Author Topic: Garage Storage Systems  (Read 2144 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Garage Storage Systems
« on: August 27, 2011, 08:19:28 PM »
My husband's birthday is in September, I want to get him a garage storage system (or what ever you call it). Our house won't be finished for at least a month and a half so obviously I wouldn't be able to surprise him with it. Actually, I wouldn't do that anyway because he knows what would work for him more than I would. I want to do research though and find what other people like and why.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows of a great garage storage system. I've been searching for awhile but I thought I would ask for advice. Also what type of floor do you have in your garage that is not that paint on epoxy with the specs in it. We had that in our last garage and it chipped, my husband wasn't too impressed with it. Although it could have been because it wasn't done correctly ( we didn't do it, the previous owner had it done).

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. 

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Garage Storage Systems
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:47:18 PM »
Don't know about storage systems. The last house I had, the garage had in floor heat which was pretty nice during the Minnesota winters. There are some epoxy systems that are just white. We used them in our hangars when I was USN. The bigger thing is to make sure that they're sealed, I think, so that oil, etc doesn't soak in. What we used in the Navy also had some grit mixed into it so it wouldn't be too slippery when wet. Regardless, floor jacks, jack stands and the like will always damage the paint. What I REALLY wanted for my garage was a car lift. Never got that far, though. :(
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 03:51:59 PM »
Don't know about storage systems. The last house I had, the garage had in floor heat which was pretty nice during the Minnesota winters. There are some epoxy systems that are just white. We used them in our hangars when I was USN. The bigger thing is to make sure that they're sealed, I think, so that oil, etc doesn't soak in. What we used in the Navy also had some grit mixed into it so it wouldn't be too slippery when wet. Regardless, floor jacks, jack stands and the like will always damage the paint. What I REALLY wanted for my garage was a car lift. Never got that far, though. :(

One of my neighbors had just installed one when his wife gave him the 'I want to meat other people' lecture and paperwork.  I never got to see it, it went in the moving out sale.  And I probably don't have height for a lift. 

I did use a Baher garage floor paint which I have been less than happy with.  Then too, I have always had a problem with moisture on that side. I have used Thompsons on it with no luck either.  What I would like is the HD ramps they have at U-Haul much nicer than the K-Mart specials.  Of course if I changed out the overhead door....

Storage systems?  Maybe try Sears? 

I just had a new kitchen storage system installed.  Now that was some expensive storage cabinets. :whistling:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »
If i was to go away from the "Mound and Pile" system I presently use for garage storage - I'd look into industrial racking or shelving systems.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
I know you don't like the epoxy floor systems but we have it along with custom storage. We used Premier Garage (They are national and I had heard some bad things about them but it turned out to be more about the local people, not the products. The guys who did ours were FANTASTIC.)

Here are some pics. Keep in mind we have a tiny one car garage. You can really do whatever you want. What I loved is that the day of installation, they came with everything we had them spec out plus a truckload full of misc. accessories and other gadgets. They let us pick whatever we wanted right then and exchange any storage or organizing pieces we didn't like. We only got charged for what stayed when they left. The things on the walls that look like grids can be moved if we decide to down the road. All of the "attachments" on the grids are removable and I have since called them to order a few more pieces I thought we needed.

If we had a double garage, I would have done all cabinets to keep everything behind closed doors.

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 05:55:59 PM »
I wouldn't go with a "storage system" 'cause us guys have all kinds of different tools and stuff. Generic systems just don't hack it.

I build my own shelves for things that fit on shelves. I nail up 2x4s across studs for hooks for things that fit or can be made to fit on hooks. I encourage the DIY route. Everything is tailor made that way, and everything fits.

Leave the floor alone. They get dirty and oily anyway. Just sweep it out now and then, and keep it neat. We've had new houses, but it's only a little while before they have that "lived in" look. They don't stay new forever.

Try a sexy black negligè instead.......BTW, I don't let my wife buy me tools as gifts for any reason, and I don't buy her kitchen appliances.

Whatever you do, good luck.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 06:17:50 PM »
Mound and Pile
:rotf: You too?

I'd be happy with exposed shelves, a secretary hutch for nuts and bolts, and wall space to hang my stuff (wrenches, hammers, gauges) out in the open where I can get to them so they don't clutter up my toolbox when I need to go to the junkyard.  If you really want to make him happy, install a heater in the garage (or the previously-mentioned lift).

I'm marrying the first girl that buys me an engine hoist.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »
:rotf: You too?

I'd be happy with exposed shelves, a secretary hutch for nuts and bolts, and wall space to hang my stuff (wrenches, hammers, gauges) out in the open where I can get to them so they don't clutter up my toolbox when I need to go to the junkyard.  If you really want to make him happy, install a heater in the garage (or the previously-mentioned lift).

I'm marrying the first girl that buys me an engine hoist.

No NO NO.  Rent one.  Ditto the girl.  :rotf: It is far cheaper in the long run and doesn't take up as much of your space. 

But the heater is an excellent point.  I have a friend who installed an old Miller Gun furnace out of a mobile home which I thought was pretty a pretty neat idea. He doesn't use it as a full time heated garage but it is better than having no heat for winter work that has to be done.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 08:45:52 PM »
Heater.

LOL.

I keep the windows, door and roller door open on my garage open all the time I'm in there ; even in "winter".  Thinking about getting two of those 2' workshop fans and screwing them into the wall at just above head height and pointing straight out the roller door.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 08:47:29 PM »
Mound and Pile.  Yep, that is it.  Floor is dirty and greasy, the way it is supposed to be.   :-)  I am getting some racks installed in the ceiling to hold crap, and I saw a deal on some industrial shelves, the kind you would use in a walk-in fridge of a restaurant.  I would really love some of those.  I use jars to hold my odds and ends, and am going to install a pegboard wall with shelves for tools.  

I have a ramp, hydraulic jack and a few oil-catchers.  No lift.  Garage is too small, but that will come when I get a better place.  
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent