Author Topic: hearing through one's teeth  (Read 2317 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
hearing through one's teeth
« on: December 20, 2011, 05:15:45 PM »
http://www.norfolkdailynews.com/news/new-hearing-device-a-perfect-fit/article_1654debc-2b23-11e1-b635-001a4bcf6878.html

Oh my.

I've never heard of this sort of thing.

New hearing device a perfect fit

.....Then, through a family friend, she heard about a new hearing device known as the SoundBite Hearing System.

Only available to the public since October, SoundBite is used to help patients with single-sided deafness or conductive hearing loss.

The SoundBite system consists of two components: an in-the-mouth hearing device and a small behind-the-ear microphone unit worn on the impaired ear.

The ear device uses a digital signal processor to process the sound, a second microphone for noise cancellation, and a wireless chip to transmit the signals to the mouth device, which in turn sends vibrations via the teeth near-simultaneously to both cochleae. As a result, sound is rerouted from the impaired ear directly to the good cochlea — bypassing the middle and outer ear entirely — to effectively restore the perception of hearing from the impaired ear, according to SoundBite’s website.

Simply put, SoundBite transmits sound through the teeth, Polodna said.....
apres moi, le deluge

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: hearing through one's teeth
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 07:15:56 AM »
http://www.norfolkdailynews.com/news/new-hearing-device-a-perfect-fit/article_1654debc-2b23-11e1-b635-001a4bcf6878.html

Oh my.

I've never heard of this sort of thing.

Frank, sound comes from waves that enter the ear to be jumbled about in the inner ear and sent to the brain to decode the waves.

For those that work for years in a high noise job even wearing ear plugs or muffs, some company's have their employees take a hearing test each year. 

Reason is sound waves bounce off the whole body, including the skull, not just the ears.  Some waves jangle the nerves as finger nails or chalk on a chalk board.   

Sound warfare has been around since Joshia blasted the gates to Jericho in the Bible.   If you Frank have ever hit your funny bone in your elbow, some sound waves produce the same feeling in your head.

We see these programs where the high pitch of an Opera singer will shatter Christal glasses, I imagine the pitch that can break a glass has some  bad effect on the people also.

The jaw is perfect as a transmitter of sound waves, without the inner ear to to send these messages to the brain to be decoded, constant waves cause confusion and migraines.   To block off the inner ear with plugs and muffs, it becomes very annoying to work 10 hours a day asking everyone to repeat themselves or to have to yourself have to repeat yourself.

The very reason riggers will direct cranes with hand movements, good to know that special language in case the 2 way radios go down.

As you Frank are deaf, you can still pick up vibrations that effect your body, these vibrations are sound waves that one may not hear with their ears but is felt by the flesh and bones of people, animals, those that in case of impending earth quake head for higher ground.

Zulus knew the effect of sound waves in the Boa War, constant pounding on the ground  by the thousands to cause intimidation of the enemy, days and nights of constant drumming, it literely drove some to commit suicide.

Frank, the incidence of people on antidepressants may well be because their body's and brains have an over load of Noise, sound waves.  The noise of everyday life, crying children, then off to work in a world of noise for 8-10 hours, home to crying kids, neighbors fighting, street sounds, sudden and abrupt.  TV, Radio and perhaps the phone ringing off the hook.  Off to bed for 6-8 hours with sleep interupted by dogs barking, motorcycles, ambulances and police cars.

Our world has changed from one of occasional noise to that of unrelenting assult on our body's.   You dear Frank may be more mentally healthier then those that must live under assult from man made sound waves 24/7 for life.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 10:27:27 AM »
Theoretically, this device would work.

Sound is conducted to the inner ear by two methods: sound waves vibrate the tympanic membrane, which is conducted via the ossicles (malleus, incus and stapes) to the inner ear, where the auditory nerve is stimulated by vibrations in the fluid within the cochlea; or via the vibrations traveling directly through the bones of the skull to the cochlea, stimulating the auditory nerve.

This allows audiologists to determine if someone is suffering from conductive hearing loss (i.e. vibrations are not getting to the cochlea via the ossicles) or nerve damage hearing loss (the auditory nerve is not being stimulated at all)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 10:33:52 AM »
Theoretically, this device would work.

Sound is conducted to the inner ear by two methods: sound waves vibrate the tympanic membrane, which is conducted via the ossicles (malleus, incus and stapes) to the inner ear, where the auditory nerve is stimulated by vibrations in the fluid within the cochlea; or via the vibrations traveling directly through the bones of the skull to the cochlea, stimulating the auditory nerve.

This allows audiologists to determine if someone is suffering from conductive hearing loss (i.e. vibrations are not getting to the cochlea via the ossicles) or nerve damage hearing loss (the auditory nerve is not being stimulated at all)

I thought it sounded doable.

I'm deaf, but I use various artifices and tricks to "hear," generally through anywhere on the body where two different bones connect, the joints.  Conduction of sound through the skeletal structure.  It's generally inefficient and faint, but I guess it's something.  Harpsichord music is the only sort of music that seems to come through on an enjoyable level, though.

I never thought of using the teeth, but it makes sense.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »
I thought it sounded doable.

I'm deaf, but I use various artifices and tricks to "hear," generally through anywhere on the body where two different bones connect, the joints.  Conduction of sound through the skeletal structure.  It's generally inefficient and faint, but I guess it's something.  Harpsichord music is the only sort of music that seems to come through on an enjoyable level, though.

I never thought of using the teeth, but it makes sense.

There's an old trick for hearing if something is on the other side of a wall (although you can't hear conversation or faint sounds) of placing a knife inbetween your teeth and placing the point against the wall.