Author Topic: Violent Militia Groups Spreading Rapidly  (Read 3660 times)

Offline thundley4

Violent Militia Groups Spreading Rapidly
« on: August 12, 2009, 09:38:29 AM »

The AP has a report out tonight containing some sobering but entirely predictable information: according to ATF sources, militia groups concentrated in the South, Midwest and Northwest are growing rapidly as wild conspiracy theories fuel the spread of paranoia.
How wacky are the aforementioned conspiracy theories taking root in America's heartland? One such theory claims that Mexico is plotting to invade the country to reclaim the American Southwest as its own territory. And then of course there's the usual one about how our black/Nazi/Muslim/Kenyan president wants to mobilize an army of gay "Obamacare" warriors to euthanize the elderly, the young and the infirm, after the aforementioned gay warriors have sodomized them, their pets and their children, of course, among other things.

The AP report cites an ATF official named Bart McEntire who says that he believes it's "only a matter of time" before we see another Timothy McVeigh-like act of domestic terrorism, something that doesn't seem all that far-fetched in light of recent events.

The report mentions how the Ohio Militia group recently posted a recruiting video on YouTube, which brings up an interesting point/thought — back in the early 90s, when these same sorts of groups were something to really be concerned about, they, the militia groups, were restricted in terms of their ability to recruit broadly, organize and communicate/share "intelligence" with each other. Of course, with the proliferation of the internet, all of that has changed. Just as a relatively unknown black man from Chicago was able to harness the internet's power to rise up and become President of the United States, small factions of the wingnuttery are able to grow exponentially quite rapidly through the dissemination of propaganda in emails, chatrooms and videos. Whereas they once were relegated to mailing wacky newsletters made with some sort of crude printing mechanism in someone's basement and distributed to just a handful of like-minded idiots, they can now spread their messages virally to a much larger audience in very little time. It's enough to really scare the shit out of you when you really stop and think about it.
Gawker
AP's report on Yahoo.

A key difference this time is that the federal government — the entity that almost the entire radical right views as its primary enemy — is headed by a black man. That, coupled with high levels of non-white immigration and a decline in the percentage of whites overall in America, has helped to racialize the Patriot movement, which in the past was not primarily motivated by race hate. One result has been a remarkable rash of domestic terror incidents since the presidential campaign, most of them related to anger over the election of Barack Obama. At the same time, ostensibly mainstream politicians and media pundits have helped to spread Patriot and related propaganda, from conspiracy theories about a secret network of U.S. concentration camps to wholly unsubstantiated claims about the president's country of birth.
Southern Poverty Law Center

This all strikes me as a bit of fear mongering from the left. What "remarkable rash of domestic terror incidents", are they referring to?  Makes me wonder if the DHS is going to come out with some right wing extremist report soon.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Violent Militia Groups Spreading Rapidly
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 09:44:48 AM »
I'm calling b.s.  These organizations always existed, it is just convenient to bring them up again since there is a Democratic president.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 10:04:05 AM »
Funny how they want to denigrate it and exaggerate it at the same time, you think they'd get dizzy from their heads spinning around like that.  Of course there is substantial evidence that the press IS dizzy.

The militia stuff is for idiots, though.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 10:09:21 AM »
I'm calling b.s.  These organizations always existed, it is just convenient to bring them up again since there is a Democratic president.

Of course! They are also far more libertarian leaning and usually don't fall on either side of the recent traditional political aisle. I think perhaps the only reason they get lumped with conservatives(by the left) is because they generally share gun rights views with the right and many would consider themselves Christians(which as we know the left has pretty much pigeon-holed all Christians as right wing, militaristic zealots of the same stripe as Jihadists). But the similarities quickly end after that.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 10:16:08 AM »
Part of this has to be based on the fact that guns and ammunition sales have gone through the roof.  The far left doesn't realize that even some of their own sympathizers may being deciding that now is a good time to be able to defend themselves in their own homes.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 11:11:16 AM »
To the Libs/AP Militia member = War Veteran.

:whatever:
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 11:22:34 AM »
Ah, yes--thou shalt not question Teh Wun, lest you be called a racist, terrorist, etc.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 11:30:55 AM »
To the Libs/AP Militia member = War Veteran.

:whatever:

Perhaps, but I've met some militia types, and very few of them are vets.  They generally are not bad people but are military wannabes/neverwuzzes and tax protestor types, who probably couldn't have hacked it if they ever had joined.  There's a tiny sprinkling of dangerous nuts on top, like McVeigh, but the rest of them are mostly well-intentioned but quite paranoid and willfully misinformed about reality.  A lot of them aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but then half of humanity is below average, so what can you really ask.  Their outlook on the world is about as accurate as that of your typical DUer, it's just off-track in a different direction.  They'd have a very bad day if any of them ever came up against regular military forces, even not-very-good Third World ones.   

