Author Topic: We left a store because the checkout line was too long... and am glad  (Read 714 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member question everything (36,876 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212813552

We left a store because the checkout line was too long... and am glad
The store was Barnes and Nobles. We went there to get a wall calendar and decided not to wait. There were still 9 days to 2020.

But I was glad to see many in a "brick and mortar" store, purchasing "brick and mortal" books. I admit, we rarely purchase books these days. Spouse uses the Kindle with the preferred font size, and i get mine - print and e-books - from the library. Last year we had to change the carpet in the living room, where there are four bookcases full of books and we donated many..

And to think that Amazon started as a book site.

worst bouncy ever...

Leghorn21 (9,422 posts)

2. Yes, this is delightful news, q, thanks much for posting!!

“Actual people in an actual book store” is a beautiful vision indeed!!

but... they didn't actually use it, did they?

Star Member MineralMan (126,254 posts)

4. The trouble is that the same store will be mostly empty except

for this time of year. That's why so many of the B&N stores have closed. Christmas just isn't enough.

aren't the leftists boycotting B&N?

of course they are:

I’m officially boycotting Barnes & Noble and will never step foot in one again. And, yes, here’s why.

Friday night, my fiancé and I went to the Mall of America and stopped inside that Barnes & Noble to look for a book that she and I both wanted to read. We discussed buying it online, but then decided we needed it even quicker than her Amazon Prime shipping would get it to us, so we went out on a hunt. They didn’t have the book there, no big deal. We browsed around for a bit and let The Boy do his rifling through the Manga section. Did you know the Mall of American’s GLBT section is approximately two shelves? They have it sandwiched right between the True Crime and New History sections, underneath a bunch of copies of Barack Obama’s book about his dad.

Saturday afternoon, the three of us were out running typical weekend shopping errands and decided since we were in the vicinity of another Barnes & Noble, this time in Maple Grove, we’d stop in. We actually checked online before coming in to the store and the book we were looking for was in stock according to the website. We headed over the section where we thought the book would be and it wasn’t there. Because we really wanted the book, my fiancé (who normally doesn’t go out of her way to ask for anything in a store like this) walked up to the customer service desk where there were six people standing around doing nothing and asked if they had it. The person that helped her verified that they did have one in stock and came over to look in the shelves we were just looking in. It wasn’t there.

She went back to the desk, looked something up and headed back over. Only this time, another employee was following her a few feet behind her. She came over, looked on the shelf again, while her co-worker creeped on the other side of the shelf we were looking at trying to catch a peak at us, clearly amused by the book that we were requesting. The book hadn’t magically appeared, so she said someone had picked up and laid it somewhere else and they had no way to find it. Then as they reconvened with their other retail corporate drones, they whispered and all got a good chuckle on our behalf.

Roughly 20 minutes later, we were standing probably 50 feet from the customer service desk where the snooty lady that had helped us before and two other people were gathered around an iPad or a Nook or something along those lines where they were watching the Honey Badger video. How do I know it was the Honey Badger video? Because the volume was loud enough for me to hear, “Honey Badger don’t give a shit” while standing next to the children’s section. And they kept watching it like there was nothing wrong with that.

I’ll eventually put together a strongly worded email and send it off to them, but for now, all I have is this strongly worded blog post and the fury of a thousand suns to go on.

TL;DL: Suck it, Barnes & Noble. The only time I’ll stop in your stores again is I have to go to the bathroom. And then I might not flush.

:yawn:

Bob Loblaw (1,758 posts)

5. My trip to B & N last week included being asked if I needed help six seperate times. I refrained from saying, "No dammit, if I need help I'll find someone. I just want to enjoy a bookstore."

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: We left a store because the checkout line was too long... and am glad
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 02:38:25 PM »
But I was glad to see many in a "brick and mortar" store, purchasing "brick and mortal" books. I admit, we rarely purchase books these days. Spouse uses the Kindle with the preferred font size, and i get mine - print and e-books - from the library.

that sentence is one big study in hypocrisy.  On one hand the DUmmy is glad to see that people are in a brick and mortar store buying books (but couldn't be bother to wait in line and patronize the real store) , but then goes onto say the spouse uses Kindle (Amazon e-store) and the DUmmy gets his reading material from the library. 

So my 2 take aways from this "story" are:

1. The DUmmy wants to see brick and mortar stores thrive, just not with his support

2. That Barnes and Noble still has any brick and mortar stores left open

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 02:43:19 PM »
worst bouncy ever...

but... they didn't actually use it, did they?

aren't the leftists boycotting B&N?

of course they are:

:yawn:

:whatever:
How many books do you need in the GBLT section.  I'd think you could just have one of those thick cardboard page books that they make for children.  first page would be titled "Wrong hole"  and page two would be entitled "Right hole".  maybe a good illustrator good try and make it "R" rated.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 03:12:34 PM by YupItsMe »

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 03:06:09 PM »
I thought the economy was terrible under President Trump.  Yet B&N is packed.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 03:52:04 PM »
Did you know the Mall of American’s GLBT section is approximately two shelves?

Wow, what a  waste of space! :thatsright: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 06:57:26 PM »
Wow, what a  waste of space! :thatsright: :loser:
Mental health section most likely covers similar subjects....and is more useful
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)