Author Topic: 2008 Baseball season  (Read 38987 times)

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
Re: 2008 Baseball season
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2008, 10:54:01 PM »
:kumbaya:  <-- Phillie Phans two days ago.

:angryvillagers:  <-- Phillie Phans today.

The bats better be there for Hamels tomorrow.   :banghead:

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »
Mets are 0-2 against the Braves, and Jesus is 0-1, himself. :hyper: :evillaugh: :cheersmate:
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2008, 04:54:20 PM »
Mets are 0-2 against the Braves, and Jesus is 0-1, himself. :hyper: :evillaugh: :cheersmate:

And there's what, 157 games to play?

Way to go in basing a whole season on two games. :whatever: ::) :p
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2008, 08:06:50 PM »

In light of these developments, we should just quit and pull all our troops out of Iraq now.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2008, 04:01:19 AM »

In light of these developments, we should just quit and pull all our troops out of Iraq now.

H5 for that!

And, ya got to love the Braves' pen . . . Again, ice is needed in the stiff drinks that Glavine needs after watching the Braves' relievers blow another great outing of his.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2008, 07:56:36 AM »

Small victories, man.  Small victories.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2008, 10:42:37 AM »

Small victories, man.  Small victories.

Very small.  I'm sure that Glavine's thought to himself, "If I pitched those two games in a Mets uniform, the pen would have won at least one of them for me."   :tongue:

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2008, 10:58:07 AM »
Seriously, though.  The first step to winning the division is to win the series against the other division teams.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »
Seriously, though.  The first step to winning the division is to win the series against the other division teams.

'natch.  since with herr selig's "unbalanced schedule", you play everyone in your division 19 times (or so, depending on the division)

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2008, 03:45:29 PM »

'natch.  since with herr selig's "unbalanced schedule", you play everyone in your division 19 times (or so, depending on the division)

Two games does not a season make, RY.

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2008, 03:52:31 PM »

It beats losing them both.  Gotta set the tone.  Now if we could just beat somebody else. :banghead:

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2008, 08:34:28 AM »

It beats losing them both.  Gotta set the tone.  Now if we could just beat somebody else. :banghead:

I don't know whose bullpen is going to lose more games.  All four of our losses (yes, even the two to the Braves) are directly attribtable to the pen blowing the lead.  Though, if Carlos Delgado makes the throw to Jose Reyes in the seventh yesterday, instead of plunking Chase Utley in the back, Scott Schoeneweis gets out of that inning, as Pat Burrell flew out the next at-bat.

And, the Mets "set the tone" at the beginning of the season last year.  Then the Phillthies did the same at the end.  Given those two, I'd much rather see the second happen for the Mets this year.

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2008, 09:29:23 AM »

I don't know whose bullpen is going to lose more games.  All four of our losses (yes, even the two to the Braves) are directly attribtable to the pen blowing the lead.  Though, if Carlos Delgado makes the throw to Jose Reyes in the seventh yesterday, instead of plunking Chase Utley in the back, Scott Schoeneweis gets out of that inning, as Pat Burrell flew out the next at-bat.

And, the Mets "set the tone" at the beginning of the season last year.  Then the Phillthies did the same at the end.  Given those two, I'd much rather see the second happen for the Mets this year.
Did you see the Braves piss another away?  All 5 losses have been by 1 run.  At least if we ust get our asses beat, I could turn it off after the 7th. :hammer:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »

Did you see the Braves piss another away?  All 5 losses have been by 1 run.  At least if we ust get our asses beat, I could turn it off after the 7th. :hammer:

LA has lost the last two by 5 runs or more.  I don't think it hurts any less to lose big, but it is much less dramatic.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2008, 02:51:35 PM »

LA has lost the last two by 5 runs or more.  I don't think it hurts any less to lose big, but it is much less dramatic.

SNY, I think, had a graphic on screen Sunday, where the Elias Sports Bureau went back to the beginning of the '06 season, and the Braves had the worst record in MLB in one-run games.  Close to 20 games under .500 in those.

When John Smoltz came out of the pen, things rolled downhill.  It took a couple of years for things to take effect, but it happened.  Oh--one more thing . . .

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8002572/Top-Braves-prospect-Schafer-suspended-for-HGH

Chase her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2008, 09:11:01 PM »
I understand the Mets were gonna get us eventually, but good God!  9 walks!  4 errors!!!   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  Way to embarass yourselves on national TV, Phils.   :whatever:  Good thing tonight was Idol Gives Back night and no one saw that abortion of a game.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2008, 04:08:48 AM »
I understand the Mets were gonna get us eventually, but good God!  9 walks!  4 errors!!!   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  Way to embarass yourselves on national TV, Phils.   :whatever:  Good thing tonight was Idol Gives Back night and no one saw that abortion of a game.

