Author Topic: Ecomonic Report: State Fair of Texas  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Lord Undies

Ecomonic Report: State Fair of Texas
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:04:57 PM »
I heard a report today that the State Fair of Texas almost matched last year's record-breaking attendance.  The money generated was almost the same.  The food concessions total was near $29 million over the 24 days. 

The media report credited the State Fair officials with the speculation that the attendance was due to people not taking vacations this year, and the addition of 20,000 seats in the Cotton Bowl, used for the Texas-OU game. 

What the media and Fair officials failed to mention was last year's Jonas Brothers "day" (unbelievable numbers!) and the Billy Ray Cyrus "day" when attendance was fueled by the rumor Hannah Montana would be joining her dad.  Both of those days were greater than OU day.

This year had no big celebrities.  The biggest name was Jessica Simpson (who, on a live stage, sounds like a cow giving birth to a breach calf).  Tony Romo was the bigger draw at that concert. 

Tony Romo did wander the Simpson crowd (with guards) to sign autographs.  I witnessed this from a distance (he could have been anyone from my distance).   Jessica Simpson still saw fit to "sing" three more songs.  Ugh.

For summation, my observation was people have money and plenty of it.  They spent it freely.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Ecomonic Report: State Fair of Texas
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 07:08:18 PM »
Here was my State Fair persona this year.  My name was Scooter "call me Scoot for short" Donahue:

Offline Zeus

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 07:14:47 PM »
Here was my State Fair persona this year.  My name was Scooter "call me Scoot for short" Donahue:

Now Undies I realize you are a white boy but you gotta get out in the sun a wee bit more . Put some color in them cheeks ya know  :tongue:

What was the deepfried delicacy of choice this year at the fair ?
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:34:26 PM »

Now Undies I realize you are a white boy but you gotta get out in the sun a wee bit more . Put some color in them cheeks ya know  :tongue:

What was the deepfried delicacy of choice this year at the fair ?

I am in my mid-50's.  I DON'T do "sun".  My neck, face, arms, etc. got quite the sun exposure.  The posted photo doesn't do it justice.

The big "winners" this years was the Fried Banana Split and the Chicken-Fried Bacon.  I tried neither.

My son-in-law had the bacon and liked it.  The banana split, which was the design of a friend of ours, was a hit on the local FOX channel.  Our friends brought a "chef" and prepared some on camera (outdoors) for the Channel 4 FOX morning show the day before the Fair opened.  The FOX reporterette said later she was prepared to find it disgusting, but said she really liked it after the tasting.  She finished hers back at the set. 

Buford the Buzzard, one of my favorite Fair smartasses.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:05:51 PM »
I walked through the local mall the other day looking for a power cable for my laptop, the place was buzzing with people and there was a line at the Apple store with 4 clerks ringing people up at the register and the guy that helped me rang me up where we stood in the aisle and emailed the receipt to me (you don't even have to go to the register if you're paying with CC or in my case a Debit card).

That on top of the fact that I'm an outside sales rep and last month was one of my best ever.

No bad economy to be seen.

nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 08:15:29 PM »
Good to see you made it back from the wilds of the State Fairgrounds!

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 08:36:02 PM »
Good to see you made it back from the wilds of the State Fairgrounds!

Thank you!

My son-in-law's mom from St. Louis came down yesterday.  She is about in the same physical shape as me.  She had rejected the idea of her son getting her a wheelchair for the outting.  When she got into Fair Park, she was overwhelmed and quickly changed her mind.

Mom thought the State Fair would be like the one she is use to:  An open field with some rides and a few tents set up. 

No one who has never been understands the scope of the State Fair of Texas.  It is a World's Fair held every year in a 300 acre park dedicated to its existence.  The 1936 exhibition buildings, the Cotton Bowl, museums, planetarium, aquarium, art deco band shell, the over-100-year-old lagoon, the Midway, the landscaping, and all the additions every year is a lot to take in. 

Here is the African American Museum, the last building to be built, the last of last century:

(my photo)

http://www.aamdallas.org/

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 08:58:49 PM »
I miss the Fair! We used to go every year when I lived in the Metroplex.   

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 09:00:26 PM »
I miss the Fair! We used to go every year when I lived in the Metroplex.   

Where's that?

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 06:03:58 AM »
Where's that?
Take I-30 and hang a left. :-)