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 11:31:55 AM »
What about all of the insane animal rights groups, environmental groups, black supremacy groups, gay rights groups, anarchist, blah blah blah blah blah....  Not a single mention of the left's conspiracy theorist freaks and they are the ones that are always burning shit down, blowing shit up, and causing general mayhem.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 11:37:16 AM »
Now see, mama?  There ya go, interjecting facts and logic into a liberal screed and making their heads explode!
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 11:55:15 AM »
What about all of the insane animal rights groups, environmental groups, black supremacy groups, gay rights groups, anarchist, blah blah blah blah blah....  Not a single mention of the left's conspiracy theorist freaks and they are the ones that are always burning shit down, blowing shit up, and causing general mayhem.

They are righteous crusaders who should be held up as heroes against the Corporate Capitalist pigs trying to kill Mother Earth! /DU mode
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 04:02:57 PM »
Hey people!!

The source of this bit of tripe is the "Southern Poverty Law Center"...........do some reading on their website, they are as far-left as it gets, and over the years have labeled every group including the Boy Scouts as a "hate group"........shame on AP for even picking up this piece of garbage and reporting it as legitimate news......

This group (SPLC) has as much credibility as the DUmp.........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 04:10:56 PM »
This group (SPLC) has as much credibility as the DUmp.........

doc

I noticed that when I read the article in today's paper.  The SPLC is the MoveOn.org of hate-crime advocates.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 05:04:05 PM »
Ah, yes--thou shalt not question Teh Wun, lest you be called a racist, terrorist, etc.

"No I don't think government should bail out GM"

"Racist!"

"No I don't think socializing healthcare will improve it"

"Racist!"

"No I do not want government telling me how to raise my kids"

"Racist!"

"No I don't think government should raise taxes"

"Racist!"

"No I don't think government should take away gun rights"

"Racist!"

"No I don't think college admissions should be based on race"

"Racist!"

"I think government should just leave people alone and let us live our own lives"

"Racist!"

Offline 5412

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 07:13:21 PM »
Hi,

Glenn Beck mentioned tonight that the other networks are really playing up crime and pushing gun control.  I just wonder if this could be part of a plan to turn the public in favor of gun control.  Will not work, because if there is one issue that will unite and embolden the crazies is if the fed tries to take away their guns.  Suggest you folks go to the political thread where I posted a thread about you have to hear this.  It ties in directly with this thread, and is an eye opener to say the least.

regards,

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 05:59:00 AM »
Coulter had a good point last night on CSpan.  Look at the web traffic for these "hate" sites.  Tell me how much they're "skyrocketing".

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 08:39:10 AM »
Coulter had a good point last night on CSpan.  Look at the web traffic for these "hate" sites.  Tell me how much they're "skyrocketing".

...Especially after you subtract out how many of those hits are bandwagon journalists or 'Progressive activists' like SPLC checking on the Dread Enemy.

:lmao:

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 11:02:29 AM »
...Especially after you subtract out how many of those hits are bandwagon journalists or 'Progressive activists' like SPLC checking on the Dread Enemy.

:lmao:

Let me tell you my experience with these groups.

I would run into them at the firing range at the sports club I belonged to and was not impressed, just sad that they really believed they were protecting the country but scared shitless of my dog.

We don't have groups like the Weatherman today, so far, YET.

Most of these weenies are in the groups as a hobby.   Most started out playing war games with the paint ball, but, darn those balls HURT when they hit you in an unpaded place.

One group of people pulled up one day when there was just about 4 people including me and hubby at the range.   An out of state expensive SUV pulls up with 5 people in it.

First out was a woman with a  fanny the size of the back end of a school bus.  She gets out, shucks off her jacket  and is carrying 3 or four holsters with arms all nicely tied down.

The driver and 3 young men get out, all have there heads shaved as clean and shiny as a new baby's bottom.  They proceded to unload a darn arsenal of gun cases and the weapons were awe some.I had never before seen weapons like what they were toting about.

At this point Hubby mentioned it was time we went home, but for some reason I was getting interested in this tribe.

The woman was out there shooting hand guns with both hands like in a western movie, the men kept glancing at my Rottie tied to a tree 30 feet away.

One of the boys/men came to me and asked me to put the dog in the jeep, I told him the dog was in training not to react to sudden noises. [FACT].

WELL. that woman who turned out to be their Mother put the boys and her old man ? to shame, she reminded me of the folks that live in TNN. that can shout the eye out of a crow at great distance.    She was very good, much better with her hand guns then the men with these very expensive weapons----Darn a few of them looked like they were something out of Star Wars and the rounds were huge.

