Author Topic: The total illogic of the "Personal Responsibility" meme of the right wing.  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
CTyankee  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Aug-31-09 05:58 PM
Original message
The total illogic of the "Personal Responsibility" meme of the right wing.

Have you noticed all the "personal responsibility" arguments against government health care from the right lately?

Here's how it went with a wingnut I spoke to: We can't have or handle government health care like the Europeans have because we don't take personal responsibility for our health in this country. Presumably, the argument is that if we DID take such responsibility we could avoid the health care crisis we are currently in. So is more health care essentially BAD for our health?

I argued in favor of health care like they have in France. Well, you see, it seems the French are slimmer, healthier, eat better so it's OK that they have government health care (stay with me in this argument; I know it makes no sense). But, I say, if I am French and have lost my job I don't have to worry about my health care because, job or no job, I still have it. In this country, losing your job can be a catastrophic event in terms of health care. So which population would have the incentive of taking care of their health, the Americans or the French?

Does this make any sense? Does anything make any sense in the health care debate anymore?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6432859

You got me sparky, I have no idea what you are arguing.

YOY  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Aug-31-09 06:06 PM
Response to Original message
2. The 'personal accountabilty' is for us. Not them.   Updated at 4:53 PM

Otherwise the entire military would be full of young republicans and they'd pay for the wars using their own tax money.

The military is full of young repukes you idiot.
And we do pay taxes with our own money.

ddeclue  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Aug-31-09 07:12 PM
12. Personal responsibility is just the latest code word racism

i.e. white people are where they are because they are somehow superior and got their own their own and black people are where they are because they are inferior and therefore we shouldn't be forced to help them.

It is REALLY about destroying the role of government and trying to turn the clock back to before FDR when corporations and the rich ran everything but they are playing on people's racism and sense of self superiority in a very insidious way to do it.

Personal responsibility is fine as far as it goes but it fails to recognize that many things in life are simply beyond our control like natural disasters, crime, being laid off, catching a disease, being able to afford the schools necessary to get the training to get the job, etc., etc.

The same people who make this argument on health care are the same ones who blame New Orleanians for being victims of Hurricane Katrina because they didn't leave town - THEY COULDN'T LEAVE TOWN.

It's racism.

Of course the old "racism" argument.

I've figured it out when they can't debate logically they just scream racism.

The same people who make this argument on health care are the same ones who blame New Orleanians for being victims of Hurricane Katrina because they didn't leave town - THEY COULDN'T LEAVE TOWN.

I dunno they could have walked if need be. I know if I was in that situation my two feet would get me out of there.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
But, I say, if I am French and have lost my job I don't have to worry about my health care because, job or no job, I still have it.

I still say that the obsession with free health care boils down to this issue.
It means having a job and that is what they want to opt out of.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
I already posted this to another thread, but it looks like it will pertain to this thread also......

Well, it appears our African-American friends have found yet something else to be pissed about.

A black congresswoman (this would be Sheila Jackson Lee, of Houston), reportedly complained that the names of hurricanes are all Caucasian sounding names.
She would prefer some names that reflect African-American culture such as Chamiqua, Tanisha, Woeisha, Shaqueal, and Jamal.

I am NOT making this up!

She would also like the weather reports to be broadcast in "language" that street people can understand because one of the problems that happened in  New Orleans was that black people couldn't understand the seriousness of the situation, due to the racially biased language of the weather report.

I guess if the weather person says that the winds are going to blow at 140+ MPH, that's too hard to understand!
I can hear it now:

A weatherman in  New Orleans says...

Wazzup, mutha-fukkas!  Hehr-i-cane Chamiqua be headin' fo' yo ass like Leroy on a crotch rocket!  Bitch be a category fo'!  So, turn off dem chitlins, grab yo' chirren, leave yo crib, and head fo' de nearest FEMA office fo yo FREE shit!

That Shiela Jackson Lee is a real riot, ain't she?
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Quote from:
ddeclue

Personal responsibility is just the latest code word racism

Using the "racism" argument is just another coded phrase for racism.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
I already posted this to another thread, but it looks like it will pertain to this thread also......

That Shiela Jackson Lee is a real riot, ain't she?

Shelia Jackson Lee sounds white to me. Shame on her parents for not naming her a good african name.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
YOY  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Mon Aug-31-09 06:06 PM

2. The 'personal accountabilty' is for us. Not them.

Otherwise the entire military would be full of young republicans and they'd pay for the wars using their own tax money.

And otherwise the primitives would enlist in the War On Poverty, giving away all but the global "average" per capita private wealth, that each of them owns, to those poorer than the primitives.

Figures are murky, but it appears circa $137 is the global "average" per capita private wealth, and so the primitives need to give all they own, in excess of that, to those poorer than they, so as to be good soldiers.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Now there is a stupid statement!

One of the main reasons DUmmies hate the military is because it's predominantly Republican (and Christian).
And nearly all the tax money, regardless its use, comes from us.

Offline MrsSmith

YOY  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Aug-31-09 06:06 PM
2. The 'personal accountabilty' is for us. Not them.   Updated at 4:53 PM

Quote from: Freeper
The military is full of young repukes you idiot.
And we do pay taxes with our own money.

:rotf: :rotf: :bow: :rotf: :rotf:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
"Personal responsibility" = racism?

huh?

Are they saying minorities can't possibly be responsible for their own actions?

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all

huh?

That is a bedrock principle of the modern democrat party.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
That is a bedrock principle of the modern democrat party.

Then they are the true racists. Maybe someone should slap them.

Offline Ogre

• What Cat?
Of course the DUmba**es equate "personal responsibility" with racism, they wouldn't know what the **** personal resposibility was, even if it painted itself purple and danced naked in fromt of them.  
"Don't argue about difficulties. The difficulties will argue for themselves."  - Winston Churchill

"Get some lumber, build a bridge, and get the hell over it" - Unknown

Offline Airwolf

You can't make this stuff up. I don't know whether to thank GOD for the comedy that is DU or ask him to smite it.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: The total illogic of the "Personal Responsibility" meme of the right wing.
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 10:01:36 AM »

huh?

Yes they are, and racist for being minorities that are not responsible for their own racist actions.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 10:13:45 AM »
I am continually amazed at the contortions the Little Goons go through to justify never taking responsibility for their actions and badmouthing those of us that do.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Kimberly

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »
You can't make this stuff up. I don't know whether to thank GOD for the comedy that is DU or ask him to smite it.

Right now I am completely sick and tired of all of them. I vote for smite.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 11:06:05 AM »
12. Personal responsibility is just the latest code word racism
Oh ok!....So I guess that means that when you put a condom on it's racist? When a woman takes birth control it's racist and When a woman gets an abortion it's racist as well? :whatever:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 11:10:13 AM »
Alrighty.  Now I am confused.  Last week the DU told me that personal responsibility = greed.  This week, personal responsibility = racism.  Wonder what treat they have in store for me next week?  So far, I am a greedy racist. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 11:18:46 AM »
Alrighty.  Now I am confused.  Last week the DU told me that personal responsibility = greed.  This week, personal responsibility = racism.  Wonder what treat they have in store for me next week?  So far, I am a greedy racist. 

Next week is Homophobe.

Personal responsibility will = whatever the hell the Libs feel like at any give time.

And at no time do they EVER make it something good and something that should be praised.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 11:31:31 AM »
Next week is Homophobe.

Duh.  Too easy.  Shoulda seen that one coming.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 11:40:31 AM »
I wish they'd figure out which box the military belongs in. Today it appears they're all smart, responsible leftists (despite the general anti-war, anti-gun stance on that side of the political aisle), next time they'll be uneducated, small town conservative Christian hicks with no other alternatives. I honestly wish I could figure out how they actually twist themselves into believing the military is liberal. I've met plenty of Marines (even a couple of Athiests and a Wiccan) none were liberal, not one.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 12:40:14 PM »
I wish they'd figure out which box the military belongs in. Today it appears they're all smart, responsible leftists (despite the general anti-war, anti-gun stance on that side of the political aisle), next time they'll be uneducated, small town conservative Christian hicks with no other alternatives. I honestly wish I could figure out how they actually twist themselves into believing the military is liberal. I've met plenty of Marines (even a couple of Athiests and a Wiccan) none were liberal, not one.

