Author Topic: WTF?!?! Man guilty of running over baby ducks in Somers Point  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Police, fire and courts: Man guilty of running over baby ducks in Somers Point
Published: Thursday, October 30, 2008

An Egg Harbor Township man was found guilty Tuesday of deliberately running over baby ducks in a Somers Point parking lot, according to Somers Point court administrator Margaret Wismer.

Steven Davey, 20, pleaded guilty to the charge of needlessly killing an animal and was fined $1,033, Wismer said. The court suspended $250 of the fine on the condition that he perform 30 days of community service at the Atlantic County Animal Shelter in Pleasantville.

Nancy Beall, president of the Atlantic County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said that Davey "never tried to deny it. He never said he didn't see them."

As to an explanation for the August incident, when Davey drove around the other cars that stopped for the ducks in the Acme parking lot and ran two of them over, Beall could only speculate. "I think," she said of the ducks, "they were just in his way."

LINK

A $1000 fine means that the court CONSIDERED THIS A FELONY, i.e. a crime punishable by at least a $1000 fine and/or a year in jail.  WTF?!?! 

I shoot ducks just like that, when they get a little bigger.  I don't need to shoot them (I can  buy meat at a supermarket just like anyone else), but I want to.  Does that make me guilty of "needlessly killing an animal" as well?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: WTF?!?! Man guilty of running over baby ducks in Somers Point
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:50:54 PM »
Not only should they have fined him, they should have yanked his out of the car and given him a good ole fashioned Rodney King ass-whoopin'.

Sorry man, it's one thing to harvest a duck for food, but to kill something like this for fun, or that were just in your precious way? I'll never support. What if it had been someone's dog?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:52:01 PM »
Not only should they have fined him, they should have yanked his out of the car and given him a good ole fashioned Rodney King ass-whoopin'.

Sorry man, it's one thing to harvest a duck for food, but to kill something like this for fun, or that were just in your precious way? I'll never support. What if it had been someone's dog?

I don't disagree that what he did was wrong.

I do question whether it rose to the level of a felony.

And as to the question "what if it had been a dog"?  Well, if it had been a dog, the crime would have been greater, because he would have been destroying someone's property, something a person had put considerable investment in.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 12:54:11 PM by DefiantSix »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:54:16 PM »

Maybe not a felony. Misdemeanor and the Rodney King ass-whoopin' would suffice. I'm not a PETA-head, by ANY means, but I can't stand to see cruelty to animals. As a fisherman and former hunter (See Ron White), I realize the hypocrisy, but I do see degrees in the circumstances.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 02:08:22 PM »
He was probably talking on his cell phone, texting someone or some other form of distracted driving. A few years ago, our dog was run over by a kid speeding down the road. He also appeared to be under the influence of something, but the cops didn't even pay attention to him. IMO, that kid COULD have avoided killing our family pet, but I'm sure he was just driving along with his girlfriend and being otherwise distracted.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 02:15:02 PM »

A $1000 fine means that the court CONSIDERED THIS A FELONY, i.e. a crime punishable by at least a $1000 fine and/or a year in jail.  WTF?!?! 

I shoot ducks just like that, when they get a little bigger.  I don't need to shoot them (I can  buy meat at a supermarket just like anyone else), but I want to.  Does that make me guilty of "needlessly killing an animal" as well?

When they are old, they are food. When they are babies, they are cute.

Not all laws are rational.

Offline lastparker

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 02:30:38 PM »
I see Rebel, and I raise him one:  if I had my way, the guy would be run over.  Then shot.  I CANNOT abide the torture and killing of animals for the sick fun of it.

And if I could, I'd kill this guy myself:

Mathews Co. man accused of torturing miniature horse

05:40 PM EDT on Monday, October 27, 2008

Reported by: Velma Scaife
MIDDLESEX CO  -- A Mathews Co. man is accused of torturing a horse.

Investigators say Christoper Bristow stole the 50-pound miniature horse from Little Wonder Horse Farm in Topping.

<picture of the fat bastard>
 Christopher Bristow

Sheriff’s deputies parked at a convenience store say Bristow was driving a 4-wheel ATV on Route 33 with an animal in his arms.

They thought it was a dog, but it turned out to be the horse, which had leg and head injuries.

Authorities believe the horse was dragged until it couldn’t stand up.

Jackie Crockett Hooks, who owns the farm, says the horse, named Ruler, has infected joints. He gets two shots a day, is on pain medicine and has to have his bandages changed daily. 

She says Ruler will recover but his show days are over.

Video: Police say man dragged miniature horse from ATV
 Larger screen E-mail this clip

Ruler’s father is a 16-time national champion. 

Bristow is charged with dui, driving an ATV on the highway and stealing an animal.

Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »
When they are old, they are food. When they are babies, they are cute.

Not all laws are rational.

Ya, you ought to see how pissed people get when I get kittens..............

:tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 02:39:18 PM »
Maybe not a felony. Misdemeanor and the Rodney King ass-whoopin' would suffice. I'm not a PETA-head, by ANY means, but I can't stand to see cruelty to animals. As a fisherman and former hunter (See Ron White), I realize the hypocrisy, but I do see degrees in the circumstances.
What? You like to cover yourself in deer piss too huh?
We all have our little quirks I guess and one of mine being that I love everything Ron White does!  :evillaugh: :-)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:08:06 PM by PatriotGame »
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 02:57:32 PM »
One of our parks has a small duck pond and there are hefty fines for harassing the ducks and even bigger fines for killing them.  The laws also include the resident geese and swans.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 03:05:03 PM »
One of our parks has a small duck pond and there are hefty fines for harassing the ducks and even bigger fines for killing them.  The laws also include the resident geese and swans.

It is about damn time -- those swans and geese have been harassing the ducks for way too long.  Good to see them brought under control.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 03:06:37 PM »
It is about damn time -- those swans and geese have been harassing the ducks for way too long.  Good to see them brought under control.

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 04:58:13 PM »

We have a seperate early season for killing those damn mean ass black and white pieces of shits.

As for Tundra swan.....................I have permit on hand and do intend on killing on of those dumbass birds.

I also just paid my $15 dollars to the federal gubmit to kill as many ducks I can within the law.

What that dumbass did was stupid and uncalled for....however it shouldn't be a felony
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 08:16:42 PM »
We spend MILLIONS and MILLIONS providing habatat for migtratory waterfoul so they can grow up and provide  recreational hunting. SO THIS JERK runs them down BEFORE THEY get big enough to legally harvest? He was treated too leniantly, should get the FINE and JAIL. Plus confiscate that damned car. :o

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 08:38:24 PM »

And as to the question "what if it had been a dog"?  Well, if it had been a dog, the crime would have been greater, because he would have been destroying someone's property, something a person had put considerable investment in.

If this guy will do that to an animal think what he could do to a human. there's a link there.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 08:45:09 PM »

I totally agree with you. I would love to administer the punishment.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.