Author Topic: If they come, he will build it -  (Read 3866 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

If they come, he will build it -
« on: April 19, 2008, 08:21:14 PM »

The "he" being Billionaire developer Edward P. Roski Jr.

Stadium plans unveiled to lure NFL team to Los Angeles
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/04/17/bc.fbn.nfl.losangeles.ap/index.html

"I intend to develop our stadium project that meets all of the NFL requirements, and more," Roski said at a Staples Center news conference, where stadium models and artist renditions were displayed. "Always the most important thing has been the certainty of doing this. A team is not going to commit to coming to Los Angeles without a stadium. We've taken this one point of uncertainty and made it a certainty. The stadium is a certainty and it will be built."

And, Roski added, without public money.

"Absolutely no taxpayer dollars," he said. "There's no taxpayer dollars to get."

The one obvious obstacle standing in the way is a tenant for the new stadium. Possibilities might include the New Orleans Saints, Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings and San Diego Chargers because of their stadium uncertainties.

Roski made it clear construction will not begin until a team agreed to move, adding he did not expect an expansion team to be involved.

The NFL has said it has no plans to expand from its present 32 teams, and it's also clear Los Angeles is not a high priority with the league at this time. But that might not stop a team with stadium uncertainties to make the move.

WOW  :o
Welcome to the Los Angeles Stadium 
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: If they come, he will build it -
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:45:25 PM »

I was born in LA, and I was very disappointed that the infighting screwed the city out of what turned into the Texans.

how can the NFL ignore the second biggest media market on the planet?

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 08:47:10 PM »

The "he" being Billionaire developer Edward P. Roski Jr.

Stadium plans unveiled to lure NFL team to Los Angeles
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/04/17/bc.fbn.nfl.losangeles.ap/index.html

"I intend to develop our stadium project that meets all of the NFL requirements, and more," Roski said at a Staples Center news conference, where stadium models and artist renditions were displayed. "Always the most important thing has been the certainty of doing this. A team is not going to commit to coming to Los Angeles without a stadium. We've taken this one point of uncertainty and made it a certainty. The stadium is a certainty and it will be built."

And, Roski added, without public money.

"Absolutely no taxpayer dollars," he said. "There's no taxpayer dollars to get."

The one obvious obstacle standing in the way is a tenant for the new stadium. Possibilities might include the New Orleans Saints, Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings and San Diego Chargers because of their stadium uncertainties.

Roski made it clear construction will not begin until a team agreed to move, adding he did not expect an expansion team to be involved.

The NFL has said it has no plans to expand from its present 32 teams, and it's also clear Los Angeles is not a high priority with the league at this time. But that might not stop a team with stadium uncertainties to make the move.

WOW  :o
Welcome to the Los Angeles Stadium 

wow, indeed!  that flash is awesome.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »

I was born in LA, and I was very disappointed that the infighting screwed the city out of what turned into the Texans.

It wasn't completely infighting. The NFL asked us to write a check and we said "excuse me, YOU need to write the check."

Houston paid $2 billion.  They can have the NFL.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 08:58:57 PM »

It wasn't completely infighting. The NFL asked us to write a check and we said "excuse me, YOU need to write the check."

it was mostly infighting, you have to admit.

and I read that they only paid 400 million for the next franchise . . . .

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »

Yeah, that is the professional sports teams' new approach. Tax-payer subsidized facilities upon which the money is never repaid.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 09:07:10 PM »

Yeah, that is the professional sports teams' new approach. Tax-payer subsidized facilities upon which the money is never repaid.

despite my conservative views, I never have a problem with taxpayer's dollars being used for military equipment, or ballparks. :-)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 09:16:48 PM »

despite my conservative views, I never have a problem with taxpayer's dollars being used for military equipment, or ballparks. :-)

Well, I could understand a little more if it were a NFL or MLB team (and I'm speaking based on the Seattle Sonics relocation to OKC) that I have to pay that $130-a-year estimated sales-tax increase for OKC residents. I mean it's not like Clay Bennett (husband of an E.K. Gaylord heir) and Aubrey McClendon (Co-founder of Chesapeake Energy) don't have the personal wealth to invest on that 170 million dollar Ford Center facility-upgrade. I mean we've already paid around 500 million dollars over the past 15 years for a new Triple-A baseball field and a 17,000 + seat arena.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 09:22:26 PM »

Well, I could understand a little more if it were a NFL or MLB team (and I'm speaking based on the Seattle Sonics relocation to OKC) that I have to pay that $130-a-year estimated sales-tax increase for OKC residents. I mean it's not like Clay Bennett (husband of an E.K. Gaylord heir) and Aubrey McClendon (Co-founder of Chesapeake Energy) don't have the personal wealth to invest on that 170 million dollar Ford Center facility-upgrade. I mean we've already paid around 500 million dollars over the past 15 years for a new Triple-A baseball field and a 17,000 + seat arena.

of all the things that we are forced to cough up money for, ballparks just don't bug me.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 10:12:29 PM »

They already have the second biggest media market, fans in LA watch the NFL. Why do they need a team there? Remember the Raiders and Rams? Never sold out, always blacked out.
Most every year we hear planted stories of the Chargers or the Vikes coming to LA and LA lets out a collective yawn.
Who does this benefit anyway?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 10:34:22 PM »

They already have the second biggest media market, fans in LA watch the NFL. Why do they need a team there? Remember the Raiders and Rams? Never sold out, always blacked out.
Most every year we hear planted stories of the Chargers or the Vikes coming to LA and LA lets out a collective yawn.

thinking that the NFL doesn't lust after a franchise in LA is just silly.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 12:10:02 AM »

I'd march side by side with ya brother to get the team that LA deserves. Of course, I want LA to have a team so that I have an NFL equivalent to the Yankees and/or Lakers to root against. You know... a team I can love to hate!

:lmao:

As a Seattle fan, I've had my share of hating Oakland but lets face it, the suck to bad to boo!  :-)

(plus the stadium looks farking awsome!!)
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 12:17:58 AM »

thinking that the NFL doesn't lust after a franchise in LA is just silly.

Oh hell yeah they lust after us.  And when our lefty brain kicks in (which it rarely does), we use that to our advantage.

Interestingly, the NFL needs to ensconce a team in L.A., because damn near every team in the league outside of GB, Pgh or NY has used us as a gun to the head of the cities saying "give us what we want or we go to L.A."

So the deal is still out there -- how much will you, the NFL, give us to allow a team back in?

I think the NFL just wants to stop the city-hopping for a few years.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 12:20:13 AM »

I'd march side by side with ya brother to get the team that LA deserves. Of course, I want LA to have a team so that I have an NFL equivalent to the Yankees and/or Lakers to root against. You know... a team I can love to hate!

As a Seattle fan, I've had my share of hating Oakland but lets face it, the suck to bad to boo!  :-)

Oakland is like my half-sister's husband. A bad ass in his day, he now has a gray pony tail, all the tats, leather Harley jacket and walks with an old lady walker. 

Pretty much sums it up.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 01:06:33 PM »

Oakland is like my half-sister's husband. A bad ass in his day, he now has a gray pony tail, all the tats, leather Harley jacket and walks with an old lady walker. 

Pretty much sums it up.

That's a H5 worthy analogy.  :-)

- Ayn Rand