Author Topic: Reid To Renew Oil Shale Ban  (Read 2399 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Reid To Renew Oil Shale Ban
« on: September 25, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
We've just been alerted that despite House Democrats relenting on extending bans on offshore drilling and oil shale in the continuing resolution (CR) appropriations bill, Democrat Senate Leader Harry Reid has decided to sneak an extension of the oil shale ban through as Congress fights over the financial bailout. Oil shale in America's West is estimated to hold be between 800 billion and 2 trillion barrels of oil -- that is more than three times the proven oil reserves in Saudi Arabia alone.

Here is the text of Reid's proposed new ban on oil shale, that he is trying to add as an amendment to the CR or move seperately as a "stimulus" package, or we should say an anti-stimulus package if this is included.

Sec 1602 continues ban on oil shale. The language follows:

SEC. 1602. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, including section 152 of division A of H.R. 2638 (110th Congress), the Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009, the terms and conditions contained in section 433 of division F of Public Law 110–161 shall remain in effect for the 19 fiscal year ending September 30, 2009.

http://demint.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=JimsJournal.Detail&Blog_ID=9a2397c9-e8a5-2da3-c8a3-2cd5fe8fa96b

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: Reid To Renew Oil Shale Ban
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 11:15:56 AM »
So they'll do their best to get their Democrat Party contributors out of trouble on Wall Street...but they won't do anything to help the people filling their car with gas on Main Street.

:whatever:

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 11:18:04 AM »
When's the last time ol Dirty Harry actually paid for a tank of gas?  :banghead:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 11:19:41 AM »
When's the last time ol Dirty Harry actually paid for a tank of gas?  :banghead:

With your money or his?

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 11:22:52 AM »

then we will have a budget crisis at the end of the fiscal year to go along with our financial crisis.  the republicans aren't playing around about drilling.  if this doesn't change (and i assume it will, since it's spineless harry reid that we are talking about), look for a government shutdown in october.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 11:28:15 AM »
(Like I expect him to listen...)

Message out to Senator Salazar (D-CO).

..."If you vote with Sen. Reid to continue to ban exploitation of oil shale, I will make it my mission in life to see that you are defeated in your 2010 re-election bid."

:hammer: :banghead:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 11:30:39 AM »

then we will have a budget crisis at the end of the fiscal year to go along with our financial crisis.  the republicans aren't playing around about drilling.  if this doesn't change (and i assume it will, since it's spineless harry reid that we are talking about), look for a government shutdown in october.

And thanks to the media spin it will all get blamed on the Republicans.  All because they didn't listen to ManBearPig and the rest of the eco alarmists and "go green".

:rolleyes:   :banghead:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 11:44:29 AM »

And thanks to the media spin it will all get blamed on the Republicans.  All because they didn't listen to ManBearPig and the rest of the eco alarmists and "go green".

:rolleyes:   :banghead:

I dunno . . . the republicans were bleeding the congressional leadership on drilling pretty well during the last recess.  so much so that nancy and harry caved in on the moratorium on offshore drilling.  I suspect that weasel harry hopes that this underhanded move gets lost in the static of the financial rescue bill.  myself, I think it just resurrects an issue that works for republicans in the general election.  if he caves in on shale, and I suspect that he will, then he is the coward that I think he is.  if he doesn't, we get to change the subject to our advantage as soon as the "great depression" gets dealt with.

either way, this isn't going to go well for harry.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 11:54:42 AM »
Did Harry F@ckhead Reid forget he is representing the will of people and not his own agenda? :censored:

My GOD...this better influence enough people to get out there and vote mid-term election and get a republican congress back in the house AND senate.  These dirtbags are out of control.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 12:19:03 PM »
Did Harry F@ckhead Reid forget he is representing the will of people and not his own agenda? :censored:

My GOD...this better influence enough people to get out there and vote mid-term election and get a republican congress back in the house AND senate.  These dirtbags are out of control.

I think he's also totally screwing his own constituents.  aren't there sizable oil shale deposits in nevada?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 12:25:01 PM »

I think he's also totally screwing his own constituents.  aren't there sizable oil shale deposits in nevada?

If I remember right, only the periphery of that field extend into Nevada.  The majority of it is in Utah, Colorado and Wyoming.  Hence the reason I gave Senator Salazar his warning.  Shell Oil is about 9 months away from being ready to draw oil from the shale beds under their Rifle, CO site at a commercial scale.

Now if only we had the refining capacity in this country to handle the influx of new oil...

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 01:35:50 PM »

the house passed it's version of the CBR, but who knows what's in it?

Fate of Stopgap Spending Measure Now Lies in Senate’s Hands

The Senate appears on track to clear before the end of the week a stopgap spending measure to ensure the government will continue to function once the new fiscal year begins Oct. 1.

The House Wednesday gave its stamp of approval to the comprehensive spending measure, which funds most government programs at fiscal 2008 levels until March 6. Exceptions include fiscal 2009 funding for military construction and the departments of Defense, Homeland Security and Veterans Affairs, which received considerable increases over fiscal 2008 levels. If the measure is enacted, it would make a lame-duck session unlikely.

The fiscal 2008 Homeland Security bill (HR 2638) was the vehicle for the funding package, which also included $22.9 billion for disaster relief.

Despite grumbling from Republican lawmakers about how Democrats assembled the package, it was approved easily, 370-58. John Campbell , R-Calif., voted present.

In a victory for President Bush and the GOP, the bill does not include an extension of the moratorium on offshore drilling for oil and natural gas off the U.S. coastline, allowing the ban to lapse.

More

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 03:36:02 PM »

If I remember right, only the periphery of that field extend into Nevada.  The majority of it is in Utah, Colorado and Wyoming.  Hence the reason I gave Senator Salazar his warning.  Shell Oil is about 9 months away from being ready to draw oil from the shale beds under their Rifle, CO site at a commercial scale.

Now if only we had the refining capacity in this country to handle the influx of new oil...

The CEO of Shell was on Glenn Beck last night...they are basically ready and willing to get going...problem is...they don't trust the government to uphold their end.  He was worried about investing millions to start this project up but then have the government, after the new president gets voted in next year, will change course.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 03:56:39 PM »

Shell will have pissed away millions of dollars on this project if Congress rejects it. They have a model that proves it does not hurt the Env. but the kooks are in full force to shut it down. Exxon abandoned this type of project many years ago because the profit margin was not great enough. The dumb asses in Congress can subsidize every thing under the sun but oil is evil.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 04:06:38 PM »

Shell will have pissed away millions of dollars on this project if Congress rejects it. They have a model that proves it does not hurt the Env. but the kooks are in full force to shut it down. Exxon abandoned this type of project many years ago because the profit margin was not great enough. The dumb asses in Congress can subsidize every thing under the sun but oil is evil.

Had an Engineer buddy of mine who did some of the system design work for the original testbed site up in Rifle (I presume it was Exxon that owned it originally, and the same project you're referring to).  They got it done, and amid much horseshit from the friendly neighborhood congress-shits, produced EXACTLY 1 barrel of oil as proof of concept, then tore down the whole facility - I expect as much out of frustration with the bureaucrats as protection of proprietary technology.