Author Topic: Pitt Screed  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Pitt Screed
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:52:19 PM »
Typical, though not as short as the one posted yesterday. Actually writing about something it's all too familiar with...........drinking

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2787183

WilliamPitt  (1000+ posts)       Tue Jan-29-08 03:08 PM
Original message
The Beginning of the End 
 The Beginning of the End
By William Rivers Pitt
t r u t h o u t | Columnist

Tuesday 29 January 2008

And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.

- Revelations 8:1, King James Bible

George W. Bush's State of the Union (SOTU) speeches have been the basis for a new kind of drinking game for several years now, basically because the things have always needed some kind of actual substance from somewhere, and because it was a good way to dull the pain of it all. The rules: 1. When he says the word "terra" or "terra-ists," take a drink. 2. When he says "tax cuts," take a drink. 3. When he says "Iraq," take a drink. 4. When he says "nook-yuh-lerr," take a drink and a shot and a good swift kick to the head. Et cetera.

But that's just one night out of the year. Reality has proven to be far more alcoholic in nature. For seven years now, the whole phenomenon of this government has been one long drinking game played out each and every day. The rules of this game? 1. Say the words, "George W. Bush is in charge of the country." 2. Turn off the TV. 3. Just drink.

Sounds familiar, right? Just about everyone has played that game a time or two by now. We have endured seven Bush SOTU speeches as of last night. Seven years worth of lies, carnage, greed, disgrace, failure, ignominy, calamity heaped upon calamity heaped upon calamity for more than two thousand five hundred days now, with three hundred and fifty seven more days still to go.

Seven speeches. Seven years.

No more.

The rest: http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/012908A.shtml

(teaser: the last word in the essay is "Drink"  )

Blah......blah.....blah

SalviaBlue  (145 posts)      Tue Jan-29-08 03:32 PM
Response to Original message
2. "Probably final" 
 There is not enough liquor on the planet to make that phrase less terrifying. Great article Will. K&R

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jan-29-08 04:08 PM
Response to Reply #2
8. that WaPo writer needs spanking
 What the hell was he thinking? Probably final?? I'm going to try to telephone him.

Virginia Dare  (1000+ posts)       Tue Jan-29-08 04:15 PM
Response to Reply #2
10. That was one of the most surreal things I've read in a while..
 I had to read it a few times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating...

malaise  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jan-29-08 03:45 PM
4. Lovely article William Pitt
 If he's there for an eighth, drink won't be enough. I'll probably be seen jumping from a high rise.

What a fine solution for your piece of shit traitorous ass  :bird:

frogmarch  (1000+ posts)       Tue Jan-29-08 04:13 PM
9. But the Bushco laws
 Edited on Tue Jan-29-08 04:14 PM by frogmarch
that are stripping us of our freedoms will remain after he's gone, until - and unless - they're changed.

And so will the forces that catapulted Bush into office. Even after Bush is back in Texas clearing brush, or whatever it is he does there, these forces, armed with big money and focused determination, will be working to strip us of even more of our freedoms. They are busily regrouping. We haven't seen the last of them.

No time for a sigh of relief. The nightmare's not over.

even in a time they should be celebrating...............the still anguish  :loser:

HypnoToad  (1000+ posts)       Tue Jan-29-08 04:16 PM
11. So each SOTU under Bush represents one seal?
 Okay. that is WHACKED.

Greenpeace would say the same thing if they saw seven seals being clubbed in the antarctic.

And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour while the meat was harvested and fur sewn into jackets.

Inference is cool.

Klukie  (904 posts)       Tue Jan-29-08 04:17 PM
12. What the hell does that mean..."probably final"?
 Is there any way there could be an eighth? What the hell would make that journalist make a statement like that? I realize that we here at DU frequently speculate ways that this Idiot in chief may try to extend his dictatorship but holy shit! I think I will have a drink...mabye two.

OPERATIONMINDCRIME  (1000+ posts)       Tue Jan-29-08 04:23 PM
13. As Soon As I Heard Him Speak Last Night And Seeing Pelosi Behind Him, I Had An Impulse Thought.
 I thought "wow, I don't BELIEVE it's been a year since the last one already. It feels like yesterday!".

Then I smiled after being overcome with awareness. See, a year from now, there will be a Democratic President standing there giving the SOTU. Then, this will all seem like yesterday. Ahhhhhh..... yesterday.

The end is near indeed

OMC's inner moonbat has been showing today

You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Re: Pitt Screed
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 04:39:42 PM »
What is all this reading into "probably final" by these Emo-Crats ? Don't they realize that the POTUS can deliver a SOTU address any time and as often as he likes ? It doesn't mean anything beyond that.

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:58:21 PM »
What the DUchebags should really be scared of is if Bush stays in office for 24 business hours.  That is a very

very

very

very long time.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:10:39 PM »
Last night's State of the Union speech was President Bush's 8th.  Pitt blew it big time.  He looks even more stupid, if that is possible.