Author Topic: Feds Bust Dozens in Corruption Scandal (NJ)  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Feds Bust Dozens in Corruption Scandal (NJ)
« on: July 23, 2009, 09:18:23 AM »
The mayors of Hoboken and Secaucus were among 30 people arrested in early morning raids across New Jersey this morning as federal officials unveiled a long-ranging probe into public corruption and international money laundering, officials said

FBI and IRS rounded up scores of elected officials and several rabbis across the state in what is being described as one of the biggest investigations of its kind in Jersey's scandal-plagued history.   

It appears to be a corruption-related investigation but Justice Department and FBI spokesmen would only say the corruption involved a "high-volume international money-laundering conspiracy."  It is said to involve rabbis in the Syrian Jewish enclave in Brooklyn and Deal, New Jersey.  The probe is said to have started when money transfers drew the interests of the feds who followed the trail back to small-town Jersey corruption.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-Jersey-Scandal-Arrests-Corruption.html
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

Re: Feds Bust Dozens in Corruption Scandal (NJ)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:23:35 AM »
No mention of their party affiliation?

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 09:26:55 AM »
Must be democrats then.

searches...

Yep, democrats.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 09:28:11 AM »

It's New Joisey.  Take a wild guess.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline seabelle

• "she walked into the cave...she was not afraid"
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 10:16:59 AM »

.....or race ?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 10:42:44 AM »
I would guess that a couple of them were Italian.   :uhsure:
Name   Occupation   Democrat
Peter Cammarano   Mayor of Hoboken   Yes
Dennis Elwell   Mayor of Secaucus   Yes
Leona Beldini   Dep Mayor of Jersey City   Yes
Mariano Vega   Council President, Jersey City   Yes
La Vern Webb-Washington   Council Candidate, Jersey City   Yes*
Michael Manzo   Fire Department, Jersey City   No**
Daniel Van Pelt   New Jersey Assemblyman   No
*Ran as independent.      
**Ran as independent.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 03:08:09 PM »
More details, there are also pics available at the link
member of the New Jersey governor's cabinet has resigned amid a sweeping corruption investigation that has ensnared three mayors, two state legislators and several rabbis.
Speaking Thursday at a news conference, Gov. Jon Corzine said he asked Community Affairs Commissioner Joseph Doria to step down and that Doria agreed to leave office....
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iK4nrZ7GALyorz4G34gTnFocFM9gD99KAU3G0

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 03:11:18 PM »
Now the story gets weird...
U.S. rabbis suspected of brokering sale of human kidneys
Three New Jersey mayors and several rabbis were arrested on Thursday in a sweeping federal investigation into political corruption that also uncovered human kidney sales and money laundering from Brooklyn to Israel, authorities said.

Among the 44 people arrested were Hoboken Mayor Peter Cammarano, who took office 23 days ago.

One of the many criminal complaints filed in the case also accused a Brooklyn man, Levy Izhak Rosenbaum, with conspiring to broker the sale of a human kidney for a transplant, at a cost of $160,000 to the transplant recipient.

According to the complaint, Rosenbaum said he had been brokering the sale of kidneys for 10 years.

It's teh Joooooooos!!
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 03:18:27 PM »
Now the story gets weird...
It's teh Joooooooos!!
:rofl:

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »
The Republicans in Jersey are just almost as effed-up as the Dems.  Above some of the small towns, the entire place is a cess pool of institutionalized corruption.  The Republicans just don't have the upper hand in any of the large-city governments, so any scandal that breaks is inevitably going to hit more Dems than Republicans.  Politically, NJ Republicans make Steele and McCain look like staunch pillars of the Conservative platform.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 04:45:26 PM »
The Republicans in Jersey are just almost as effed-up as the Dems.  Above some of the small towns, the entire place is a cess pool of institutionalized corruption.  The Republicans just don't have the upper hand in any of the large-city governments, so any scandal that breaks is inevitably going to hit more Dems than Republicans.  Politically, NJ Republicans make Steele and McCain look like staunch pillars of the Conservative platform.

New Jersey has a long history of corruption.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »
Levy Izhak Rosenbaum of Brooklyn called himself a "matchmaker," but his business wasn't romance. Instead, authorities say, he brokered the sale of black-market kidneys, buying organs from vulnerable people from Israel for $10,000 and selling them to desperate patients in the U.S. for as much as $160,000.

The alleged decade-long scheme, exposed this week by an FBI sting, rocked the nation's transplant industry. If true, it would be the first documented case of organ trafficking in the U.S., transplant experts said Friday

Pravda

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 09:28:07 AM »
Rosenbaum was one of the people arrested by the FBI in last week's NJ corruption sting.

Blago must be kicking himself for not getting in on the action.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 05:23:11 AM »
Rosenbaum was one of the people arrested by the FBI in last week's NJ corruption sting.

Blago must be kicking himself for not getting in on the action.

The only thing that surprises me is how careless these YOB were.

The last 18 months must have been a roller coaster for the investigators, every day a fun day of finding out more and more corruption in every corner.

