Author Topic: Roadblock Thrown In Way Of Clinton's Confirmation  (Read 675 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Roadblock Thrown In Way Of Clinton's Confirmation
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:40:59 AM »
WASHINGTON (CBS) ―

A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says Hillary Rodham Clinton will not be confirmed as secretary of state Tuesday because of a single senator's objection.

Reid spokesman Jim Manley said Republican John Cornyn of Texas has indicated he will block a move to confirm Clinton by a unanimous floor vote later in the day.

But Manley also said there would be a roll call vote Wednesday. And he predicted that "she will receive overwhelming bipartisan support" at that time.
The Senate does plan to confirm several of President-elect Barack Obama's Cabinet by unanimous vote later Tuesday.

Neither Cornyn nor his office was immediately available for comment. ...
http://wcbstv.com/topstories/hillary.clinton.confirmation.2.912836.html

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Roadblock Thrown In Way Of Clinton's Confirmation
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 02:00:33 AM »
WTF? Why would the republicans seat Panetta as CIA director, and Clinton as Sec State? On what planet is either of them holding those positions a good idea? after 8 years of the democrats screwing around with Bush's appointees, payback should be a bitch.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Sam Adams

Re: Roadblock Thrown In Way Of Clinton's Confirmation
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 03:56:46 AM »
Okay, now I understnd something I read earlier. Apparently, there was a confrontation between Clinton and Cornyn on the day of the inauguration. I think it was in the Capitol building. No one heard what they said, but apparently Clinton was holding onto Cornyn and not letting go.