Author Topic: Hard rock band Kiss sells brand and songs for $300m  (Read 1469 times)

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Hard rock band Kiss sells brand and songs for $300m
« on: April 05, 2024, 11:50:51 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68735699

The hard rock band Kiss has sold its back catalogue of songs to a Swedish music investor for a figure thought to be upwards of $300m (£237m).

Stockholm-based Pophouse Entertainment also bought the group's brand, likeness and intellectual property.

The sale marks the band's retirement from live performances on their End of the Road World Tour.

I mean, Gene especially has always been about the money, but this idea (which other musicians have done) still rubs me the wrong way. especially stuff like this

Mr Simmons, who sang and played bass for the band, along with his co-founder and co-lead singer Paul Stanley, will continue to be closely involved with the ongoing development of the brand and AI-generated material that leans into the band's library of work.

They did big computer generated "avatars", and I've heard interviews with Gene and Paul saying Kiss could theoretically go on after they are gone, but any AI generated music just disturbs me.  I mean so much current music is already by the numbers, it might be very difficult to tell the difference.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Re: Hard rock band Kiss sells brand and songs for $300m
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 10:51:05 PM »
The utter Hanna-Barbera ization of the band is now complete.

Offline enslaved1

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 08:49:24 AM »
The utter Hanna-Barbera ization of the band is now complete.

Nope, apparently that was back in 2015.   :rotf:
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 06:45:21 PM »
It might sound like KISS and look like KISS but this will never be KISS. Sorry but that is the truth.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 08:04:19 AM »
I wonder how they distribute money who Ace and Peter who have writing credits and ownership to many of the songs on their first 8 albums?
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline enslaved1

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024, 12:47:43 PM »
It might sound like KISS and look like KISS but this will never be KISS. Sorry but that is the truth.

I agree.  It's definitely a microcosm of what's going to happen to the big industry side of the music industry.  Imagine in 50 years the Taylor Swift AI albums and hologram concerts.   :killemall:

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2024, 05:44:03 PM »
I agree.  It's definitely a microcosm of what's going to happen to the big industry side of the music industry.  Imagine in 50 years the Taylor Swift AI albums and hologram concerts.   :killemall:

:puke:

You had to go there...

:puke:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2024, 08:50:55 PM »

That is so uncool and creepy.  :o :mad:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du