Author Topic: College Football Surprises 2008  (Read 2876 times)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
College Football Surprises 2008
« on: November 10, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
What do you think are the biggest surprises in college football this year?  Name as many as you like.

--------------------

My first one is the UNC Tarheels.  I figured Butch Davis would turn them around, but I didn't think it would happen this fast.

Second is the Big 10 (+1).  I didn't think it was possible for that conference to be worse this year than they were last year.  I was wrong.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: College Football Surprises 2008
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 03:18:10 PM »
University of Tennessee is in the tank.....and they finally decided to get rid of Fulmer.

Fulmer has been a great coach....but in the last few years, it hasn't seemed that his heart was in it. He waited to long to get rid of Randy Sanders as offensive line coach....yet Sanders is doing great at Kentucky. Makes one wonder if the problem was Sanders or Fulmer.

Supposedly, Butch Davis is at the top of the list to replace him. The local football shows yesterday morning said he'd be crazy not to consider taking the job if offered. SEC football is better than ACC, ESPN is going to be the new broadcast station for the SEC which is piling money into all the schools, and UT will pay him more than UNC does.

Course....some think Mike Leach will consider coming here too..... :lmao:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 03:21:42 PM »
Alabama going from #24 in the AP poll, and # 26 in USA Today poll, to #1 in the BCS poll.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 03:24:29 PM »
Be great if the Championship game was between Alabama and Florida.  :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline CBUSMS

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 03:36:34 PM »
Arizona State started the year ranked as high as 10th in some polls and is only 3-6.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 03:42:58 PM »
Michigan started out at #24 in the USA Today poll and lost to friggin' Toledo.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 03:44:17 PM »
Oklahoma State at 9-2 with a "new and improved" (re: Same ol' piss poor) defense.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 04:17:41 PM »
There will be a East Coast and Southern bias in all reporting and polls.

Oh wait -- that isn't a surprise at all.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »
Be great if the Championship game was between Alabama and Florida.  :-)

It will be. The SEC Championship. Those other suckass conferences don't have a championship. Like the Big Televen. Like the PAC-10.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 10:15:17 PM »
Clemson is up there too. They were preseason #9 in the AP poll.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 05:14:56 PM »
(another player not only decommitted to UT today....he went with SC) :banghead:

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 06:18:30 PM »
Supposedly, Butch Davis is at the top of the list to replace him.

I can't believe they got rid of Fat Phil.  So he had an off year, they still went to the SEC Championship last year and gave LSU a game.  I don't get it, but I've never really understood Vol fans, anyway.

Butch Davis was my first guess of who the Vols might get, and it would be a good choice.  I knew when Davis was hired at UNC there was no way they were going to hang onto him, he wants a bigger program.  Kind of a shame though, because the only 2 schools in NC that can really afford to pay a good football coach is UNC and NC State, but UNC would rather win basketball games.  And NC State would, too, for that matter.

Slightly off topic, but UNC is LOADED for basketball this year.  I mean just ab-so-lute-ly loaded.  But it's a little early, we'll do a thread on college basketball in a few more weeks.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 10:50:07 PM »
I can't believe they got rid of Fat Phil.  So he had an off year, they still went to the SEC Championship last year and gave LSU a game.  I don't get it, but I've never really understood Vol fans, anyway.

Butch Davis was my first guess of who the Vols might get, and it would be a good choice.  I knew when Davis was hired at UNC there was no way they were going to hang onto him, he wants a bigger program.  Kind of a shame though, because the only 2 schools in NC that can really afford to pay a good football coach is UNC and NC State, but UNC would rather win basketball games.  And NC State would, too, for that matter.

Slightly off topic, but UNC is LOADED for basketball this year.  I mean just ab-so-lute-ly loaded.  But it's a little early, we'll do a thread on college basketball in a few more weeks.

It was sheer luck that we got to the SEC Championship last year.

UT's offense has been known to the opposite team for years, because they haven't changed what they do for years.

For years, the problems were blamed on Randy Sanders. But he's at Kentucky now and doing really well.

He got Cutcliffe back, and things were good, but then Cutcliffe left and went to Duke where he is doing well.

Now, UT still has a crappy offense. Fulmer hired Clawson who doesn't know what he's doing and the responsibility  falls back on Fulmer.

For several million dollars a year that Fulmer is paid...it's a business and he's expected to deliver. With as much talent as this team supposedly has.....they are terrible. They haven't improved at all this season....if anything they have just gotten worse.

I don't agree with the way it was done.....I really think if left until the end of the season, Fulmer would have "retired". He just doesn't seem to have his heart in the program anymore and hasn't for a couple of years.

It's hard to feel too sorry for him....he's leaving with a $6.5 million buyout!

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 11:08:13 PM »
I thought that LSU would have a shot at the National Champ. again this year but their High School All American QB, Ryan Perrileaux got kicked off the team for getting in all kinds of trouble. He will be playing in the pros in 2 years if he gets his head screwed on right. Hopefully, LSU will recruit a top notch QB for next year.   

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 11:42:50 AM »
How about the 'Canes coming from 5-7 last year and a 2-3 start this year to a 5 game win streak that puts them at 7-3 and in the driver's seat to the ACC Championship?  All while playing 11 freshmen on the two deep roster and 31 freshmen overall suiting up.  Randy Shannon should really be getting some looks as Coach of the Year.

It's Great - To Be - A Miami Hurricane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 07:16:33 PM »
If ya'll can pardon the obvious homerism, the UC Bearcats team is a Saturday night win v Pitt away from shocking more than a few folks. They are on the verge of winning the Big East despite a massive QB shuffle and a bigger than average injury bug.

Not bad for a (former) basketball school.  :-)
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/gamecenter/recap/NCAAF_20081114_CIN@LOU
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 11:23:59 AM »
My other half is a UC grad and has been amazed and pleased this year over their success.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »
If ya'll can pardon the obvious homerism, the UC Bearcats team is a Saturday night win v Pitt away from shocking more than a few folks.

"More than shocking" is an understatement.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 08:18:30 PM »
My other half is a UC grad and has been amazed and pleased this year over their success.

Wow. I bet I'm all over his old stomping grounds since I live so close to campus. UC has been real fun to watch this year so high hopes for this Saturday.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 10:17:04 PM »
Wow. I bet I'm all over his old stomping grounds since I live so close to campus. UC has been real fun to watch this year so high hopes for this Saturday.

He grew up in Cincy, went to St Xavier's and then UC. Both sons and his dad went there too. His dad went to Elder, and one son to Moeller. High school football season can be interesting. :whatever: