Author Topic: August 6th 1945...Honshu Island, Japan  (Read 6279 times)

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: August 6th 1945...Honshu Island, Japan
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »
"When I read that we will fight the Japs for years if necessary and will sacrifice hundreds of thousands if we must, I always like to check from where he's talking: it's seldom out here." That was Lieutenant (j.g.) John F. Kennedy.

Thank God for the Atom Bomb
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »
My Uncle Ed was a crew member on the USS Indianapolis that delivered the radioactive core. He survived the disaster afterwards, with no injuries except for psychological. Those injuries can be the worst of all.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 04:57:55 PM »
My Uncle Ed was a crew member on the USS Indianapolis that delivered the radioactive core. He survived the disaster afterwards, with no injuries except for psychological. Those injuries can be the worst of all.

What a horrific experience that must've been. Floating in the water for a week for most, so many just gave up, slipped away, and drowned.

The captain of that vessel also survived, but he committed suicide in the Sixties. The inevitable Navy board found him at fault, of course.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 05:01:53 PM »
What a horrific experience that must've been. Floating in the water for a week for most, so many just gave up, slipped away, and drowned.

The captain of that vessel also survived, but he committed suicide in the Sixties. The inevitable Navy board found him at fault, of course.
The captain of the Indy was found to be negligent for not zig zagging in attempts to prevent being torpedoed. The captain of the submarine later testified any amount of zig zagging would have made no difference.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 09:45:45 PM »
The captain of the Indy was found to be negligent for not zig zagging in attempts to prevent being torpedoed. The captain of the submarine later testified any amount of zig zagging would have made no difference.

As I recall, after the captain committed suicide and some years after that, he was essentially exonerated from wrongdoing. Of course, that didn't bring him back.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 12:04:11 AM »

My grandfather was a green as you get 'em 18-19 year old paratrooper who had reported to his unit with the 101st directly from jump school in July of 1945.

Yeah, you'll find no opponents of the bomb in this household. :whatever:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »
I didn't read any of the posts... gotta run... but the best political cartoon I had ever seen was back in the early 80's. Seems a bunch of japs was all upset on the that day and was protesting about no more nukes.

The cartoon:

Left pane: Jap guy with a protest sign saying: "No more Hiroshamas!!"
Right pane: American guy with a sign saying: "Easy! No more Pearl Harbors!"
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2013, 10:20:19 AM »
I didn't read any of the posts... gotta run... but the best political cartoon I had ever seen was back in the early 80's. Seems a bunch of japs was all upset on the that day and was protesting about no more nukes.

The cartoon:

Left pane: Jap guy with a protest sign saying: "No more Hiroshamas!!"
Right pane: American guy with a sign saying: "Easy! No more Pearl Harbors!"

Americans we have short memory's today's big news is forgotten in a few years.

Asians ------Very different and they nurse grudges for generations.

Korea, our American Koreans still hold unbelievable hatred for what the Japanese did to Korean woman and children when they invaded.

Taiwan--  Mousy stew as described to me by a war bride after the war.    She was 12 years older then me and described how the Japanese marched into villages, rounded up the males over 8-10, marched them to the center of town and forced the family's  to watch as they held games, of who could cut off the most heads in 60 seconds.  1997 she still refused to work with anyone Japanese. She was 3-4 at the time and still had nightmares seeing the faces of the enemy up close.

Main land China was even worse and the Japanese began to move into southern Asia.  The Philippians and Indonesia suffered big time.  Not so much from the anonymous bombs falling on them but the face to face brutality, this became an in your face horror, personal.

I fear the ways of today with our troops the ground ponders will someday go the same way, were we to pull our infantry out of the middle east, and become just anonymous danger to the people, carpet bomb the suckers, as we did in Germany when in one night we took out 40,000 men woman and children, it no longer remains Personal.   

I learned more about the horror of war from people that came from all over the world 25 years ago when I worked with the older people that lived through things we Americans have been so coddled by the Pacific's we cannot in our wildest dreams imagine happening to us.  This was living history from those that lived it, unfiltered by any liberal text book in school.

It is no wonder so many of our military on the front line commit  suicide.   They are just not prepared to see the Evil and commit acts that they have been taught to never  do in a civilized America.

Then when they finally except the rules of war by the enemy, they are arrested for pissing on the body of those that want to kill them.  Off to the brig for not respecting those that want to kill them.

