Interests > Living Off of the Grid & Survivalism

Has anyone used a personal water purifier in Real World ?

(1/1)

J P Sousa:
I have read any number of water purifier products and while many claims are made, the only real world user of a sawyer water filter which claims to remove "The MINI removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium".

The user and his friend became ill anyway.

Yes, boiling is best but is there another way ?

The SteriPen makes claims but again, does it really work ?

catsmtrods:
I have used the Katadyn Pocket model on many week long wilderness trips thru Canada to Alaska, so much so I wore it out. A little much at about $250 these days? I now have MSR waterworks minis in the bug out bags. I have used them but never to the extent of the Katadyn.

J P Sousa:

--- Quote from: catsmtrods on January 17, 2017, 04:41:22 AM ---I have used the Katadyn Pocket model on many week long wilderness trips thru Canada to Alaska, so much so I wore it out. A little much at about $250 these days? I now have MSR waterworks minis in the bug out bags. I have used them but never to the extent of the Katadyn.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. I'm guessing you don't have to worry too much about water in Canada and Alaska ?

I was looking at this new type filter / purifier, "MUV adaptable water filter" by Renovo Water. 
It sounds good but I have never used a "filter / purifier", one of those "too good to be true" things.

Searched around and read differing opinions but very little actual users of any of the filter/purifiers in real world conditions.

catsmtrods:

--- Quote from: J P Sousa on January 17, 2017, 04:19:44 PM ---Thanks. I'm guessing you don't have to worry too much about water in Canada and Alaska ?

I was looking at this new type filter / purifier, "MUV adaptable water filter" by Renovo Water. 
It sounds good but I have never used a "filter / purifier", one of those "too good to be true" things.

Searched around and read differing opinions but very little actual users of any of the filter/purifiers in real world conditions.

--- End quote ---

Actually Alaska is the worst water conditions as almost all the rivers and streams start as glaciers. The outfitter I used recommended the katadyn. I went on a week long wilderness trip on a glacier river and only took water from the river. Also all my trips into Canada were on lakes. No worries with the Katadyn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version