Author Topic: Party time...the lights are out!!1!  (Read 485 times)

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
Party time...the lights are out!!1!
« on: October 29, 2011, 03:33:57 AM »
This fire shows some promise.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x5041112
kpete  (1000+ posts)        Fri Oct-28-11 10:33 AM
Original message
NYPD Removes Gasoline, Generators From Downtown Protest Site 
 Source: Bloomberg

NYPD Removes Gasoline, Generators From Downtown Protest Site
October 28, 2011, 9:53 AM EDT

Oct. 28 (Bloomberg) -- New York police and fire personnel removed gasoline cans and generators this morning from Zuccotti Park, where Occupy Wall Street protesters have been camping out for almost six weeks, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

The equipment, which has helped the protesters power computers and mobile phones and keep warm as temperatures dipped to near freezing, are safety hazards and unlawful, Bloomberg said today on his weekly radio show on WOR. The material won’t be allowed back in to the park, he said. The occupants cooperated with law enforcement and the sweep produced no violence, he said.

Read more: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-10-28/nypd-remove...

iscooterliberally  (152 posts)      Fri Oct-28-11 11:11 AM
Response to Reply #2
3. I'm too far away to go there, but I don't understand.
 I have worked at many festivals where we set up temporary stages, and there are trucks selling food and beer and whatnot. We always used portable generators. Some are small, some are built onto trailers and run on diesel or propane. I think this is BS. It's just another attempt to rile the protesters and get them to react with violence. I'm glad the protesters cooperated, but this is unfair treatment. If the generators are set up properly they are quite safe IMHO.  
I don't recall when a mellow was harshed so fast....
brooklynite  (1000+ posts)      Fri Oct-28-11 02:33 PM
Response to Reply #3
26. Because the festival organizers have obtained PERMITS...
 ...which in turn require that safety regulations (size of canisters, allowable fuelds, spacing from burnable objects) are met and maintained. The OWS protestors, in refusing to obtain permits, haven't shown that their generators and fuel supplies are safe. I'm surprised the Firs Dept didn't pull them out sooner.
Kinda like TEA folks?

unapatriciated  (1000+ posts)      Fri Oct-28-11 04:19 PM
Response to Reply #32
51. I agree.
 When we were on strike (California Grocery Strike 2003). We had a small covered fire pit that we used for the first month of winter with no problems. This was a small town in the Sierra Nevada's (Mammoth Lakes, CA) where 20 feet of snow in the winter is the norm. Many of our customers donated wood (including the mayor) and no one had a problem with it. Our store manager complained and we lost our only source of heat for the rest of the strike (Oct.-April). Our Store Manager did everything he could to try and force us to react and break our picket line.
Bet you walked three miles to schooland back, too.
Both ways up hill.

louis-t (1000+ posts)        Fri Oct-28-11 04:06 PM
Response to Reply #26
47. Uh, they have been refused permits, not the other way around.
 Not in all cases, I'm sure.
Translater, stat!!

Here's an interesting comment.
Seems to start loopy, then read the last.
MADem  (1000+ posts)      Fri Oct-28-11 11:33 PM
Response to Reply #47
66. Well, in some cases, they didn't apply. They need to bring a lawyer with them
 IF they are having trouble obtaining permits.

In NYC, police prefer them, because they can better schedule overtime that way and block off streets so people don't get hurt.

iamthebandfanman (1000+ posts)        Fri Oct-28-11 11:33 AM
Response to Original message
4. guess its time to go green? n/t
Gitcha some, Jolly.

justiceischeap  (1000+ posts)        Fri Oct-28-11 11:40 AM
5. Are there solar generators?
 If so, they need to get some.
Yup, just tug on that rope. Ya, that's the one.

antigone382 (1000+ posts)        Fri Oct-28-11 11:41 AM
6. When I was there, there was a mobile solar generator, complements of Green Peace..
 Anyone know if that's still there, and if there are hopes of getting more? That wouldn't be as much of a safety hazard, it would seem.
That might charge a cell phone after six hours.

pasto76 (792 posts)      Fri Oct-28-11 11:41 AM
7. thats going to be hard to argue. Fire Marshal has tons of authority
 For groups this big, they want you to have a fire safety plan on file and stuff like that. Course once you start down that path, it's hard to argue that OWS expression is based on the constitution, and supercedes local ordinance.
Worth a small bit of repeat....
Course once you start down that path, it's hard to argue that OWS expression is based on the constitution, and supercedes local ordinance.
No shit.

Bennyboy (1000+ posts)        Fri Oct-28-11 03:47 PM
Response to Reply #42
44. Gasoline powered leaf blower?
 Sure there is gas in a can in the truck that maint. crew uses? I know they use a leaf blower.  
What? Why?

savannah43 (191 posts)      Fri Oct-28-11 01:14 PM
Response to Reply #10
15. Worst Case Scenario: Time for a winter break.
 Back in the spring, even more intent on pursuing this. There are other ways to keep this going without physically standing outdoors waiting to be assaulted by cops who are letting their inner bullies run free. We have more smarts and imagination on our side. They are controlled by their greed and fear of exposure. We are flexible. They are not.
I can even translate that.
"I'm cold, and don't want to be here anymore. I hope mommy left the basement door unlocked

OK, maybe the city's basement.
iscooterliberally  (152 posts)      Fri Oct-28-11 05:14 PM
Response to Reply #40
59. I wonder if they could move to a subway?
 I haven't been to Manhattan in years, but I do remember the subways staying much warmer. I'm not sure how the logistics of that would work out though.  

Y'all go have fun. I'm tired.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 03:37:59 AM by Skul »
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Party time...the lights are out!!1!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 05:19:14 AM »
Geez . . . ya think that maybe, because the protestors have openly talked about "violent revolution," that the NYPD isn't more than a tad worried about gasoline bombs?

What idiots at the DUmp.  But, I say that one twice.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 07:46:54 AM »
iscooterliberally  (152 posts)      Fri Oct-28-11 05:14 PM
Response to Reply #40
59. I wonder if they could move to a subway?
 I haven't been to Manhattan in years, but I do remember the subways staying much warmer. I'm not sure how the logistics of that would work out though. 

That could be dangerous. Might run into a deranged Panther.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:49:23 PM »
That could be dangerous. Might run into a deranged Panther.

Even worse, might run into a train.  Now here's a thought DUmmies, there is plenty of power in that third rail so I hear. :rofl:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline sharkhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 03:34:48 PM »
justiceischeap  (1000+ posts)        Fri Oct-28-11 11:40 AM
5. Are there solar generators?
 If so, they need to get some.

Solar generators, in downtown New York surronded by tall buildings, through the middle of winter.   :rotf:

You do that DUmmies I'm sure you'll 6 or 7 hours per of generation.

Per Month

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
I'm sure that using an evil giaa killing generator is against at least 40 regulations. Just wait until 0bama sicks his EPA Stormtroopers on them.  The EPA held up a drilling rig off the Alaskan coast because of the thousands of permits they needed they did not have one for a 5KW generator used on one of the support ships.  Shut them down for the entire summer season. The only season it was feasible to do exploratory drilling.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.