Author Topic: Supreme Court Rejects Domestic Spying Appeal  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Supreme Court Rejects Domestic Spying Appeal
« on: February 19, 2008, 10:22:58 AM »
Court Rejects Domestic Spying Appeal

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court rejected a challenge Tuesday to the Bush administration's domestic spying program.

The justices' decision, issued without comment, is the latest setback to legal efforts to force disclosure of details of the warrantless wiretapping that began after the Sept. 11 attacks.

The American Civil Liberties Union wanted the court to allow a lawsuit by the group and individuals over the wiretapping program. The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals dismissed the suit, saying the plaintiffs could not prove their communications had been monitored.

The government has refused to turn over information about the closely guarded program that could reveal who has been under surveillance.

ACLU legal director Steven R. Shapiro has said his group is in a "Catch-22" because the government says the identities of people whose communications have been intercepted is secret. But only people who know they have been wiretapped can sue over the program, Shapiro has said.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals last year ruled against an Islamic charity that also challenged program, concluding that a key piece of evidence is protected as a state secret.

In that case, the Oregon-based U.S. arm of the Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation alleged the National Security Agency illegally listened to its calls. The charity had wanted to introduce as evidence a top-secret call log it received mistakenly from the Treasury Department.

A separate lawsuit against telecommunications companies that have cooperated with the government is pending in the San Francisco-based appeals court. A U.S. district court also is examining whether the warrantless surveillance of people in the United States violates the law that regulates the wiretapping of suspected terrorists and requires the approval of a secret court.

Story

now if the house would only do it's job.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Court rejects ACLU challenge to wiretaps
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 10:26:33 AM »

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court rejected a challenge Tuesday to the Bush administration's domestic spying program.
The justices' decision, issued without comment, is the latest setback to legal efforts to force disclosure of details of the warrantless wiretapping that began after the Sept. 11 attacks.

The American Civil Liberties Union wanted the court to allow a lawsuit by the group and individuals over the wiretapping program. The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals dismissed the suit, saying the plaintiffs could not prove their communications had been monitored.

The government has refused to turn over information about the closely guarded program that could reveal who has been under surveillance.

ACLU legal director Steven R. Shapiro has said his group is in a "Catch-22" because the government says the identities of people whose communications have been intercepted is secret. But only people who know they have been wiretapped can sue over the program, Shapiro has said.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals last year ruled against an Islamic charity that also challenged program, concluding that a key piece of evidence is protected as a state secret.

In that case, the Oregon-based U.S. arm of the Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation alleged the National Security Agency illegally listened to its calls. The charity had wanted to introduce as evidence a top- secret call log it received mistakenly from the Treasury Department.

A separate lawsuit against telecommunications companies that have cooperated with the government is pending in the San Francisco-based appeals court. A U.S. district court also is examining whether the warrantless surveillance of people in the United States violates the law that regulates the wiretapping of suspected terrorists and requires the approval of a secret court.

The case is ACLU v. NSA, 07-468.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UTFISG1&show_article=1&catnum=0

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
Re: Supreme Court Rejects Domestic Spying Appeal
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:31:20 AM »
In that case, the Oregon-based U.S. arm of the Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation alleged the National Security Agency illegally listened to its calls. The charity had wanted to introduce as evidence a top-secret call log it received mistakenly from the Treasury Department.

Hmmm.... an "Islamic charity" eh? Oh, with such charitable actions in Kenya and Bali... I'm sure they will be given the respect they deserve in the case.  :sarcasm:

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Court rejects ACLU challenge to wiretaps
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 10:32:59 AM »
dup, but I think I like this thread better in BN where you put it.  I will merge them into this one.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 10:34:19 AM »
thx! i didn't see yours....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 12:12:58 PM »
Hahahahaha. All Your lawsuits belong to us.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 12:39:31 PM »

Translation:  We have absolutely no idea what we are so angry about....

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 12:58:43 PM »
Damn, and here I was hoping the NSA could tap in and find out Aunt Mary's secret Red Velvet Cake recipe....
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 01:21:52 PM »
Don't stay home this November, Republicans, we need the courts!
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 02:29:22 PM »
Damn, and here I was hoping the NSA could tap in and find out Aunt Mary's secret Red Velvet Cake recipe....
The VRWC can help you with that...for a small donation, of course.   :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »

That's true, Splash, and not just to replace those two moonbats on SCOTUS that are waiting to retire - there's all those appellate and lower courts that are significant, too.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 07:39:06 PM »

That's true, Splash, and not just to replace those two moonbats on SCOTUS that are waiting to retire - there's all those appellate and lower courts that are significant, too.

I don't like him but I will vote for him because Hillary or Obama would ruin this country.