When will we except that one can not fight a war by our rules, we must fight using the same rules and tactics of the enemy ???      They get a POW and drag them alive through the streets until they are dead, should we not retaliate by doing the same to a dozen of there's ???

Who says War should be civilized, get our people out and turn 10 miles of sand into glass.   

We ended the war with Japan with some Big Boys, why not the Middle East    ?

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »
Talk about nursing grudges for centuries...muslims. The only other race that may have an even greater capability to hold a grudge, the Chinese.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2013, 08:38:35 PM »
Americans we have short memory's today's big news is forgotten in a few years.

Asians ------Very different and they nurse grudges for generations.

Korea, our American Koreans still hold unbelievable hatred for what the Japanese did to Korean woman and children when they invaded.

Taiwan--  Mousy stew as described to me by a war bride after the war.    She was 12 years older then me and described how the Japanese marched into villages, rounded up the males over 8-10, marched them to the center of town and forced the family's  to watch as they held games, of who could cut off the most heads in 60 seconds.  1997 she still refused to work with anyone Japanese. She was 3-4 at the time and still had nightmares seeing the faces of the enemy up close.

Main land China was even worse and the Japanese began to move into southern Asia.  The Philippians and Indonesia suffered big time.  Not so much from the anonymous bombs falling on them but the face to face brutality, this became an in your face horror, personal.

I fear the ways of today with our troops the ground ponders will someday go the same way, were we to pull our infantry out of the middle east, and become just anonymous danger to the people, carpet bomb the suckers, as we did in Germany when in one night we took out 40,000 men woman and children, it no longer remains Personal.   

I learned more about the horror of war from people that came from all over the world 25 years ago when I worked with the older people that lived through things we Americans have been so coddled by the Pacific's we cannot in our wildest dreams imagine happening to us.  This was living history from those that lived it, unfiltered by any liberal text book in school.

It is no wonder so many of our military on the front line commit  suicide.   They are just not prepared to see the Evil and commit acts that they have been taught to never  do in a civilized America.

Then when they finally except the rules of war by the enemy, they are arrested for pissing on the body of those that want to kill them.  Off to the brig for not respecting those that want to kill them.

When will we except that one can not fight a war by our rules, we must fight using the same rules and tactics of the enemy ???      They get a POW and drag them alive through the streets until they are dead, should we not retaliate by doing the same to a dozen of there's ???

Who says War should be civilized, get our people out and turn 10 miles of sand into glass.   

We ended the war with Japan with some Big Boys, why not the Middle East    ?

I don't know about that Vesta. My great uncle served in the navy in the pacific in WW2. To his dying day he hated the japs... japs being defined as anyone that looked asian. He had a jap sword hanging in his den. I asked him about it one day. Said it was from a jap officer he killed.  Nice sword. Had jap writing on it. I asked if he ever had the writing translated. He said no... and he didn't care what it said. He said as far as he was concerned the guy that had it, his family, his nation could all go burn in hell.

He went to Hawaii back in the mid 90's. Came back and said the japs had taken over.

He really hated asians.

If we took the war to the muzzies like we did to Germany and Japan there would be no Al Queada. There would be a little bunch of muzzies tired of getting their ass slaughtered.

America has forgotten how to fight a war. Oh we can defeat armies... no doubt there... we just forgot how to fight a war to it's conclusion.

You can think the idiots that inhabit the dump for that.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 05:35:56 AM »
My Dad was in the Navy during WW2 in the Pacific. Was in from Summer 1943 until the end of 1945 when he earned enough points to be discharged. He won 7 battle stars. Saw lots of heavy action.

He told me that on board ship they had informed the sailors to be prepared to invade Japan, and word was every man, woman, and child was armed and would attack and they would fight to the death. Not hard to believe considering these were the same people who had their own funeral prior to climbing into planes to attack American ships. The fleet he was in was headed towards the mainland when orders came for every ship to turn 180 degrees away from Japan and go away at full speed. It was only after the bomb was dropped they were told about it.

So for all the libtard idiots out there, you bet the American men fighting that war were more than happy the bombs were dropped and the war was over. You nimrods can go take a long walk off a short pier.

I also was able to attend a speech by Col. Robert Morgan, a native of Asheville, NC and who flew the Memphis Belle, about a year before he died. In talking about the war and the eventual end, he also expressed his pleasure that the bombs were dropped on Japan because, and I remember his exact words, "We were all sick and tired of fighting the war and wanted to go home."

The Purple Heart medals that are being issued today were ordered for the expected casuallties from the invasion of Japan.