I did . . .  :tongue:

At least the six runs Kendrick gave up in the third won't affect his ERA . . . All unearned.

Chase her.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2008, 05:41:05 AM »

this is great. we be gots some baseball fans at CC :hyper:.  this is going to be fun. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
Postponed
Atlanta (3-6, 0-4 away)
Colorado (4-5, 3-3 home)
ATL: Hudson (1-0, 3.46 ERA)
COL: Francis (0-1, 7.11 ERA)
W: (0-0) L: (0-0) S: (0)
TODAY'S GAME BETWEEN ATLANTA AND COLORADO HAS BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO SNOW. IT WILL BE MADE UP ON JUNE 16.

there is something basically wrong with a baseball game being snowed out. :thatsright:

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #144 on: April 10, 2008, 02:45:04 PM »
Postponed
Atlanta (3-6, 0-4 away)
Colorado (4-5, 3-3 home)
TODAY'S GAME BETWEEN ATLANTA AND COLORADO HAS BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO SNOW. IT WILL BE MADE UP ON JUNE 16.

there is something basically wrong with a baseball game being snowed out. :thatsright:

Gotta agree.  They could use a blaze orange baseball, though.  I had a couple waaaay back in my youth.

Chase her.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2008, 02:55:57 PM »
Postponed
Atlanta (3-6, 0-4 away)
Colorado (4-5, 3-3 home)

Gotta agree.  They could use a blaze orange baseball, though.  I had a couple waaaay back in my youth.

charley o. finley.  I remember (barely).  the traditionalists grabbed their chests and ran for the nearest EKG machine.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »
In other news, the Braves' bullpen woes just got more pronounced.

04/10/2008 4:45 PM ET
Moylan in the mix to close
Australian righty could get save chances while Soriano is out

DENVER -- With closer Rafael Soriano going on the disabled list before Wednesday's game with the Rockies, manager Bobby Cox is reluctant to designate any specific pitcher as the closer in Soriano's absence.
Cox indicated he'd "play it by ear," seeing no reason to put any pressure on a given pitcher when he has plenty of options to choose from depending on game situations.

Two of the top contenders for ninth-inning action are Peter Moylan and Manny Acosta. Both have excelled in relief roles for the Braves, with 2.23 and 2.28 respective career ERAs. Moylan has an edge of an extra year and 74 more appearances than Acosta, who made his big league debut in 2007 while Moylan was posting a 1.80 ERA in his sophomore season, making 80 appearances and earning a 5-3 record with one save.

"It doesn't matter to me whether it's the fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth or ninth inning," Moylan said of a potential shift in his bullpen role. "I'm still going to do what I do. I'm trying to get guys out. It's exactly the same. It doesn't matter if we're up by 10 or up by one or down by one."

The rest is at:

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080410&content_id=2512325&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

:sosad:

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2008, 08:43:45 AM »

DENVER -- With closer Rafael Soriano going on the disabled list before Wednesday's game with the Rockies, manager Bobby Cox is reluctant to designate any specific pitcher as the closer in Soriano's absence.
Cox indicated he'd "play it by ear," seeing no reason to put any pressure on a given pitcher when he has plenty of options to choose from depending on game situations.

Two of the top contenders for ninth-inning action are Peter Moylan and Manny Acosta. Both have excelled in relief roles for the Braves, with 2.23 and 2.28 respective career ERAs. Moylan has an edge of an extra year and 74 more appearances than Acosta, who made his big league debut in 2007 while Moylan was posting a 1.80 ERA in his sophomore season, making 80 appearances and earning a 5-3 record with one save.

"It doesn't matter to me whether it's the fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth or ninth inning," Moylan said of a potential shift in his bullpen role. "I'm still going to do what I do. I'm trying to get guys out. It's exactly the same. It doesn't matter if we're up by 10 or up by one or down by one."

The rest is at:

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080410&content_id=2512325&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

Not having a designated closer is not news to Braves fans.  Other than a couple of flash in the pan closers, we've never had a "closer".

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2008, 10:01:41 AM »

The rest is at:

Not having a designated closer is not news to Braves fans.  Other than a couple of flash in the pan closers, we've never had a "closer".

I seem to remember some guy . . . what was his name?  Oh yeah--Smoltz . . . racking up 150 saves in 3, maybe 4 years, not that long ago?  He wasn't a "closer?" :o

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2008, 10:06:19 AM »

The rest is at:

I seem to remember some guy . . . what was his name?  Oh yeah--Smoltz . . . racking up 150 saves in 3, maybe 4 years, not that long ago?  He wasn't a "closer?" :o
Believe it or not, I tend to forget Smoltz as a closer.  I always think further back than that.  My thoughts always go to Rocker, Wohlers, and the likes.  As a Braves fan, you are conditioned to believe you have never had anyone in the bullpen.  Thanks for the correction.