Author Topic: California wants to control home thermostats  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Kimberly

California wants to control home thermostats
« on: January 12, 2008, 06:19:52 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3136767

seriousstan  (1000+ posts)       Sat Jan-12-08 03:26 PM
Original message
California wants to control home thermostats
 Source: herald tribune

SAN FRANCISCO: The conceit in the 1960s show "The Outer Limits" was that outside forces had taken control of your television set.

Next year in California, state regulators are likely to have the emergency power to control individual thermostats, sending temperatures up or down through a radio-controlled device that will be required in new or substantially modified houses and buildings to manage electricity shortages.

The proposed rules are contained in a document circulated by the California Energy Commission, which for more than three decades has set state energy efficiency standards for home appliances, like water heaters, air conditioners and refrigerators.

The changes would allow utilities to adjust customers' preset temperatures when the price of electricity is soaring. Customers could override the utilities' suggested temperatures. But in emergencies, the utilities could override customers' wishes.

Final approval is expected next month.

Read more: http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/11/america/calif.ph...

Most of the replies were against this, which was surprising since I thought they loved telling people what to do. Anyway, this is the reply that made me

Pavulon (1000+ posts)       Sat Jan-12-08 04:57 PM
Response to Original message
15. To bad it isn't "California Builds...
 3 new 300mw nuclear power stations to adequately supply its population with cheap energy. Westinghouse has the solution to this problem.

Duh! You belong to the party that has thwarted any new nuclear power plants being built since the seventies!

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: California wants to control home thermostats
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 06:38:19 PM »
Funny how they love solutions to energy issues only when they effect someone else.

The responses to Pavs idea...

originalpckelly (1000+ posts)         Sat Jan-12-08 05:01 PM
Response to Reply #15
16. Oh yeah, and what are they going to do with the waste?
   Everyone always talks about nuclear like it is some God send, but no one knows how the hell they're going to deal with the waste!
   Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
Mythsaje  (1000+ posts)         Sat Jan-12-08 05:03 PM
Response to Reply #16
17. Precisely.   
   Come up with some way to deal with the waste that won't come back to haunt us, and I'll support the idea of nuclear power.

I'm still waiting.
CLW  (1000+ posts)        Sat Jan-12-08 05:28 PM
Response to Reply #17
19. When nuclear power plants were first built in the US, my Dad said "Before we rely on this,
   we need to have a safe solution for the waste." He's 94. He's still waiting.
Mythsaje  (1000+ posts)         Sat Jan-12-08 05:34 PM
Response to Reply #19
20. Yup.   
   I don't care if it's nanotechnology, biochemistry, or the simple physical expedience of figuring out a way to launch it into the sun.

But if it's going to stay here the way it is, I vote NO WAY.

Pav responds..
Pavulon (1000+ posts)         Sat Jan-12-08 05:14 PM
Response to Reply #16
18. Bury it in Nevada, Same as the French
   who run over 60% of their grid on nuke power. Bury it.

Companies are moving jobs from california, to the triangle, because power is 1/7 the price.

Nuclear generated power..

Which,as facts always to to DUmmies spouting off over stuff they have no idea about,shuts them up instantly.  :lmao:

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: California wants to control home thermostats
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:12:56 PM »
Well, the primitives seem concerned about nuclear waste, and yes, that's a legitimate concern.

However, I'm not too fond of this idea of "burying it in Nevada."

For some reason, some people, and all the primitives, seem to think there's "nothing" in Nevada.

There's plenty in Nevada, including a very fragile ecosystem that's been battered, and it's time to stop.

Nuclear waste, with its long life-span and lethality, should be disposed of in an area that's already permanently and irretrievably ruined, beyond recovery.

I've always been in favoring of disposing nuclear waste, and conducting nuclear tests, in Vermont.

There's nothing worthwhile in Vermont anyway.
apres moi, le deluge