Author Topic: MAF Sensor - Buy new or Clean?  (Read 3588 times)

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
MAF Sensor - Buy new or Clean?
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:17:12 PM »
I've lost quite a bit of power when driving and I figured I knew what it was, seeing as the car runs better with the MAF unplugged I think I'm right.

My question is should I bother trying to clean it? Does it work? Or should I just go and buy a new one?

I only ask because I can't find any good answers, some say it rarely works and other say it work almost all the time.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:19:54 PM by compaqxp »

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
Re: MAF Sensor - Buy new or Clean?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »
If the MAF sensor stops working altogether, or falls outside of established calibration limits, (at least in US emissions certified vehicles), you will get a "check engine" light on your instrument panel.  A code describing the sensor's problem will be stored in the engine emissions module, which can be read by a code reader. You can usually have the code read for free at any good chain auto parts store.

Since, as I understand it, you (a) live in Canada, and (b) drive a diesel VW, your emission control system may be different from ours.........particularly if your vehicle has been modified for biodiesel (not thusly equipped from the manufacturer).

I'd be more inclined to suspect another type of fuel  issue if you are not seeing a "check engine" light (such as a clogged fuel filter).  That said, to answer your specific question, if the sensor is bad, replace it.....they aren't that expensive.

doc
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:41:42 PM by TVDOC »

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 01:51:42 PM »
If the MAF sensor stops working altogether, or falls outside of established calibration limits, (at least in US emissions certified vehicles), you will get a "check engine" light on your instrument panel.  A code describing the sensor's problem will be stored in the engine emissions module, which can be read by a code reader. You can usually have the code read for free at any good chain auto parts store.

Since, as I understand it, you (a) live in Canada, and (b) drive a diesel VW, your emission control system may be different from ours.........particularly if your vehicle has been modified for biodiesel (not thusly equipped from the manufacturer).

I'd be more inclined to suspect another type of fuel  issue if you are not seeing a "check engine" light (such as a clogged fuel filter).  That said, to answer your specific question, if the sensor is bad, replace it.....they aren't that expensive.

doc

The check engine light does come on, forgot to say that. I'll take it to the local auto place later and get it read.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »
The check engine light does come on, forgot to say that. I'll take it to the local auto place later and get it read.

Good move.....BTW, unplugging the sensor will give you a "check engine" light, so I assume you were getting the light before you unplugged the sensor...... :-)

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 02:14:30 PM »
There should be a procedure outlined in the service manual for cleaning the MAF sensor.  It may be as simple as spraying it with carb cleaner and letting it air dry.

edit:  I'm seeing some people say to use isoprpyl alchohol as a cleaner.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:32:23 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 05:48:48 PM »
I got it scanned at a local place and the MAF was in fact causing issues. The one I ordered won't be here for a week so I tried cleaning it and the car is now working as good as before.

I also took this opportunity to change the fuel filter, air filter and cabin air filter.

All in all I'm glad it was simple. The most annoying thing about working on this car are those stupid Torx Safety Screws.

Thanks for the help:)

There should be a procedure outlined in the service manual for cleaning the MAF sensor.  It may be as simple as spraying it with carb cleaner and letting it air dry.

edit:  I'm seeing some people say to use isoprpyl alchohol as a cleaner.

I didn't have much to lose so I used a thing electrical contact cleaner, since I had it on hand.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 06:34:29 PM »
I got it scanned at a local place and the MAF was in fact causing issues. The one I ordered won't be here for a week so I tried cleaning it and the car is now working as good as before.

I also took this opportunity to change the fuel filter, air filter and cabin air filter.

All in all I'm glad it was simple. The most annoying thing about working on this car are those stupid Torx Safety Screws.

Thanks for the help:)

I didn't have much to lose so I used a thing electrical contact cleaner, since I had it on hand.

So long as whatever you used to clean it doesn't leave a residue, you will be fine.  I've always had good luck cleaning the Bosch MAF sensors I use.