Cindie

Beautiful thing about Liberalism (to the Libs that is)...is the ability to take any side of any topic or issue so as to never...EVER be wrong.

Trying to pin them down is like trying to pin down mercury.

Offline Karin

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 12:52:04 PM »
I stopped reading when I came to "Personal responsibility is racist" or some such.  I just can't take it anymore.  This thread is a reeking pulsing rotting swamp of stupid. 

Offline Doc Savage

• Challenger of the Democratic faith
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 12:56:10 PM »

I love it when the idiots over there spout this crap.  Anyone that lives or has lived in the "Big Easy" knows how large the dependent on govt population is.  Funny how all the public housing complexes have huge parking lots.  and there were sure enough cars in the 9th ward after the flood water receded.  

When I moved there, the very first thing I was told concerning a hurricane was to get out of town.  It will flood. Health care is not a right because an individual depends on someone else to provide their time, talent and resources to give it.  I tell my kids that your rights are free, no charge to you or cost to another.  If it cost money, it is not a right.  
You see, I don't care you how feel.  I really don't.  More importantly, neither does anyone else.  Only about 200 people on a planet of 7 billion actually care about your feelings, and that's if you're lucky.  The sooner you grasp this lesson, the better off you will be.  And since almost no one gives a damn what you do, say, think, or feel, appealing to your feelings when you encounter differences of opinion is not only illogical, but useless.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 01:02:15 PM »
From Boortz today:
Let's take a look at New Orleans before Katrina struck. Here are some statistics from City Journal:

"New Orleans's poor population includes a sizable underclass. Before Katrina struck, fully 10 percent of New Orleanians lived either in public housing or Section 8 housing, far above the rates in Houston or New York. Only 36 percent of New Orleans's adults were married, compared with more than 49 percent in Houston, and more than half of mothers were unmarried, compared with 28 percent in Houston. In some New Orleans neighborhoods, only a quarter of the children lived with married parents. More than two-thirds of female-headed black households lived in poverty. Though many of New Orleans's underclass had moved from idleness into low-wage, tourist-trade jobs over the past decade, thanks to federal welfare reform and an abundance of such work in the city, their family structures and social skills hadn't improved along with this fledgling work ethic. The concentration of weak families partly explains why the city endured some of the nation's highest violent-crime rates."

Who were these people described in City Journal? Many of them were the people who were put on busses and sent to places like Houston. It didn't take any great amount of brainpower to see how this was going to work out for Houstonians. I can remember the day that the busses rolled out of New Orleans on Interstate 10. I told my listeners "Houston, you have a problem." What kind of a problem? Here's more from City Journal:

"Houston has slowly acknowledged, Katrina evacuees pushed up Houston's rates for some crimes, particularly homicide, not just the raw number of offenses. Houston's post-Katrina crime surge is an extension of the pre-Katrina violence of New Orleans's criminal underclass. Before Katrina, New Orleans had the highest murder rate of any big U.S. city, almost four times Houston's, with 58 people killed per year for every 100,000 citizens. The murder numbers Houston has racked up since Katrina prove that violent New Orleanians haven't changed their ways, but only their scenery.

Since Katrina, Houston police have identified New Orleans evacuees as either suspects or victims (or often both) in more than 30 Houston-area homicides. Of an evacuee population of 175,000, this works out to a per-capita annual murder rate of about 34 per 100,000, well above Houston's pre-Katrina rate. News of violent murders committed by and against Katrina evacuees has created a bit of a backlash in Houston. In a recent Rice University poll of Houston-area residents, two-thirds of the participants blamed Katrina evacuees for the crime spike and for a "considerable strain" on community resources.