Author Topic: AOC's Speech Snub, ICE Remarks Rankle Bernie Sanders Campaign  (Read 896 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
AOC's Speech Snub, ICE Remarks Rankle Bernie Sanders Campaign
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:52:52 PM »
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/02/aoc-bernie-sanders-campaign-iowa

With Bernie Sanders largely sequestered in Washington, D.C., at the end of last month ahead of the critical Iowa caucuses, the Vermont senator’s campaign deployed what is arguably its greatest weapon: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. And traversing the state, Ocasio-Cortez delivered, drawing massive crowds and pushing the message of progressive populism and younger voters that underlies Sanders' campaign. Ocasio-Cortez’s celebrity is bigger than politics, delivering a wattage that few campaign surrogates can match. She’s the moment’s definitive leader of youth and the left, often mentioned as a possible candidate for the Senate, or even the presidency in 2024. Ocasio-Cortez has undeniably been a boon to the Sanders campaign—she endorsed him in October, as he recovered from his heart attack, which was crucial to him regaining his momentum. But Ocasio-Cortez’s star power and independence make her a wild card. In Iowa, while AOC didn’t exactly go rogue, her performance stoked some tensions between herself and the Sanders campaign.

Following Ocasio-Cortez’s three-day stint, Sanders’s campaign manager, Faiz Shakir, texted AOC’s campaign manager to express his dissatisfaction with aspects of her performance, according to a source familiar with the exchange. Specifically, the Sanders campaign was miffed that Ocasio-Cortez didn’t mention Sanders by name when she closed out a campaign event at the University of Iowa on a Friday night at the end of last month—a fact that Fox News picked up on. (The Sanders campaign noted that this was one of the first campaign events Ocasio-Cortez did without Sanders, who she typically would introduce at the end of her remarks but he was in Washington, D.C. for the impeachment trial. Any reminder to mention the Senator was “good natured ribbing,” according to the campaign.)

Ocasio-Cortez’s comments about the abolition of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Patrol were also seen by some within the Sanders campaign as going too far, straying from Sanders’s stance on the issues in encouraging people not to cooperate with law enforcement agencies, according to this source. During an event in Ames, Iowa, Ocasio-Cortez told the crowd, “Organizing is about tipping people off if you start to see that ICE and CBP are in communities to try and keep people safe.” She continued, “I’m not here to reform some of these systems when we talk about immigration. I’m here because Senator Sanders has actually committed to breaking up ICE and CBP. That’s why I’m here.” (Ocasio-Cortez’s campaign declined to comment.)

Abolishing ICE is a major platform plank for AOC and a number of other progressive figures—including Congresswomen Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib, who have also endorsed Sanders. In the past, Sanders has been for stricter immigration laws than those supported by some of his progressive colleagues, though he’s tacked left more recently. He has previously drawn criticism for comments about “open borders.” His ambitious immigration plan now calls for the breakup of CBP and ICE and for the agencies’ current functions to be delegated to other federal agencies, including the State and Treasury departments, as well as the full demilitarization of the southern border. But immigration can be a hot button in states like Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan where Democrats have to win, and some felt that AOC had gone off script. (The Sanders campaign said Ocasio-Cortez was not off message and how she talks about these issues is how Senator Sanders talks about these issues.)

It stems from Joe Rogan's endorsement of Bernie Sanders.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: AOC's Speech Snub, ICE Remarks Rankle Bernie Sanders Campaign
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 10:17:59 PM »
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/02/aoc-bernie-sanders-campaign-iowa

It stems from Joe Rogan's endorsement of Bernie Sanders.

So much puzzling about this.  Although AoC doesn't believe in metaphors, I have no dog in this fight.  Rogan seems to be a critical thinking human.  Why shun him and put this gigantic ideological purity test to disavow rather than allow him to support Saint Bernie?

The left eating their own... delightful!!! :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:20:02 PM by Ralph Wiggum »
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 10:24:44 PM »
So much puzzling about this.  Although AoC doesn't believe in metaphors, I have no dog in this fight.  Rogan seems to be a critical thinking human.  Why shun him and put this gigantic ideological purity test to disavow rather than allow him to support Saint Bernie?

Yup.

-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:59:02 PM »

I believe the feminazis have some sort of problem with Rogan, which would explain AOC's antipathy.  I don't pay any attention to him one way or the other, so no idea what that's all about.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 06:48:12 PM »
I believe the feminazis have some sort of problem with Rogan, which would explain AOC's antipathy.  I don't pay any attention to him one way or the other, so no idea what that's all about.

I do not care for Joe Rogan either.

Bernie Sanders is embracing an endorsement from Joe Rogan, who's getting blasted for his past sexist and racist comments
https://www.businessinsider.com/bernie-sanders-joe-rogan-endorsement-offensive-comments-2020-1

But others were disturbed by Rogan's past commentary, some of which has been condemned as racist and transphobic. In 2013, for example, Rogan told a bizarre story about watching "Planet of the Apes" in a black neighborhood and describing it as walking "into Africa." That same year, he also insulted MMA fighter Fallon Fox, a transgender woman, saying she was "a f---ing man. ... I don't care if you don't have a d--- anymore." In the past, Rogan has also used misogynistic and homophobic slurs.

One person said that while some of Rogan's past commentary can be viewed as dangerous, they would rather have his massive reach work in Sanders's favor during the 2020 election.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du