Author Topic: How in the hell can CHURCHES be voting sites???  (Read 8434 times)

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: How in the hell can CHURCHES be voting sites???
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 07:35:19 PM »

The KGB drives LTDs?  I always thought they drive them little ugly russian cars.

Keep that on the DL, or we'll have to CYA ASAP , and then we're just SOL, unless we're listening to ELO or the Bee Gees.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 08:05:50 PM »
The DUmmies get upset that the churches are used as voting sites...but have no problem when a Democrat slithers up to the pulpit doruing an election and basically gives a stump speech to the congregation. :whatever:
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline vftb

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 08:55:50 PM »
I've lived in this house for 20 years and have always voted in the church about a mile from here.  I wear a garlic garland  :-) :-)

I have never frequented DU and only get what I get here or what I picked up on CU; sometimes I think you guys make this shit up; right??   :rotf: :rotf:
To err is human, to really **** things up you need a computer

Offline Lauri

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 10:09:22 PM »
I've lived in this house for 20 years and have always voted in the church about a mile from here.  I wear a garlic garland  :-) :-)

I have never frequented DU and only get what I get here or what I picked up on CU; sometimes I think you guys make this shit up; right??   :rotf: :rotf:

ive got a decent imagination... but i dont think i could come up with even a tiny fraction of what they say day in and day out on my own... its just not possible.  :popcorn:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 10:27:23 PM »
I just learned something.

but it still raises my spearation of church and state hackles

I didn't know that libs had different varieties of "hackles".   :rotf:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 10:31:39 PM »
KzooDem  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Jan-15-08 11:10 AM
Original message
How in the hell can CHURCHES be voting sites???

I was just listening to MSNBC in the background a few minutes ago and they were reporting on the fiasco that is the Michigan primary. Some talking head was talking about the mood of primary voters at a church that is a polling station.

Every voting site I have ever been to have been municipal buildings or schools. Are churches regularly used as voting sites and I'm just clueless? I know that the separation between state and church has been terribly eroded, especially within the past 7 years. But using churches as voting sites is beyond the pale as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2687405

well, in my 11 years in the Seattle area, I've voted mostly in the Lutheran church down the street. When we moved to a different town, we now vote in the elementary school. But, for 99 percent of the time I've been here.. its been in a church.

i hope that makes kookoo even more nuts than he/she already is.  :popcorn:

oh, and the thread is HUGE..

I say why not? A church can be a good venue for a polling place. Enough room to get folks in and out and like any polling place they have to follow election laws so the church can not influence which lever people pull.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 10:44:10 PM »
Heh,  I used to vote in churches all the time.  Everytime I walked up there to pull the lever for the (D) candidate the church made me vote for the (R) candidate so I finally gave up and just joined y'all morans.   :-)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 10:46:49 PM »
Heh,  I used to vote in churches all the time.  Everytime I walked up there to pull the lever for the (D) candidate the church made me vote for the (R) candidate so I finally gave up and just joined y'all morans.   :-)

KC

Same thing here.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 10:48:19 PM »

KC

Damn churches.  They have done more to destroy the voting process than Dibold will ever do.   :-)   The two of them together ..... well, they are UNSTOPABLE!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 10:51:36 PM »

KC

Damn churches.  They have done more to destroy the voting process than Dibold will ever do.   :-)   The two of them together ..... well, they are UNSTOPABLE!

KC

Well what got me was when the Southern Baptists flew a couple of planes into skyscrapers and when the Methodists beheaded my neighbor for not converting. So from now on when the fundies say "jump" I say "how high?".

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 12:23:34 PM »
eppur_se_muova  Tue Jan-15-08 11:32 AM
Response to Original message
37. They are big, EMPTY buildings which sit UNUSED six days a week.

All the energy to heat and cool them is generating greenhouse gases for Jeebuz.

Idiot DUmbass. Churches have other things going on every day. I know that and I'm not a churchgoer.

Yeah, but you're not a DUmmy, so...

Offline Zeus

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
KzooDem  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Jan-15-08 11:10 AM
Original message
How in the hell can CHURCHES be voting sites???

I was just listening to MSNBC in the background a few minutes ago and they were reporting on the fiasco that is the Michigan primary. Some talking head was talking about the mood of primary voters at a church that is a polling station.

Every voting site I have ever been to have been municipal buildings or schools. Are churches regularly used as voting sites and I'm just clueless? I know that the separation between state and church has been terribly eroded, especially within the past 7 years. But using churches as voting sites is beyond the pale as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2687405

well, in my 11 years in the Seattle area, I've voted mostly in the Lutheran church down the street. When we moved to a different town, we now vote in the elementary school. But, for 99 percent of the time I've been here.. its been in a church.

i hope that makes kookoo even more nuts than he/she already is.  :popcorn:

oh, and the thread is HUGE..

Must be some kind of conspiracy. Since moving here in '91 my polling place has been at a Baptist church building  :hyper:
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 12:47:48 PM »
Teh DUmmies are just afraid they'll burst into flames when they enter a church for the first time.   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »
Teh DUmmies are just afraid they'll burst into flames when they enter a church for the first time.   :whatever:

much more likely that the roof would fall in.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 03:42:58 PM »
eppur_se_muova  Tue Jan-15-08 11:32 AM
Response to Original message
37. They are big, EMPTY buildings which sit UNUSED six days a week.

All the energy to heat and cool them is generating greenhouse gases for Jeebuz.

Idiot DUmbass. Churches have other things going on every day. I know that and I'm not a churchgoer.

Yeah, but you're not a DUmmy, so...

Hey Jinx!  Welcome! 

KC

*Stolen

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »
I'm shocked (well, not really, but still) that voting in a church would make somebody think about the separation between church and state.  Do they think that entering a church building somehow forces religious beliefs on a person?  :rotf:  How can anybody be remotely disturbed by the idea of voting in a church? 

Offline Lauri

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2008, 09:21:03 PM »

i was going to bring over a post where one of them wrote "Im suprised the Republicans dont burst into flame when walking on Hallowed Ground" .. *sigh*

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2008, 09:48:11 PM »

I was going to say the SAME thing, but since I saw that this thread was 3 pages long, I decided to read the posts first  :-)

The DUmmies just hate it that they just might have to set foot in a church.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama