Author Topic: On a personal note  (Read 806 times)

Offline Workover

• Retired and loving it
On a personal note
« on: February 15, 2021, 11:33:10 AM »
Fifteen degrees and snow and ice in SE Texas. I have had my car frozen in a snow bank in the Texas panhandle, logged a well in Kansas when the temp was -20 and hunted rabbit in Oklahoma when the snow was a foot and a half deep. I have driven the interstate from Texas into Oklahoma between walls of snow taller than a semi and icy west Texas highways when no one else was out there.
Right now the power is out, the gas company is talking about lowering line pressure and my life depends on a natural gas generator.

It’s too damn cold!
If you’re not having fun it’s your own damn fault!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: On a personal note
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 03:25:21 PM »
Either it's really cold here or this guy has an invisible car.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 04:28:01 PM »
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 07:33:30 PM »
I moved from north-central Missouri to the South (first Mississippi and now Arkansas) six years ago because I got tired of shoveling snow. Four feet at a time, at least a couple-three times a season.

Today, the low was 9 deg. F., shattering a 110+ year record. Tomorrow morning, the low is predicted as -2 deg, which will shatter today's record low temps.

Oh, did I mention the snow? Ten inches today, which I shoveled out of the way (grrrrrrrr -  :argh: ), just in time because we're gonna get dumped on again with 10 inches on Wednesday.

WE DIDN'T MOVE FAR ENOUGH SOUTH, DAMMIT!  :mad:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 09:51:15 PM »

Not going to lament too much as I don't think my Midwestern area has been above 0 degrees since sometime last Friday.  We just deal with it as it is something we can't control except complain.

Have only been to California once for the Rose Bowl a decade ago. Turned out it was one of the colder New Year's Eve and Rose Bowl games in history.  The parade route and the long street in Pasadena (Colorado Ave. I think) had temporary space heaters out for people who camped out for the festivities.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 11:51:15 PM »
Not going to lament too much as I don't think my Midwestern area has been above 0 degrees since sometime last Friday.  We just deal with it as it is something we can't control except complain.

Have only been to California once for the Rose Bowl a decade ago. Turned out it was one of the colder New Year's Eve and Rose Bowl games in history.  The parade route and the long street in Pasadena (Colorado Ave. I think) had temporary space heaters out for people who camped out for the festivities.

I grew up in Pasadena and spent many a nights carousing on the parade route on Colorado Blvd.   Space heaters and wood fires in old washing machine drums were common site every year but come new years morning the sun was shining and the So Cal realtors association were loving the free advertisement they got as the parade was broadcast to the entire country,  most of which was dealing with snow and freezing weather.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 04:31:39 PM »
I grew up in Pasadena and spent many a nights carousing on the parade route on Colorado Blvd.   Space heaters and wood fires in old washing machine drums were common site every year but come new years morning the sun was shining and the So Cal realtors association were loving the free advertisement they got as the parade was broadcast to the entire country,  most of which was dealing with snow and freezing weather.

It was my first and only visit, but the locals were constantly bitching about how cold it was in 2011.

Due to some bizarre college football circumstances, my alma mater was playing in the Rose Bowl for the first and only time and was compelled to make the trip.  Which they won, making it all the better.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender