain (or dryer as it appears) just invest in a new appliance! Dont go for the cheapest or the most exspensive.

Offline sondrab

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Out with the old in with the new!  :-)

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what brand dryer is it?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline sondrab

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »
Old one was maytag, went with whirlpool this go around. And guess what, got it installed and nothing, nata, ziltch. At least famous tate is sending out a repair person on their dime. But I really need to dry some clothes without hanging them out, pollen is to heavy to line dry them.   
 :censored: :banghead: :argh:

Offline longview

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 09:58:53 PM »
Old one was maytag, went with whirlpool this go around. And guess what, got it installed and nothing, nata, ziltch. At least famous tate is sending out a repair person on their dime. But I really need to dry some clothes without hanging them out, pollen is to heavy to line dry them.   
 :censored: :banghead: :argh:

Crud.  That's just wrong!  Hope you get it all fixed safely and cheaply.