Author Topic: My University is leaping at the chance to support the Obamessiah  (Read 587 times)

Offline EastFacingNorth

• Math Geek
I recieved this in my university e-mail inbox today:

TO:       The University of Rhode Island Community
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
DATE:      October 22, 2008
SUBJECT:      Inappropriate Behavior
It has recently been brought to my attention that insensitive, inappropriate, and degrading messages relating to the race/ethnicity of Senator Obama have been left on one or more public access computers on our campus. Such actions serve only to hurt members of our community and many others outside of our campus.
While each of us is entitled to our own political views, none of us should be allowed to openly and maliciously insult others on the basis of race or religion without consequences. This type of behavior will not be tolerated in our community. I have asked our police to investigate this matter, which may rise to the level of a hate crime. Please cooperate if you are asked for information that might allow us to identify who is responsible for this despicable behavior.
On behalf of the entire URI community, I apologize to anyone who has been hurt by this.
Thank you.

http://www.uri.edu/news/notice/Inappropriate%20Behavior.pdf

While I obviously don't condone these sort of smears (teh Obamessiah is wide open for criticism based on his policies, there's no need for this sort of crap) it does piss me off that the school is cracking down on this sort of thing so hard.  I can't tell you how many smears I've heard about "Right-Wing fundies" on this campus, so they're obviously not going after people who make insults based on the religion of others, contrary statement above notwithstanding.

Of course, without providing the exact statements left on university computers it's impossible to decide whether or not this notice has any basis in fact whatsoever.  It's entirely possible that simply by visiting this very website I'd be commiting a hate crime against the Average Chicago Politician by this university's administration's guidelines.

This pisses me off. :censored:
Taxation if and only if Representation.

The Founding Fathers only got it half right.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: My University is leaping at the chance to support the Obamessiah
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:57:47 PM »
An educational institution should be politically neutral. If they won't address the smears from the left, then they have no justification to address smears from the right. Or..... are they saying that people don't have a 1st Amendment right unless they're from the left ??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 05:55:56 PM »
An educational institution should be politically neutral. If they won't address the smears from the left, then they have no justification to address smears from the right. Or..... are they saying that people don't have a 1st Amendment right unless they're from the left ??

Only Dims have a first amendment.  After all, they tolerate everyone except the intolerant...those that are Christian, Republican, conservative or otherwise always wrong.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 09:06:33 AM »
The only time race has been brought up during this election, it was brought up by democrats. They're trying to goad someone on the right to say someting that they can use as talking points in their campaign ads.

I detest "The one" because of his policies, not his race. 
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.