Author Topic: Potatoes  (Read 2039 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Potatoes
« on: June 04, 2011, 07:57:06 AM »
I just harvested potatoes that I grew from some seed potatoes I picked up.  Is their anyway to use some of those potatoes for seed potatoes?  Or do I have to buy more?  I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 09:45:28 AM »
I thought new potatoes could be grown from the "eyes" on a potato? You know how they sprout little roots when you forget about them?

I remember starting sweet potato vines from a potato with tooth picks stuck into it around the middle and stuck in a mayonnaise or pickle jar. We always did them in elementary school and would have them lined up along the classroom window ledge to see how long it would take to sprout and who's would get the biggest.

As hot as it's been, put a couple into a paper bag, stick in the garage and see how fast they sprout. I keep onions in a bin on a shelf in my garage, and I noticed the other day, that one of them had sprouted. Only bought them a couple of weeks ago. Has to be the heat. :(

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »
I am told that potatoes at the store have been sprayed with an anti-sprouting agent, so they last longer on the shelf before going bad.  I've never really had good luck starting potatoes from the store (they seem to rot before they take), so there may be some truth to that. 

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »
I am told that potatoes at the store have been sprayed with an anti-sprouting agent, so they last longer on the shelf before going bad.  I've never really had good luck starting potatoes from the store (they seem to rot before they take), so there may be some truth to that.  
That is the truth. Your home grown taters must be old enough to have eyes and they will grow. Store them in sand/sawdust/rice or anything thats dry in the basement or someplace cool. You can cut them in as many peices as they have eyes to plant.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"