Correct me if I error in this observation but I find the longer a game is played with one side allways winning, the winning team gets sloppy and lets down their guard, this can be said for crooks or our military complex.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 07:47:31 AM »

The last 18 months must have been a roller coaster for the investigators, every day a fun day of finding out more and more corruption in every corner.

Correct me if I error in this observation but I find the longer a game is played with one side allways winning, the winning team gets sloppy and lets down their guard, this can be said for crooks or our military complex.

You aren't going to win many friends around here with an attitude like that.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 12:05:56 PM »
You aren't going to win many friends around here with an attitude like that.

It's Vespa, so I doubt many will notice. I know I take he/her/it with a grain of salt.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 12:21:11 PM »
It's Vespa, so I doubt many will notice. I know I take he/her/it with a grain of salt.

A grain of salt, a few oxycontin, a couple of joints, all washed down with some wine and you might understand where she is coming from.  :-)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 01:30:11 PM »

:bird:

Pretty lame example, dontcha think, vesta?

Ever hear of something called esprit and After Action Reviews and any number of mechanisms whereby the military examines itself to see where there's improvement to be made?

Oh wait. You have no background in the military, right? So right away you have no idea WTF you're talking about.

Got it.   :loser: 

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 09:04:32 AM »
:bird:

Pretty lame example, dontcha think, vesta?

Ever hear of something called esprit and After Action Reviews and any number of mechanisms whereby the military examines itself to see where there's improvement to be made?

Oh wait. You have no background in the military, right? So right away you have no idea WTF you're talking about.

Got it.   :loser: 

I stand by my words, the military is getting sloppy due to Congress refusing them funds to build more planes for defence. or more research into some remarkable new war machines that boggle the mind, machines that do not kill, just uses sound/and or light to confuse and cause great panic among the enemy.----I have seen a couple of very interesting devices on the history channel that have no funding until they get government grants.

When we finally get our National Guard home from overseas and they come from the border states, put them to work defending America on its own soil.

I know we cannot send the Guard into American City's to hunt down criminals, but there is a way around that.

This is my complaint, that the military complex is hog tied by politics.

I"M enjoying this, friends or not, you are teaching me much.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »

When we finally get our National Guard home from overseas and they come from the border states, put them to work defending America on its own soil.

I know we cannot send the Guard into American City's to hunt down criminals, but there is a way around that.

Yeah, there is a way around it.  0Bama and his "Army of Brownshirts".  It's recently came to light that some in the Bush administration had discussed using the military to capture the Laxawanna Six.  That revelation hasn't went over too well with the liberals, but I'm sure if Lord Zero did it, there would be no problem with the Constitution.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 10:06:33 AM »
I stand by my words, the military is getting sloppy due to Congress refusing them funds to build more planes for defence. or more research into some remarkable new war machines that boggle the mind, machines that do not kill, just uses sound/and or light to confuse and cause great panic among the enemy.----I have seen a couple of very interesting devices on the history channel that have no funding until they get government grants.

Wow. When I watch the History Channel, I'm amazed too. And then I change the channel.

I have had the opportunity of reading your drivel on far too many occasions. Your descriptions, examples, and overall points remind me of a nut looking for a squirrel.

Uh huh. Let's completely subvert the Posse Comitatus Act. Got it.  I mean, hell, Lord Zero and his henchmen have lied and manipulated their way into subverting the Constitution, why not just make a mockery of yet another useless law?   :loser: 

This is my complaint, that the military complex is hog tied by politics.

Here's a news flash for you, vesta. The military has ALWAYS been hogtied by politics. It didn't happen yesterday. It didn't happen last week. It's always been there.

You can bitch and complain about the expensive gadgets and stealth weaponry that make the Pentagon drool, but the men and women who are wearing the uniform are going to use the tools that Congress - the very politicians you're bitching about - allow the military to have.

I'll go with you on one thing - there is an overall entity, system, and organization that is in place. This "thing", which Dwight Eisenhower warned us about, that he called the military-industrial complex, is so far entrenched into the Pentagon's way of doing business that even the Pentagon doesn't know who does what.

Blame the bureaucracy all you like -- I agree with you about that.

But the men and women who wear the uniform are doing what they're doing because they volunteered for it. They're serving their country and with few exceptions, they're doing it proudly, competently, and to great effect.

I"M enjoying this, friends or not, you are teaching me much.

Good.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 11:29:13 PM »
Edward DeFazio says a relative found the body of 61-year-old Jack Shaw
Jack Shaw of Jersey City, one of the 44 people arrested in Thursday's massive New Jersey corruption scandal, was found dead in his apartment this evening, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio has confirmed.

Homicide investigators as well as the regular police contingent responded, DeFazio said, noting that no weapon was found.

An autopsy will determine the cause of death, he said.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator

Offline thundley4

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 06:34:38 AM »

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 08:42:35 AM »
So he won't be needing his kidneys now ...  :-)
:rotf:  That was just evil. :-)