Author Topic: The Dummies on Mexico  (Read 666 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

The Dummies on Mexico
« on: July 04, 2010, 07:04:03 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8685422

autorank  (1000+ posts)        Sat Jul-03-10 10:36 PM
Original message
Mexico's July 4th Electoins - Has the Narco State Arrived? 
 (HAPPY 4TH!!!!!)

Mexico's July 4 Election - Has the Narco State Arrived?

article-   http://dailycensored.com/2010/07/03/mexicos-july-4-election-has-the-narco-state-arrived/

amborin  (1000+ posts)      Sat Jul-03-10 10:55 PM
Response to Original message
1. alarmist & hyperbolic; most areas of Mexico are completely safe! it's not innocuous, either, b/c 
Mexico heavily depends on tourism $$$ and this could eventually become a self-fulfilling prophecy;

Pay attention dumbass- Mexico's tourism $$$$ are history. Even the businesses have stopped investingand are preparing to leave.

truedelphi  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jul-04-10 08:31 AM
Response to Original message
3. K & R. However, I think some of us here at DU would dispute the notion that this is
 Edited on Sun Jul-04-10 08:31 AM by truedelphi
An internal problem to correct, or that it is up to Mexico to make the corrections.

Instead there should be a citizens' call for all nations in this hemisphere (or "HEMPISPHERE"?) to legalize drugs, and the corruption will stop overnight.

But the long reaches of the tentacles of the drug cartels' money, as it is laundered by so many American banks, means that far too many of the "top people" in our country cannot afford to make drugs legal. The corruption is wide spread, and exists from the level of "discretionary funding" offered to County Supervisors from funds whose source is the seized assets to direct payoffs, and also even the purchase of entire banks here in El Norte by "cleaned up" members of the Mexican drug cartels.

Legalization brings a whole 'nuther set of problems, not solutions. Seized assets are peanuts. The cartels bank mostly in Latin America and overseas, precisely because of asset seizure(they don't make Pablo-esque profits). American banks get a comparitively small share.  The Mexican banks get the Merida money- nearly $2B so far.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: The Dummies on Mexico
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »
Oh geez! Not another "let's legalize drugs" thread! If memory serves me, Amsterdam is more than likely the best example on why not to do so. They have a real problem with addicts!

You think the homeless population is a problem now? Wait until the crack addicts can get drugs at 7/11! You think they're goin' to buy them just cause they're legal, DUmbass? Not unless we start defining "buying" to mean by gunpoint!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:10:14 PM »
Oh geez! Not another "let's legalize drugs" thread! If memory serves me, Amsterdam is more than likely the best example on why not to do so. They have a real problem with addicts!

You think the homeless population is a problem now? Wait until the crack addicts can get drugs at 7/11! You think they're goin' to buy them just cause they're legal, DUmbass? Not unless we start defining "buying" to mean by gunpoint!

Actually Amsterdam is clamping down on drug use.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:19:18 PM »
Actually Amsterdam is clamping down on drug use.

Hmmmmmmmmm........wonder why? I thought if we legalized the crap, all the problems would go away.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm........wonder why? I thought if we legalized the crap, all the problems would go away.

I read an article a few years ago that the Dutch people were getting fed-up with the tourists coming just to buy drugs, also it was mentioned that the parks had become filthy because of people using drugs ending up in the parks and littering etc. Also recently they were doing more to crackdown, they were talking about passing a law that states you can only use a credit or debit card that was an official Dutch issued card to keep the tourists from buying drugs.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats