Author Topic: The last line of this DUmmy OP sums up a big part of the DUmmy mindset/problem  (Read 460 times)

Offline dane

• http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/37017
http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=4022527

madinmaryland (54,673 posts)
An odd and controversial book that our daughter has to read for 11th grade English... [View all]

Last edited Tue Nov 12, 2013, 06:26 PM - Edit history (1)

The book is call "The Traveler's Gift" by Andy Andrews. The book bills itself as "Seven Decisions the Determine Personal Success" The writer is a Christian writer intersperses the book with excerpts and quotes from the Bible.

She is livid. She had highlighted the actual biblical quotes and is furious that the teacher had a debate about faith in class, and ended up taking sides in the debate over so-called Christian Values (she supported them).

Even though she is not enamored with English classes in general, she does not want to be in a Bible Study class, when she is supposed to be in an English Class.

She would have loved my 11th grade English teacher. We spent three weeks discussing the lyrics to "Hotel California"

THREE WEEKS on the lyrics to one song. Seems a bit of overkill to me.  I cannot recall spending that much time on Beowulf or Canterbury Tales.
This too shall pass.

Offline Karin

Three weeks?  It's about drug addiction.  Move on to something else. 

Offline lastparker

I'm willing to bet that 
the teacher had a debate about faith in class, and ended up taking sides in the debate over so-called Christian Values (she supported them)
was merely a case of the teacher correcting some incorrect fact in the argument put forth by the DUmmy's spawn, and the DUmmy's spawn can't handle being corrected.

I had a Latin teacher in high school who was openly atheist, and she probably knew the bible better than most regular church goers.  If someone misinterpreted a bible passage in ANY direction, she would have corrected them.  We had some great conversations, and she brilliantly stated her beliefs (and educated all of us in the process) without either putting down any other belief system, or "recruiting" us to follow hers.  Then again, private schools have room for such discourse.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline jukin

I'm willing to bet that   was merely a case of the teacher correcting some incorrect fact in the argument put forth by the DUmmy's spawn, and the DUmmy's spawn can't handle being corrected.

I had a Latin teacher in high school who was openly atheist, and she probably knew the bible better than most regular church goers.  If someone misinterpreted a bible passage in ANY direction, she would have corrected them.  We had some great conversations, and she brilliantly stated her beliefs (and educated all of us in the process) without either putting down any other belief system, or "recruiting" us to follow hers.  Then again, private schools have room for such discourse.

Well unlike a leftist she had knowledge and could argue in a fact based debate. All the leftists have is insults and personal attacks. No knowledge, no facts, and no skill at presenting the two.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Three weeks?  It's about drug addiction.  Move on to something else. 

It's their favorite subject, they can't.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.