By now Hubby who was raised on the streets of a nasty town was getting itchier to go home.    Me, I was having the time of my life, I sat with my dog under a tree with the shot gun I was learning to controll with the leash in my hand. 

Poor Hubby, he was about to crap his pants everytime I walked down to talk to these people about their arms, taking the dog with me.

I had got there first with my dog I was training to handle sudden loud noises, if the dog scared them, what the heck if they had shot my dog I would have shot them the creeps.

I have no fear of these collective so called patriots, it is the single person that goes nuts that scares the knickers off me.

Any group of people armed to the teeth that becomes uneasy when an old lady and her dog show up at a firing range are not going to bother anyone, just keep blasting away at stationary targets and keep one eye out for a hoard of old folks with frothing at the mouth Poodles and calm, trained big dogs.

Darn if I can find an Attack rabbit----Run away, Run Away.

:lmao: :mental: ::)

The most dangerous people are the lone or semi-lone nut case that takes things into their own hands.   

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 11:08:05 AM »
We don't have groups like the Weatherman today, so far, YET.

Wanna bet?  Ever heard of "La Emme"?  La Raza?  Black Panthers?

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 02:45:04 PM »
Wanna bet?  Ever heard of "La Emme"?  La Raza?  Black Panthers?

Black Panthers I know, back in the early 1970 era I lived in Temp. housing in Calif waiting for on base housing.

Some of my neighbors around me had THOSE folk in the family. 

Being me and a very young naive woman made friend with most everyone around me.

Funny story, I stropped at a neighbors house, the family were black folks and the kitchen was full of woman playing cards.  Knowing me the invited me to join in for a game Of Spades,   My mind melted at that point and some how I managed to get home without falling down.  Came from long ago, something I had heard from family that caused me to hark back.

My 7 year old came home crying from school as some of the kids called her a Honkie, I had no idea what that meant and asked my friends if they knew.

Neighbors talked to my daughter and found out who was teasing her and no problem after that.

I tell you those years were most fun for me. Guess I was a real bag of nuts back then, I was interested in everyone who came into my life, be it the people that ran the Asian store down the street to the shop that made Mexican food, real hand made tortillas ,

Needless to say both my parents and the kids  fathers parents though I should be placed in a safe place.  Both sides were constantly asking why I let THESE people into my house.

When I gave birth to my number 4 child I found one day 5 boxes on my front door.==
All boxes said complements of the Black Panthers in your area.

Yeah, so my friends had helped me out, an outsider and a WHITE woman at that, To this day I don't really know what those guys are doing but I do know their woman at that time were were gracious and saw no color involved.

Life is strange but I don't expect an American Black, White, Asian  to be any different from my self---It is the Muslims that I have began to fear.

And yes I am sorry to say, this mind set is all to strange for me, but is growing in the world of Men that lust after virgin brides in another life and treat woman as Anamils in this life to gain what ever .

Today is another mind set, sort of, I no longer get out there except from work to to see life.   At work I cannot question anyone or even ask about their faith, a big NO-NO so I just have to wing it and hope my questions don't get me fired,

Sad, that as an American I cannot talk religion to an illegal alien with out  getting booted out the door.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 02:53:18 PM »
Todays Black Panthers:  You should have tried to vote there.  And of course,0Bama's AG is dropping charges against them.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGbKHyGuHU[/youtube]

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 06:21:05 PM »
All these reports about militias and extremists may be setting the stage for a crackdown. I don't like the looks of it.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 09:31:45 PM »

That is exactly what this is.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 05:29:32 AM »
All these reports about militias and extremists may be setting the stage for a crackdown. I don't like the looks of it.

I agree there Sam, so far we have not seen any one sign that any Group of people are doing anything but sitting around cleaning their weapons and talking big to each other.

The street gangs that terrorise their own neighborhoods see more action then the militants do.

The video of the Black Panthers of today made me chuckle. Some White dudes with a camera trying their best to rile up a couple of Panthers who were ARMED and DANGERIOUS carrying a freaking stick.

I suppose my cane that I must now use could be considered a dangerous weapon by some----What ever happend to Bat Masterson.???

The more people in a group the easier it is for Government agents to infiltrate, it is the Lone Wolves that are the biggest danger.  The independent people who trust no one and make their plans alone in the cellar of their parents homes.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 06:36:15 AM »

That is certainly what some of the people trumpeting it want.  The SPLC for sure, the ATF for institutional reasons, the MSM as a news-generating attack on a favorite target, and the Justice Dept. because Holder is running it.  Thing is, if they actively try to suppress it, they substantiate the paranoia that started it cause the militias to grow by leaps and bounds...personally I doubt if Holder is bright enough to figure this out.