Author Topic: Soldier to receive Medal of Honor posthumously  (Read 1400 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Soldier to receive Medal of Honor posthumously
« on: July 25, 2009, 09:48:12 AM »

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- An Army staff sergeant will posthumously receive the Medal of Honor after he sacrificed his own life in an effort to save another soldier in Afghanistan, the White House said Friday.

Staff Sgt. Jared Monti will receive the medal, the nation's highest military honor, on September 17 for his actions in combat, the White House said in a statement. His parents, Paul and Janet Monti, "will join the president at the White House to commemorate their son's example of selfless service and sacrifice."

Monti, of Raynham, Massachusetts, died June 21, 2006, while deployed with the 10th Mountain Division, according to a Web site set up by family and friends to announce a scholarship in his honor. He was 31 when he died.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/07/24/medal.of.honor.monti/index.html?iref=24hours
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Soldier to receive Medal of Honor posthumously
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 10:19:27 AM »
Prayers up, Staff Sergeant.  You honor us all.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."  -John 15:13
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 10:23:22 AM »
I would love to be able to see that citation, they usually make for incredible stories of bravery and valor, along with an element of "putting everything on the line for your friends".

But it has become a disturbing trend since Vietnam: the MOH has only been posthumously awarded.  That's why I don't want one, or a Purple Heart.

Offline djones520

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:29:27 AM »
I would love to be able to see that citation, they usually make for incredible stories of bravery and valor, along with an element of "putting everything on the line for your friends".

But it has become a disturbing trend since Vietnam: the MOH has only been posthumously awarded.  That's why I don't want one, or a Purple Heart.

Oh come on.  You can pull a John Kerry.  During a mortar attack shove a splinter of wood into your finger and presto, Purple Heart.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:35:02 AM »
But it has become a disturbing trend since Vietnam: the MOH has only been posthumously awarded.

I've done four of the Hall of Heroes induction ceremonies.  Sadly only one of them had the recipient there. 

That's why I don't want one, or a Purple Heart.

Me either...that's just an enemy marksmanship badge.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 10:46:15 AM »
Oh come on.  You can pull a John Kerry.  During a mortar attack shove a splinter of wood into your finger and presto, Purple Heart.

A purple heart requires two sworn statements from people who witnessed the wounding, a spot report of the contact, a medical report of the treatment recieved (if you don't need to go to the CASH to get it fixed, it isn't good enough), and it is the docs who submit the paperwork. In the off chance it doesn't get submitted, or lost into the system, then you have one hell of a problem getting it approved.

They've made it very hard for people pulling a J. Kerry.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 11:35:13 AM »
Thank you for your service Staff Sgt. Jared Monti... and prayers for you and your family....

Why did it take so long for this man to be awarded the Medal of Honor? He died June 21, 2006, that's three years ago...does it always take this long?
A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 12:10:53 PM »
I am surprised this administration would allow one to be given.  After all didn't he promise to withdraw all troops by now :sarcasm:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 12:13:15 PM »
It can, there's no limit to the amount of time for approval.  There's still work being done to upgrade MAJ Winters (of Band of Brothers noteriety) Distinguished Service Cross to a MOH, and that was for actions on D Day.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 04:23:28 PM »

As soon as I see the script for the induction ceremony...I'll transcribe the citation for everyone here.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 09:21:16 PM »
I'm not sure but I think this is the first MOH for anyone in the 10th Mountain Division. While stationed there back in 88-89 I don;t remember hearing of any being given out during WWII.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 06:16:46 PM »
I talked to my contact with the CSA's protocol office...he confirmed the 17 September date for the WH ceremony.  With the Hall of Heroes induction at the Pentagon on 18 September.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 06:30:18 PM »
It must be a honor to do that. Have you met any of the families or just spoken about the fallen soldiers?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 07:58:17 PM »
It must be a honor to do that. Have you met any of the families or just spoken about the fallen soldiers?

I've met three of the families...relatives of MSG Keeble from Korea...LTC Crandall and his wife...andthe family of SPC Ross McGinnis.  I gave them the script from the ceremony.

One of my favorite pictures since I've been here:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »
When did you do the one for LTC Crandall? Have you been able to keep in touch with any of them since their ceremonies?

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 09:29:36 PM »
Thank you for your service Staff Sgt. Jared Monti... and prayers for you and your family....

Why did it take so long for this man to be awarded the Medal of Honor? He died June 21, 2006, that's three years ago...does it always take this long?

In a lot of cases it takes even longer.  There is a lot of documentation that has to be provided to justify the MoH.  Interviews with the soldiers there with the potential recipient...his commanders etc.  Then a military commission looks at the evidence presented to them and with the SecDef makes the decision to approve or disapprove the presentation of the MoH.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 09:35:09 PM »
When did you do the one for LTC Crandall? Have you been able to keep in touch with any of them since their ceremonies?

LTC Crandall was two years ago in March.  There were seven other living MoH recipients there that day.  He's the only one I see on a regular basis.  He and his wife always talk to me like I was a friend from their neighborhood.

Last time I saw him was January 19th.  The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs holds a luncheon with all of the living MoH winners the day before the Inauguration.

I also see LTG (ret) Robert Foley, MoH recipient from Vietnam on a fairly regular basis.  He lives in the D.C. area and is an Honorary Regimental Commander of the Regiment.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 09:50:09 PM »
I am envious of your job :bow: I wish I could say I met let alone be able to have such a honor of speaking about them.