Author Topic: Capt. Sullenberger Et Al Celebrated in Hometown  (Read 680 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Capt. Sullenberger Et Al Celebrated in Hometown
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:53:07 AM »

'Sully' gets hero's welcome in hometown of Denison

09:28 PM CDT on Saturday, June 6, 2009

From Staff Reports

DENISON, Texas -- Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger returned to his hometown of Denison today to a hero's welcome.
Video
Captain Sully Sullenberger of US Airways honored in Denison
June 6th, 2009

Dozens of people gathered inside the Katy Depot for a VIP reception honoring the US Airways pilot, who was cheered as he walked into the room with his wife.

Sullenberger became a national hero in January when he landed a crippled jet plane in the Hudson River, saving 155 passengers. He will speak tonight at the commencement ceremony for his alma mater, Denison High School.

There is also a rally and parade in his honor.

Sherry Christie, a spokesperson for the Denison school district, said the graduation invitation went out to Sullenberger within weeks of his spectacular landing on Jan. 15.

"David Bryant, who will be our master of ceremonies at the heroes event, graduated with Capt. Sullenberger and they've been friends forever and stayed in touch over the years," Christie said. More

Video

This is where I live.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tess Anderson

Re: Capt. Sullenberger Et Al Celebrated in Hometown
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:00:38 AM »
Oh, yeah, this guy. A hero indeed, but I never knew he was from Texas. Don't know why I should be surprised.

Offline Peter3_1

Re: Capt. Sullenberger Et Al Celebrated in Hometown
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:45:19 PM »
He reminds me very much of my old flying instructor. The reaLLY GOOD ones are like that. Skilled, courage filled, but not reckless or bragarts.