Author Topic: The Dog Whisperer  (Read 405 times)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
The Dog Whisperer
« on: May 19, 2010, 11:34:47 PM »
I have a huge crush on Cesar Millan.  Now, when I first saw him, I noticed he wasn't cute...AT ALL....but I started TIVO'ing his show and something so sexy about his CALM, SUBMISSIVE state, that I just want to jump his bones.

But anyway, anyone think his advice is sound??

And to those who watch the show..I found out Daddy died back in February... :(

Offline Alpha Mare

Re: The Dog Whisperer
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 12:13:51 AM »
Nope, can't stand him. He's dangerous. He's much to aggressive, causing too much stress on the dog, forcing them to shut down. He doesn't 'change' behavior, he suppresses it. There are other methods that are much better, based on rewards not punishment.  A solid trustworthy foundation takes time.

Try "It's Me or the Dog" instead.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 01:19:39 AM »
Nope, can't stand him. He's dangerous. He's much to aggressive, causing too much stress on the dog, forcing them to shut down. He doesn't 'change' behavior, he suppresses it. There are other methods that are much better, based on rewards not punishment.  A solid trustworthy foundation takes time.

Try "It's Me or the Dog" instead.

I like that show too.  Ceasar works miracles though on the most aggressive type behavior.  His methods do work.  He doesn't harm the dogs, he just teaches them to be submissive to humans.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 04:27:30 AM »
No, he suppresses them. Big difference. He 'floods' the dog with whatever it fears most, until the dog shuts down-like a baby with too much stimuli (he calls it 'calm submission.')  Punishment training isn't productive with anxious or aggressive dogs.
 Turn the sound off and watch the way he handles the dog, and especially watch the dog's reactions.
I've spent a lifetime rehabbing problem dogs and horses, undoing this kind of training. Sadly,sometimes it can't be undone.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:38:53 AM »
Um...  "Jump his bones?"